Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have a way underrated neo-therm hooked into a baylite control box. I've got mini fans blowing inti the sump and my house ac does the rest planning on going to brs system soon ill send pictures when I'm home. Warning my sump is not for show lol

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly I have a way underrated neo-therm hooked into a baylite control box. I've got mini fans blowing inti the sump and my house ac does the rest planning on going to brs system soon ill send pictures when I'm home. Warning my sump is not for show lol

Lol understood.

My problem is the same, I.e. when it’s a warmer day and my house temp is ~72.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I do have some updates, mainly in regards to my misinterpretation of the aforementioned temperature spike and bleaching.

I’m going to wait a few days to see how it pans out before posting that though.

I wanted to see if your wilsoni is exhibiting this behavior @gotmesalty77: Every day, smack dab at 4pm like clockwork, mine kind of gets spiny and spits out a lot of poop for an hour or two and then goes back to being healthy and puffy.

At first, I thought this was him stressing to daytime PAR being too high. But then I turned itdown and now have the same peak intensity for five hours. He tolerates the first and last three hours no problem. So I now don’t think it’s the par, just him pooping out all of his daily consumption.

Have you noticed this at all?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I may be getting a little bit ahead of myself but I think I’m pretty confident that he’s on a path to recovery and making progress at this point.

I’m about two months into this. The wilsoni spent the first month in my frag qt tank. This definitely shocked him and caused a little bit of bleaching, not much though. He was really bad when I picked him up.

Tonight, I noticed he was significantly more purple throughout. I think the dimming of the yellow wasn’t actually bleaching. I believe the purple intensified making the yellow less pronounced than when it was on sheet white tissue.

He has a lot of those spots/stripes people speak of when a wilsoni begins to recover. They are just dots that start coming and slowly start filling in the tissue line.

Not only that but his polyps are starting to sway with the flow!

One thing to note, he did have some initial tissue recession. This was amplified 10x when I added him to my dt because of a pest infestation. They first ate his dead tissue and then went overboard. They started nesting in the old skeleton :/

I have a new fish taking care of that problem however and I haven’t seen any additional tissue recession since.

The progress

3-4 weeks ago when I added him to my display tank:

CC8AFDA5-69EA-427C-9713-B3F01709B8D2.jpeg

Tonight:
DD616BDA-AB2F-465A-8ECE-41C09A05F73E.jpeg

Here are the spots that are coming in, there are about 10 new ones every day. They are also beginning to connect. You can see some filled in ones on the bottom left of him. Most are too difficult to capture on camera.
3C6B5E82-F538-463A-9A00-06E10C47DDF5.jpeg
995FEE5D-6753-4952-A491-EDAD3808275C.jpeg

Last edited:

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few sexy welsoni in our collection. They just need low in direct light prob best in the corner. And they will he fine we frag them many times and they grow nice also just like acans and favias for us.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your heater setup like? I’m trying to figure out a better method with more redundancies to keep temp within a max .5 degree range at all times.

Could use some ideas.
[/QU
So this is actually one of the biggest flaws in my system at this point and i keep putting off addressing it. Ive got a neotherm heater running to a baylite temp controller thing. The neo therm is grossly under rated for my system but maintains the desired temperature as long as i dont mess with my AC in any direction to much. I have an cheap amazon fan system in my sump that is constantly blowing on the fuge surface but i dont have any real reason or thought to why i am even doing it. The guy who owned the system before me had it like that and i just kept it. He also wasnt running an kessil h380 or an of the other high end equipment i am either. I have been mulling over when to pull the trigger on the BRS heating solution. To me it seems like the best all around value and i also want to support a company that IMO has done a lot for the hobby. If the tank heats up from say my gf opening the doors and windows and i come home from work and find temp has risen dramatically i take my Milwaukee jobsite fan and open my sump doors and let that baby rip for a while. It usually comes down quickly with that.
In short im embarrassed to say this isnt something i havent already taken care of and is so lacking compared to the rest of the life support system.
I think i am going to take my wilsoni out of the tank to feed daily because i see some fish and shrimp sometimes steal the food and at this point i want it to get all of the nutrients that it possibly can. Do you think this could have a negative effect moving it around like that ? It is not going to be in the tuperware long. Opinions?

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This been in our display for over a year.
When you guys got it in was it fully acclimated to tropical waters? Where was it collected? What is your care regimen for it? When you obtained it did it have all the colors or was it bleached? Its very beautiful, i hope i can bring mine back to something like that.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I ended up getting the brs temp controller to keep the change within .3 degrees. The inkbird full degree was too much.

The new dc return pump I got is excellent at not adding any additional heat to the water. My old school pond mag increased the water by a few degrees.

These two things will get the temp stable.

I think the system you have is alright. It’s up to you and what you think is best.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up getting the brs temp controller to keep the change within .3 degrees. The inkbird full degree was too much.

The new dc return pump I got is excellent at not adding any additional heat to the water. My old school pond mag increased the water by a few degrees.

These two things will get the temp stable.

I think the system you have is alright. It’s up to you and what you think is best.
It is nice that the vectra m2 doesnt put off any heat at all nor does the Bubble magus D8 dc pump. The only thing that does is the pump that feeds the bashsea reactor i run rox in. i just want to be able to make temperature changes effortlessly if i need to. i feel i could do that with an appropriately sized heater.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is nice that the vectra m2 doesnt put off any heat at all nor does the Bubble magus D8 dc pump. The only thing that does is the pump that feeds the bashsea reactor i run rox in. i just want to be able to make temperature changes effortlessly if i need to. i feel i could do that with an appropriately sized heater.

An appropriate sized heater and a tight temperature controller will keep things very steady.

I just picked up a titanium 250w for my 65, I sleep well at night now.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Side note, have you started seeing any of these brown dots all over your wilso yet?

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be seeing them real soon given the care you provided.
So i should freak out then. Its a good sign? Alright im glad that you mentioned it to me. I think i am going to move him because he may be getting too much flow and possible that peppermint shrimp are messing with him as well.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i should freak out then. Its a good sign? Alright im glad that you mentioned it to me. I think i am going to move him because he may be getting too much flow and possible that peppermint shrimp are messing with him as well.

Yes, it’s a very good sign. Everyone I’ve spoken to said you get a ton of these dots all over the wilsoni and that’s when the zooxanthelle are coming back.

I’m starting to have a ton of them on mine and they are filling in.

The dang amphipods are still eating his tissue. I added a canary wrasse to cut down on their population. He’s helping but doesn’t seem to feed around the wilsoni. The babies are living in his old skeleton. It’s so frustrating.

Besides that, mine is coloring up quick. He has a ton of spots everywhere. The first ones in his inner polyp are turning bright green. The rim on his polyp is turning purple and bright red.
A92ACC75-0BEE-499C-A6E6-43406798C4F2.jpeg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tonight was the first time I took him out and into a Tupperware to feed reef energy some roids and pellets. I think it was a huge success.
20200117_022705.jpg
20200117_022637.jpg
20200117_022622.jpg
20200117_022609.jpg
20200117_022534.jpg
20200117_022525.jpg

Does it not stress him out constantly moving him in and out of the tank?

Also, you are getting the spots!

128CC7BF-593E-4C63-9821-2C8786C92AF1.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 39 38.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back