Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of lighting Ive got 3 gen 4 xr15s over my 48in shallow tank, I am running coral labs lps program and had it at 45% intensity. I think I'm lower the intensity to 30% and see if that would help make this guy a bit happier. I haven't tried to feed yet i figured I would wait until next week sometime but am dosing reef energy nightly now instead of only a few times a week. My Po4 seems to have gone up and I am considering running a little gfo to bring it down. I figure reef energy daily will continue to increase my nutrients so I'm v going to have to work a bit harder at export.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one of those really large turkey basters from the grocery store. I then hover it above my coral and let them slowly fall out until enough have dropped.
OK that seemed like the best idea. Now I have several types of pellets on hand formula 1 and 2, spectrum and some other stuff would that be acceptable?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of lighting Ive got 3 gen 4 xr15s over my 48in shallow tank, I am running coral labs lps program and had it at 45% intensity. I think I'm lower the intensity to 30% and see if that would help make this guy a bit happier. I haven't tried to feed yet i figured I would wait until next week sometime but am dosing reef energy nightly now instead of only a few times a week. My Po4 seems to have gone up and I am considering running a little gfo to bring it down. I figure reef energy daily will continue to increase my nutrients so I'm v going to have to work a bit harder at export.

Reef energy is the most important thing for cold water wilsos. They live in highly nutrient rich lagoons flush with a ton of amino acids available. Reef energy a+b shouldn’t make much of an impact on phosphate levels.

Just make sure you don’t decrease phosphate levels too much. And 100% make sure you don’t let your N/P get above 20x, that’s a surefire way to tick corals off. Phosphates are criminally misunderstood among reefers. If it’s algae you’re concerned with, you won’t see much pop up as long as your N/P is below 15x and your nitrates are at a reasonable level.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK that seemed like the best idea. Now I have several types of pellets on hand formula 1 and 2, spectrum and some other stuff would that be acceptable?

Anything between .75-1mm. Just make sure these aren’t pellets for herbivore fish or anything. I stick with coral frenzy and fauna marine because they are made for these corals. None of the brands let us know their content so it’s best to know you’re getting protein and carbs from the pellets. Any mysis and krill based Pellet will do.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef energy is the most important thing for cold water wilsos. They live in highly nutritent rich lagoons flush with a ton of amino acids available. Reef energy a+b shouldn’t make much of an impact on phosphate levels.

Just make sure you don’t decrease phosphate levels too much. And 100% make sure you don’t let your N/P get above 20x, that’s a surefire way to **** corals off. Phosphates are criminally misunderstood among reefers. If it’s algae you’re concerned with, you won’t see much pop up as long as your N/P is below 15x and your nitrates are at a reasonable level.
That's what's odd I have only small patches of algae in my tank. That's why it kind of caught me off guard
20191227_142210.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what's odd I have only small patches of algae in my tank. That's why it kind of caught me off guard
20191227_142210.jpg

To make a complex synopsis succinct: High nitrates are very bad for coral growth while corals under low N but extremely high P grow almost as fast as corals under optimal N/P levels.

Algae can only grow up to the N level provided, regardless of the phosphates. It’s also important to know that when N/P levels get larger than the 15-20x range, that’s when nuisance algae occurs. The most successful reefs around the world right now have N/P ratios of 4-7x meaning if my N is .5, the optimal phosphates would be about .1.

This should do a better job of explaining how crucial phosphates are to corals and how harmful high nitrate levels are as well: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5441187/

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20191229_005918.jpg

Using my knock off polyplab blue led flashlight.
Looks happy to me. Does he ever get spiny when your peak whites/uv are on?

Also, how long have you had yours in full shade like that? I may have missed how long you’ve had him and the condition you received him compared to the condition he’s in now.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks happy to me. Does he ever get spiny when your peak whites/uv are on?

Also, how long have you had yours in full shade like that? I may have missed how long you’ve had him and the condition you received him compared to the condition he’s in now.
I got him Dec 26th, I have no idea how long lfs had him. He sometimes gets a little jagged if I look at him. I've had him in full shade since I got him. I lowered my intensity and am going to slowly introduce more indirect light. This is the day I got him.

20191226_152844.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got him Dec 26th, I have no idea how long lfs had him. He sometimes gets a little jagged if I look at him. I've had him in full shade since I got him. I lowered my intensity and am going to slowly introduce more indirect light. This is the day I got him.

20191226_152844.jpg
I'll be watching his progress. You'll be teaching us a lot by having him in full shade and dosing aminos daily.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I look at him I think Maybe I should feed sooner than later... Looks like he's ready to eat.
20191229_005918.jpg
20191229_015339.jpg

They can eat a TON, mine easily eats more than even my hungriest corals i.e. scoly, trachy, lobo. My wilsoni eats about 30 1mm pellets every two days. It's done wonders for his health.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back