Willz 120g Monti Lagoon (probably Exhibit A in the future divorce...)

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Drained out the soak water. Added 10 gallons of RO and one gallon of the acid. Added a piece of the rock back in and it was like the volcano science fair experiment:

0f6672b256a6d3ccffc729c828af3e04.jpg

Looking at all that foam I started to wonder how I had ever added untreated rock to any tank!!! It looked like eleven gallons of gross skimmate sitting on the surface. While putting the rock in I managed to get some very small holes in the gloves. At that point I started to freak out about my fingertips and nails. I could just see not being able to log into my iPhone because my prints were burned off....

I pulled all the rock out and rinsed the container and the rock with more RO. Let them dry while I went to town to buy some bleach.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your tck beautiful huge pack that's going to be amazing growing out in your system. Definitely a ton of color combination in the pack.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a half hour later I could notice a big difference. One of the rocks would not fit underwater all the way and you can see the line and color difference above and below the water:

2719b228dc6e3adf653c97e7df94630a.jpg

And an overall shot of the tank showing the difference between the prior shot and now:

e023e46d151a044f4b578b5e3cdbf68b.jpg

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an old power head circulating the water. I'll probably let it do its thing for the next four hours then rotate the rock so its other side is in water and let it go another 4 hours. Then drain and add new water.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on your tck beautiful huge pack that's going to be amazing growing out in your system. Definitely a ton of color combination in the pack.

Thanks! They were super cool and are holding for a few months while I get the new tank established. I can't wait to see them in person.

That brings me to another question for the forum: eventually I want to plumb this together with my existing tank, does anyone have experience with adding a larger new system into a an existing established aquarium? Ostensibly the add on is a frag tank, and the existing system is the DT. The volumes are totally backwards though. The DT is a 75g with a 38g sump (which will be taken offline once they are plumbed together). While the new frag tank is 120g with a 70g sump.

Some thoughts I had were to keep separate until after the cycle on the new tank is done (obviously). While cycling to use the water from the DT's water changes to add into the frag tank. And of course getting some rubble rock from the sump of the old tank to kick off the bio on the new tank.

Sound like a start?

Eager to hear others feedback and experience!

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sophie the dog doesn't know what to think about all the craziness in the basement:

301bb0c1ad9d83dcf5ae569bb675c215.jpg

I get a sense that she sides with mom on all the foolishness I'm up to. #reproachfulmaltese

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask u why u want the two tanks on the same system?

I have always wanted to have a giant system together as well but after reading up on everything and realizing that one stuck doseing pump or anything like that kills both tanks instead of one. With having it as two separate systems if something goes wrong in one u can transfer to the other just a thought.

And ur way would work in plumbing it together just make sure the levels or better word parameters are all the same when u combine them.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask u why u want the two tanks on the same system?

I have always wanted to have a giant system together as well but after reading up on everything and realizing that one stuck doseing pump or anything like that kills both tanks instead of one. With having it as two separate systems if something goes wrong in one u can transfer to the other just a thought.

And ur way would work in plumbing it together just make sure the levels or better word parameters are all the same when u combine them.

I have a separate 75g tank running for emergencies. But it and the other 75g are fairly low tech. I use kalkwasser in the ATO, they don't have a controller, etc. My hope was to use the controller for the two systems and still keep a low tech tank going for emergencies. Just in case "the collapse" happens. Haha... So really my thought was more from a money savings aspect. Since running two together would only require one doser, controller, skimmer, heater, etc.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why I'm not worried about the weather:

b5a3b2575eeff605eb376972fdd123a5.jpg

And plenty of fuel:

fa7d9753e93fac78f0025d1527dd6ac4.jpg

17kW is plenty of power for the whole house and the tanks. Plus it has a junction box to automatically disconnect the outside power and start the generator. Seamless power supply in an emergency. ;)

I'd only have dollar bin Zoas if I didn't have this insurance policy. Highly recommended to anyone with a reef tank!

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some new coral coming tomorrow that is destined for this tank once it is cycled:

Voodoo Corals
2 x Juicy Fruit Monti
WWC Looney Tunes Stylo
JF Altered Ego
TDF Infected Monti

TSA
John Deere lephastrea
TSA Hot Tamale Monti

I think @Clayalaleona is shipping:
RR Crazy T
WWC Cherry Tree Monti colony

tonto95

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the neptune systems forum for help on programming for your setup. If you run into problems there is always help available from neptune online.

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the neptune systems forum for help on programming for your setup. If you run into problems there is always help available from neptune online.

Thanks! I'll keep this in mind if I run into any snags :) Good information!

OP
OP
Willz

Willz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank came in cracked by the freight company. I'm working with them to issue a refund. It was shipped on a pallet and the freight company cut the straps and put it in the trailer without the pallet. The side that was supposed to be protected by the pallet was no longer protected and was scratched beyond repair. I noted the damage and got it home to see if it might be salvageable by leak testing it. When I got it out of the cardboard the bottom panel was cracked where the overflow was.

So, looks like it is back to the drawing board. Bummed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back