Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tested about 15 different foods on him for target feeding.

Anything small and powdering like reef roids just ticks him off and they won’t be able to consume much of it. Wilsos don’t really have feeders (they do of course but they don’t operate well).

The food needs to have weight and have a large enough volume to where they can sink in and it will fall into their mouths.

By far, the best food so far has been pellets. I use @Coral Frenzy 1mm lps pellets as they stay on his tissue well, he can consume all of them, and he receives significantly more nutrition.

I give him a healthy 20-30 pellet feed with a two days on one day off schedule. My wilso eats about as much as one of my fish. He consumes all of them and has never ever rejected any food. I could probably feed him daily but don’t want to push it.

I will also target feed him mysis with cyclops. He will eat about a half a cube when I do this. The mysis is just a little floaty though.

I think one of the issues people have is that they simply do not feed these guys enough. They have access to a huge amount of crustaceans and aminos in their natural environment. By not feeding them often, you’re limiting their growth, color, and health potential.

If someone has a bleached wilso and aren’t feeding them very often, they’re not being a good husband.
So maybe my wilsoni is a little more picky. It seems like he never actually wants to eat any mysis at all. I also feed the WWC frozen which they seem to like. That said my wilsoni only eats roids and pellets. Never actaully have i seen it consume actual meaty foods at all. My wilsoni also has quite a bit of sweepers that comeout at night along all of the ridgelines usually. They arent there all the time but id say most of the night. I bascially have thrown numbers and caution to to the wind let the nutrients take the wheel for awhile. I use formula two and life spectrum pellets. I think i have some other types too that might be a bit old but im sure they are fine. I need feed some more random stuff i think. Just for the available biodiversity. I usually start with polyp booster just because it gets the people going lol! i am seeing enough fluffy growth that ive just had to move it away from the rock wall. That seems like a positive report.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So maybe my wilsoni is a little more picky. It seems like he never actually wants to eat any mysis at all. I also feed the WWC frozen which they seem to like. That said my wilsoni only eats roids and pellets. Never actaully have i seen it consume actual meaty foods at all. My wilsoni also has quite a bit of sweepers that comeout at night along all of the ridgelines usually. They arent there all the time but id say most of the night. I bascially have thrown numbers and caution to to the wind let the nutrients take the wheel for awhile. I use formula two and life spectrum pellets. I think i have some other types too that might be a bit old but im sure they are fine. I need feed some more random stuff i think. Just for the available biodiversity. I usually start with polyp booster just because it gets the people going lol! i am seeing enough fluffy growth that ive just had to move it away from the rock wall. That seems like a positive report.

That does indeed!

Regarding the feeding, are you turning off return and wave makers when you do mysis? Mysis can be a bit too floaty and it won’t rest firmly on your polyp for them to consume. That’s why I believe pellets to be the most effective food for them. Once dropped on the wilso, it’s hard for those pellets to go anywhere except down the hatch.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does indeed!

Regarding the feeding, are you turning off return and wave makers when you do mysis? Mysis can be a bit too floaty and it won’t rest firmly on your polyp for them to consume. That’s why I believe pellets to be the most effective food for them. Once dropped on the wilso, it’s hard for those pellets to go anywhere except down the hatch.
I turn it to the ecotech feed mode which only brings everything down to the slowest speed When i feed roids to the tank i make sure i turn the mp40s totally off.i am always afraid i i will forget to turn them back on.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn it to the ecotech feed mode which only brings everything down to the slowest speed When i feed roids to the tank i make sure i turn the mp40s totally off.i am always afraid i i will forget to turn them back on.

I only feed him mysis sometimes but when I do I go big. I give him about a half cube just to ensure a lot stays on him. He gets a lot of mysis from broadcast feeding for my fish.

Pellets ftw regardless.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive noticed this has become an obsession of mine. It certainly is what i spend the majority of my time looking at through the flipper deep see ( which i absolutely love). This is the longest waiting game ive had play to find out what a coral even looks like lol

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive noticed this has become an obsession of mine. It certainly is what i spend the majority of my time looking at through the flipper deep see ( which i absolutely love). This is the longest waiting game ive had play to find out what a coral even looks like lol

Same here man, this wilso is kind of all I care about with my tank at the moment. It’s very exciting watching it regain its health.

It looks like yours is doing great. I’m enjoying watching and learning from your experience as well.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here man, this wilso is kind of all I care about with my tank at the moment. It’s very exciting watching it regain its health.

