Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my current light schedule

Screenshot_20191230-005927_Chrome.jpg
Which color bars are uv and violet? I also can't see your schedule.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally found some answers, there is an insta account where they care for a TON of temperate wilsonis. I’m waiting for his response but he does have a lot of interesting info on there.

7E56A1B3-9DD4-484A-8B16-FD82215015FC.png

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool!! Invite him to come join the party here!

Will give it a shot. I'll be sure to relay his answers on here. It looks like he takes care of 10+ temperate wilsonis at any given moment. His pictures are amazing. You can check him at western_aquarium_fish

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just randomly stumbled upon a guys channel who got to check out western aquarium fish. They are located in western Australia so basically are exactly where the cold water wilsos are.

Check this out, they have hundreds of them, we need to get this guy on the forum to teach us:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I pulled the trigger and am now going to. Try and bring him back here is my new inhabitant

20191226_160415.jpg 20191226_160408.jpg 20191226_163203.jpg
Super bleached... These are generally difficult corals to begin with, sadly I don’t think this will work out well.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had several. My rainbow from AquaSD has been with me 9 months. It lost a little tissue, and went pretty much full red despite being in a cave on the bottom. What’s left of it still inflates. They live to eat, but honestly feeding it frequently or not doesn’t seem to impact its observable extension.

I had a purple/blue one from aquaSD that bleached immediately despite being in a cave. It’s had a thin surviving colorless but of flesh surviving on it for almost 9 months. It’s a joke. I don’t know why it’s alive at all. Odd.

My oldest is a green and purple from TSM. I’ve had it nearly two years. Big eater, but I don’t feed it too often anymore because it started its decline while heavily feeding... Cutting back doesn’t seem to change it. Basically for nearly a year it opened massively. It was gorgeous. Then it stopped opening fully. Moving it, changing light, flow, nothing changed that. It continued to open less and less. It lost part of a lobe. It seems like it’s been pretty steady lately, opening to maybe a quarter or less of it’s former glory. I have no idea why it doesn’t inflate fully anymore ever, why it doesn’t finish dying, or start to grow anymore... It’s a bummer.

TSM told me this spring they “haven’t cracked the code on Wilsonis, and we’re no longer selling them at that time.

BeautifuI, tragic, piles of my money burning to death very very very slowly in two out of three of my tries, and very quickly and then very very slowly on try three. I need to be done with them now. When I see them I look away.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super bleached... These are generally difficult corals to begin with, sadly I don’t think this will work out well.
I disagree. A lot of people purchase very bleached wilsos and with the proper care for temperate wilsonis bring them back.

If you're having a wilso bleach immediately then you're not acclimating them starting at no higher than 72F. They will immediately lose 90% of their zooxanthelle if dropped into a tank higher than this temperature.

Were these temperate wilsonis or warm?

Don't blame the coral, they require proper care.

Last edited:

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I disagree. A lot of people purchase very bleached wilsos and with the proper care for temperate wilsonis bring them back.

If you're having a wilso bleach immediately then you're not acclimating them starting at no higher than 72F. They will immediately lose 90% of their zooxanthelle if dropped into a tank higher than this temperature.

Were these temperate wilsonis or warm?

Don't blame the coral, they require proper care.
Friend, two of mine didn’t bleach. Reread my post. One did, it came from aquasd. Two of the three have been in decline for over a year, after thriving for six months to a year. Some folks recover bleached ones, sure... Most go on to decline within a year, and I’ve yet to hear of any still thriving by the three year mark.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wouldn't the damage be done as soon as it hits the LFS tanks?

Mine took a few weeks to bleach and it only spent either 1 or 2 nights at the fish store after arriving from Australia. I don't really know the exact temp but I would assume 77-80. My tank was 78 and I lowered to 76 which was about as low as I could go. IF I ever were to try again and that is a big if since this has been a frustrating coral for me to keep. I would try room temp qt.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Friend, two of mine didn’t bleach. Reread my post. One did, it came from aquasd. Two of the three have been in decline for over a year, after thriving for six months to a year. Some folks recover bleached ones, sure... Most go on to decline within a year, and I’ve yet to hear of any still thriving by the three year mark.

I was referring to the ones
that did. If they are still getting worse but you did acclimate them (if they were temperate) the first things that come to mind are a healthy N/P (below 15x) or aminos which they need.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the damage be done as soon as it hits the LFS tanks?

Mine took a few weeks to bleach and it only spent either 1 or 2 nights at the fish store after arriving from Australia. I don't really know the exact temp but I would assume 77-80. My tank was 78 and I lowered to 76 which was about as low as I could go. IF I ever were to try again and that is a big if since this has been a frustrating coral for me to keep. I would try room temp qt.

It takes a few weeks for them to bleach out if introduced to tanks higher than 72F.

The zooxanthelle doesn’t disappear over night.

You just need to ask the seller if it’s a temperate wilsoni or not. If it is, ask them if they’ve acclimated it. If they haven’t, it’s up to you and your discretion.

A major source of frustration are shoddy sellers who don’t tell the buyer whether it’s a temperate wilsoni or not. I think that’s why people have vastly different experiences with them.

The guy who I posted about seems to get mad about this often. I’m going to try and reach out to him on fb so he can shed some more light for us.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think most sellers know where exactly it was sourced from. Again, I‘ve not seen one thriving by year three (again, thriving, as in not smaller than it was initially and not color shifted into oblivion either). This is a big board. I’d love to hear about some actual long-term success if there is any. I expect it to be vanishingly rare.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think most sellers know where exactly it was sourced from. Again, I‘ve not seen one thriving by year three (again, thriving, as in not smaller than it was initially and not color shifted into oblivion either). This is a big board. I’d love to hear about some actual long-term success if there is any. I expect it to be vanishingly rare.

I suspect the same, they definitely require very specific care that’s quite different from how we typically conduct our reefs.

I’ll see what info I can gather from this guy, I think we all need it :/

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do not know much about the origins of this wilsoni but it seemed to respond well to feedings. I know it was at LFS for a couple of weeks before I took it on. There tank is set to 78 and mine is set to 76 now. What are the signs of decline? What are positive the signs? As of now I've seen nothing I would immediately think of as negative. I've got it currently in a small amount of light but mostly in shadows. Bleaching occurs soon after the temperature shock is what you've noticed?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do not know much about the origins of this wilsoni but it seemed to respond well to feedings. I know it was at LFS for a couple of weeks before I took it on. There tank is set to 78 and mine is set to 76 now. What are the signs of decline? What are positive the signs? As of now I've seen nothing I would immediately think of as negative. I've got it currently in a small amount of light but mostly in shadows. Bleaching occurs soon after the temperature shock is what you've noticed?

Bleaching, and or eventually expanding less and less, and/or tissue loss on all or some of the lobes.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to touch base with western aquarium fish. Here are some pointers he provided

6A9F79ED-75C2-46A5-8253-44674AD5A063.jpeg
F618E82A-F371-4E20-8661-8D246F0D835B.png
4D9FB895-12B5-4A49-B7D6-E675EB76EE21.png

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 75 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back