Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I THINK i am now actually seeing the smallest about of color return. However since I study it so much it coukd be my eyes playing tricks. A buddy of mine actually told me about a practice one of the he people knows uses when dosing aminos. So simple I can't believe it didn't cross my mind. He takes a medium Tupperware and fills it with tank water and adds small amount aminos and let it sit for 10 minutes. Ive never tried it but it sounds intriguing. Any input with that process?

Also, congrats on bringing him back. Start taking pics at the same time every day from the same vantage point and track the progress.

I'm finding it the only way to verify whether zooxanthelle densities are returning. I only have two weeks of pics for it but it's really helpful and interesting.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, congrats on bringing him back. Start taking pics at the same time every day from the same vantage point and track the progress.

I'm finding it the only way to verify whether zooxanthelle densities are returning. I only have two weeks of pics for it but it's really helpful and interesting.
Unfortunately with my schedule is tough but I've been taking pictures daily and nightly. I wish I could same tone every day. Here's this mornings
20200110_075610.jpg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks to me like color is coming back ever so slightly. I've noticed that the membrane will actually slightly sway in the flow when it's just right. I take that as meaning the extension is getting much more full. I'm no expert.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks to me like color is coming back ever so slightly. I've noticed that the membrane will actually slightly sway in the flow when it's just right. I take that as meaning the extension is getting much more full. I'm no expert.

If the tissue is that puffy where the flow causes some drift then that’s a real good sign. I’d say it’s beginning to acclimate to your conditions and will continue to grow it’s zooxanthelle densities and in turn calcification/tissue.

Keep it up.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tissue is that puffy where the flow causes some drift then that’s a real good sign. I’d say it’s beginning to acclimate to your conditions and will continue to grow it’s zooxanthelle densities and in turn calcification/tissue.

Keep it up.
I've come down with a wicked flu but I'm going to try my best to stay on top of everything. I think these are positive signs and am hoping I can stay on this track. Ill update tomorrow.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So two days ago I had a pretty large temp change from 75 to 78.6. The wilsoni got very stressed and looks like he expelled a lot of zooxanthelle. I’ve also started dosing higher levels of vinegar to my system and I think the quick ph changes are affecting him as well.

These guys seem VERY sensitive to temperature changes. The 3pt temp change reverted about two weeks of progress.

Definitely frustrating but all apart of the learning process. I’ve ordered a new return pump (I believe my pond mag 9.5 is overheating my system) and a controller which should help maintain no more than a 1 degree temp range going forward.

Here is a comparison of my wilso two days ago to yesterday after the temp change. Both pictures are taking right at 10:30pm from the exact same vantage point, I have also not made any changes to my light.

Note, this temp spike probably had a much more dramatic impact than it typically would given his very low zooxanthelle densities. It is something to be cautious of for your temperate wilsonis.

Two days ago (before temp spike):
AC9521E0-8716-43A7-982F-07E6E9831610.jpeg

Last night (after temp spike):
14F0B278-E538-4293-9E2C-2E737B70E8C0.jpeg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So two days ago I had a pretty large temp change from 75 to 78.6. The wilsoni got very stressed and looks like he expelled a lot of zooxanthelle. I’ve also started dosing higher levels of vinegar to my system and I think the quick ph changes are affecting him as well.

These guys seem VERY sensitive to temperature changes. The 3pt temp change reverted about two weeks of progress.

Definitely frustrating but all apart of the learning process. I’ve ordered a new return pump (I believe my pond mag 9.5 is overheating my system) and a controller which should help maintain no more than a 1 degree temp range going forward.

Here is a comparison of my wilso two days ago to yesterday after the temp change. Both pictures are taking right at 10:30pm from the exact same vantage point, I have also not made any changes to my light.

Note, this temp spike probably had a much more dramatic impact than it typically would given his very low zooxanthelle densities. It is something to be cautious of for your temperate wilsonis.