It looks like yours is doing great. I’m enjoying watching and learning from your experience as well.
I know for at least me i feel like having a person to stay "accountable" to even if its just sharing information. Instead of throwing everything at a brick wall there is someone else there to at least bounce back ideas and opinions. Without that i would have been very difficult for me to continue to log any progress honestly.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be the last time I talk about spots (Not going to promise this) but mine is starting to come in real quick. Hundreds of spots everywhere and the color is substantially better than it was just last week. The front two polyps are nearly filled in. He also has a bright pink spot on the back.

435DE96D-C146-4DB6-801D-E5FD07BAF040.jpeg

28230EBB-9DBB-4BA9-ACC9-1DE5B0360A05.jpeg

FDA05BD2-F496-47D5-883B-A165C3E3E817.jpeg
17C7FC81-8821-4747-9A0F-C91403BBBBD4.jpeg

Here is a pic 7 days ago at 10:30pm:
3CA0375B-0DFE-4607-BBE9-BF7C6EAF575B.jpeg

Here is a pic at 10:30pm last night:
17B00A29-E3B0-4EDA-B6D7-D85D269D4B52.jpeg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know for at least me i feel like having a person to stay "accountable" to even if its just sharing information. Instead of throwing everything at a brick wall there is someone else there to at least bounce back ideas and opinions. Without that i would have been very difficult for me to continue to log any progress honestly.

Same. No one shares much about this coral. I’d feeling weird just getting amped about brown spots lol without someone understanding how amped I am.

Cheers

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. No one shares much about this coral. I’d feeling weird just getting amped about brown spots lol without someone understanding how amped I am.

Cheers
welll when you put it that way sir yes it does seem to be an odd thing to get hyped about, i more than once have been told by my friends and girlfriend to shut up and no one cares when i go off onto animated tangents about the more snooze worthy parts of coral and reef keeping. I must sound like a lunatic when i constantly mutter in front of the tank.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welll when you put it that way sir yes it does seem to be an odd thing to get hyped about, i more than once have been told by my friends and girlfriend to shut up and no one cares when i go off onto animated tangents about the more snooze worthy parts of coral and reef keeping. I must sound like a lunatic when i constantly mutter in front of the tank.

You’re preaching to the choir my friend. Sometimes I have to tell a co worker about something big that happens in my tank only to be told the same.

It’s nice to have a place to discuss the trials and tribulations that come with reefing.

It seems like every week brings something new, good and bad.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So still i am not seeing any real colors return to the coral, only looks to be getting fat and fluffy. IT does seem like the its more fluorescent. Maybe this pink i am not convinced i am imagining.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So still i am not seeing any real colors return to the coral, only looks to be getting fat and fluffy. IT does seem like the its more fluorescent. Maybe this pink i am not convinced i am imagining.

You’re not. Mine had like a light tint of purple/pink before the spots starting coming in heavy.

He has so many spots it’s crazy. It’s like he has green/pink chicken pox.

As long as he’s staying puffy he’ll start getting the spots I promise. You just notice a few darker pin pricks and then they keep coming in.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also having a more difficult time that i expected keeping the water at the temperature i wanted. I had a TECO chiller that was quite a bit to large for my tank and traded it for other equipment and what not. I think im regretting that decision.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines not only showing the green and purple but the top spots are turning bright red/pink

08EB6FDE-AA5E-409A-BA5E-A0286C261A84.jpeg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not. Mine had like a light tint of purple/pink before the spots starting coming in heavy.

He has so many spots it’s crazy. It’s like he has green/pink chicken pox.

As long as he’s staying puffy he’ll start getting the spots I promise. You just notice a few darker pin pricks and then they keep coming in.
i cannot tell you how important it is that i know what to expect from the dark spots, i would instantly ovbviously think necrotic tissue and then id have a pour us both a stiff drink and discuss the meaning of life with the wilsoni lol

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also having a more difficult time that i expected keeping the water at the temperature i wanted. I had a TECO chiller that was quite a bit to large for my tank and traded it for other equipment and what not. I think im regretting that decision.

Is it swaying more than 2-3 degrees daily?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i cannot tell you how important it is that i know what to expect from the dark spots, i would instantly ovbviously think necrotic tissue and then id have a pour us both a stiff drink and discuss the meaning of life with the wilsoni lol

I thought they were flatworms at first!

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He’s also getting these purple spots on the lining, I think he’s trying to separate the polyps
D30795CF-18CA-4194-AE6F-3E5C6FE23E3E.png

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 30.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back