Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to touch base with western aquarium fish. Here are some pointers he provided

6A9F79ED-75C2-46A5-8253-44674AD5A063.jpeg
F618E82A-F371-4E20-8661-8D246F0D835B.png
4D9FB895-12B5-4A49-B7D6-E675EB76EE21.png
I also got a reply to my DM and he had positive things to say about being able to bring my wilsoni back it former glory. He actually also said I should not keep it in any direct light whatsoever. Heavy feeding schedule was also encouraged which is pretty much the only advice I think I've universally heard.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that's how they look fragged. I guess i didn't think they had been very successfully propagated yet. I'm going to assume that if it's been fragged someone had found some degree of success with its lineage. I would think someone wouldn't just go around fragging an expensive and rare coral without reasonable assumption it would survive long enough to sell. It's it orange and green?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that's how they look fragged. I guess i didn't think they had been very successfully propagated yet. I'm going to assume that if it's been fragged someone had found some degree of success with its lineage. I would think someone wouldn't just go around fragging an expensive and rare coral without reasonable assumption it would survive long enough to sell. It's it orange and green?
Incorrect. Plenty of coral sellers chop wild colonies, especially very large and/or high value/color. Some live, then die like a whole wilsoni later.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if it is or not. I got it from a pretty good shop and I'm not sure how long he had it

If it’s a good shop then it’s probably a warm type or the seller already acclimated the temperate one for you.

Judging by the pic, and your tanks temp, it might be warm.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been about 5 days since I got my tank temp to 76 and over a week since I started to feed the wilsoni pellets as well. It seems that everything has had a positive impact. He has puffed out quite a bit more and I haven't noticed the spiney retraction at all. Still not seeing any color return. I don't think. I was told it was pink but I'm not sure anyone could make that call when it was so bleached. Here's a picture from a little bit ago.
20200107_160155.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been about 5 days since I got my tank temp to 76 and over a week since I started to feed the wilsoni pellets as well. It seems that everything has had a positive impact. He has puffed out quite a bit more and I haven't noticed the spiney retraction at all. Still not seeing any color return. I don't think. I was told it was pink but I'm not sure anyone could make that call when it was so bleached. Here's a picture from a little bit ago.
20200107_160155.jpg

I’m finding it hard to determine if zooxanthelle is returning or not as well. I personally feel like their cell densities are growing and maypotentially be showing a new color but it’s hard to tell.

I think I’m going to start taking a picture at the same time and position everyday to compare.

Yours looks better to me but it could be the light. These guys also take forever to show any kind of signals. It seems like it takes weeks of acclimating to determine if they like something or not.

As long as he’s happy and puffy then I’d say he’ll return. Your amino feeding, lowering temp, and par reduction should definitely help. That’s what I’m doing atm.

tank temp is down to 75, par reduced by about 90% mainly whites, uv, violet, and reds. I’m also keeping up with a daily amino feeding session as well as every other day pellet feeding. This guy can consume about 30 1mm pellets in one sitting, never seen a coral eat so much

Last edited:

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200107_160155.jpg

I definitely see the outer polyps being pink. I feel like we may potentially have the same wilsoni. Mine has the yellow in the inner polyp and a purple/pink rim. Yours looks like mine but just in a little better shape.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely see the outer polyps being pink. I feel like we may potentially have the same wilsoni. Mine has the yellow in the inner polyp and a purple/pink rim. Yours looks like mine but just in a little better shape.
So I was going through my pictures and it looks like I inadvertently took a picture of my wilsoni a few weeks before.

Screenshot_20200107-190939_Maps.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm learning a lot from this thread. This is the best one I've found on wilsoni care

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm learning a lot from this thread. This is the best one I've found on wilsoni care
I couldn't find anything really when I started to search, so I figured I'd contribute what I doing and progress (or lack of) to maybe help the next reefer keep a really cool coral healthy.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed some red/brown lines/stripes coming in on my wilsoni. This guy was paper white when I went and picked him up, these lines were definitely not present at that time. The yellow is also coming in heavier.

I’ve also noticed a red haze coming in on some polyps but it’s too minor to capture.

I contacted Keith one last time and he said that it’s 100% zooxanthelle returning. Feels pretty good to know at least some progress has been made.

I’ll keep you updated as things progress.

D0D1113D-B756-435E-AF87-AABADCBAED20.png

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve noticed some red/brown lines/stripes coming in on my wilsoni. This guy was paper white when I went and picked him up, these lines were definitely not present at that time. The yellow is also coming in heavier.

I’ve also noticed a red haze coming in on some polyps but it’s too minor to capture.

I contacted Keith one last time and he said that it’s 100% zooxanthelle returning. Feels pretty good to know at least some progress has been made.

I’ll keep you updated as things progress.

D0D1113D-B756-435E-AF87-AABADCBAED20.png
So I THINK i am now actually seeing the smallest about of color return. However since I study it so much it coukd be my eyes playing tricks. A buddy of mine actually told me about a practice one of the he people knows uses when dosing aminos. So simple I can't believe it didn't cross my mind. He takes a medium Tupperware and fills it with tank water and adds small amount aminos and let it sit for 10 minutes. Ive never tried it but it sounds intriguing. Any input with that process?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I THINK i am now actually seeing the smallest about of color return. However since I study it so much it coukd be my eyes playing tricks. A buddy of mine actually told me about a practice one of the he people knows uses when dosing aminos. So simple I can't believe it didn't cross my mind. He takes a medium Tupperware and fills it with tank water and adds small amount aminos and let it sit for 10 minutes. Ive never tried it but it sounds intriguing. Any input with that process?

I’m not sure as to the method he’s performing but yes aminos will help profoundly with temperate wilsonis.

These guys are found deep down in kelp forests. They have huge levels of aminos.

I dose reef energy a+b twice a day now. I would do it if you haven’t.

It will help the coral survive and maybe grow while we wait on the zooxanthelle to return 100%.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.2%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 74 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back