Two days ago (before temp spike):
AC9521E0-8716-43A7-982F-07E6E9831610.jpeg

Last night (after temp spike):
14F0B278-E538-4293-9E2C-2E737B70E8C0.jpeg

Take a Tupperware full of tank water at the proper temp and put him in there with aminos and maybe some roids for a half hour. See if you can get a good feeding response. It doesn't look like he's spikey from the pictures so that's good. Keith said that spikey for more than 24 hours is a bad sign.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a Tupperware full of tank water at the proper temp and put him in there with aminos and maybe some roids for a half hour. See if you can get a good feeding response. It doesn't look like he's spikey from the pictures so that's good. Keith said that spikey for more than 24 hours is a bad sign.

Mine never gets spikey anymore except for a 30min period when my lights transition to their peak settings.

I fear moving him would do more harm than good right now. I dose 8ml a day, in two feedings, of reef energy a+b so he’s definitely getting as many aminos as he can probably tolerate.

One interesting thing I’m noticing today is he keeps doing this reverse puffy thing where he’ll puff out his inner polyp, it’s quite bizarre.

Also, while the yellow zoox has dulled down, I’m noticing a lot more purple and red come in on the top lining out his outer tissue. This has only become noticeable today. It’s like faint purple and red lines are popping up all over the place.

The more bold zooxanthelle are still there so that’s a good sign.

I guess it’s just weird stuff going on. I think he’ll be okay. Maybe he’s prioritizing certain zooxanthelle over others?

Here’s the weird reverse puffy thing:

4E84A27D-4245-43CB-BF8C-43566238E404.jpeg
D3969A17-8668-405A-BF28-F194D2D2C199.jpeg

Here are some of the new faint reds and purples that seem to be coming in:
745F093D-4F01-4A97-929D-A688BE721410.jpeg
9247C196-E4A2-43B2-9540-BF37435770C8.jpeg
CA2C3017-A69B-483E-8383-32BF7BFC5FA6.jpeg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed something similar actually as well. Some of the sections of lobes actually seem to get more puffy. This is divided by each lobe and stops along the division ridge. Looking at yours it doesn't seem to have the clear separations mine does. I'll snap a picture hold on a sec.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed something similar actually as well. Some of the sections of lobes actually seem to get more puffy. This is divided by each lobe and stops along the division ridge. Looking at yours it doesn't seem to have the clear separations mine does. I'll snap a picture hold on a sec.

That’s one of the other weird things today, and is kind of apart of his reverse puffy thing, the inner tissue has risen (or the ridges have lowered).

I have observed this in him when he’s reallllly full from eating. Never seen it outside of that. It occurred today and he was almost flat throughout.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's so difficult to get a good picture its infuriating. For me I can't tell if anything is changing.

If you're able to do the everyday, at the same time, picture thing, try and focus on one spot and just toggle between the pictures to determine if anything has grown or if color looks better.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're able to do the everyday, at the same time, picture thing, try and focus on one spot and just toggle between the pictures to determine if anything has grown or if color looks better.
I had meant to mention that I bought this cheap blue led flashlight off Amazon for 7 bucks ( sorry polyplab) to check things out at night. It works really really well. Helps see the night time sweepers and expansion. Check out it if you can.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order to fast track this guy back to recovery with absolutely no limitations, I decided to keep blues on for the full day.

While he was acclimating just fine, there was still a 30 min-2 hour period during peak hours where he would be stressed.

I don’t want to cover him and prevent the zoox from photosynthesizing so I’m going to stick with this for the foreseeable future until there is notable improvement.

My hope is that he recovers enough zooxanthelle to where his sensitivity to light isn’t as pronounced.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@living_tribunal woke up early and snapped this picture, no feeders are out but I am pleased with what I see.
The temp in my tank also somehow rose to 77 as well but I correcting that now. I edited the picture only for clarity sake nothing more.

20200112_051832.jpg

What is your heater setup like? I’m trying to figure out a better method with more redundancies to keep temp within a max .5 degree range at all times.

Could use some ideas.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%

Back