Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly its been swinging aroun 2 degrees but not daily. Obviously this is somethingt that i need to get into check but that unfortunately not really in the budget until maybe end of next month.
I think you’ll be ok, as long as it isn’t getting too hot

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a yankee living in florida this house NEVER gets too hot. lol i miss the winters of Buffalo. Youlll never year someone say that again

Sheesh, I’ll be needing that chiller in the summer. I live in Dallas and it gets very hot here.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my girlfriend accidentally unplugged my return pump and, she sent me a message asaap so did ecotech, That abeing said i earned a few things, One i have to much system volume so it floods my sump when it looses power. The second thing that worries is that the salinty droppped fro 1.025 to .1.023ish. So im going to bring it back up and no one look ticked off but how long should i take to bring salinity back up?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my girlfriend accidentally unplugged my return pump and, she sent me a message asaap so did ecotech, That abeing said i earned a few things, One i have to much system volume so it floods my sump when it looses power. The second thing that worries is that the salinty droppped fro 1.025 to .1.023ish. So im going to bring it back up and no one look ****** off but how long should i take to bring salinity back up?

A .02 drop isn’t too bad. Maybe increase a point today and a point tomorrow.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A .02 drop isn’t too bad. Maybe increase a point today and a point tomorrow.
Is crazy because I don't have an apex I run all of my pumps on two different circuits in my house and the return pump being it's the heart of any operation I ran that supply in a hard to knock out area. even find but my girlfriend is an avid cleaner so turns out it can be done popping all of that off she wasn't exactly sure what she had just done so she kind of freaked out a little bit and started messing around with cords and whatnot and somehow managed to turn off mp40s as well. luckily I have some hydor gen 3 circulation pumps just to spice it up a little bit. I calmy explained how that was important and didn't get angry. But here's some updates

20200127_184530.jpg 20200127_184420.jpg 20200127_184420.jpg 20200127_184249.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is crazy because I don't have an apex I run all of my pumps on two different circuits in my house and the return pump being it's the heart of any operation I ran that supply in a hard to knock out area. even find but my girlfriend is an avid cleaner so turns out it can be done popping all of that off she wasn't exactly sure what she had just done so she kind of freaked out a little bit and started messing around with cords and whatnot and somehow managed to turn off mp40s as well. luckily I have some hydor gen 3 circulation pumps just to spice it up a little bit. I calmy explained how that was important and didn't get angry. But here's some updates

20200127_184530.jpg 20200127_184420.jpg 20200127_184420.jpg 20200127_184249.jpg

I would have gotten angry! Way to keep your control.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She wouldn't of learned anything and built more resentment for the tank and my commitment. I wanted freak out b but it would of been endlessly counter productive

Stuff happens, I’m kind of finding my wilsoni more resilient the more it acclimated.

I have something weird going on with my tank right now, I think it may be trace element deficiency, and my wilso is looking better than ever. I think they are just real susceptible to light and temperature changes. I’m confident yours will be fine tomorrow

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's giving you that impression? What is happening? I'm sure you know your parameters if there's an issue there so what's visible

A bit of a series of events but you can’t test for trace elements and everything else is spot on where I want it.

I’ll spare you the details lol but I ordered some new salt that has my same alk target and am going to do a big 30-40% water change tomorrow to see if that’s what’s going on.

My corals aren’t closed or anything but maybe 4-5 just have shorter polyp extension than usual. Everything seems a tad stressed but not in a major way if that makes sense. Sometimes you just know when something is off I guess.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a series of events but you can’t test for trace elements and everything else is spot on where I want it.

I’ll spare you the details lol but I ordered some new salt that has my same alk target and am going to do a big 30-40% water change tomorrow to see if that’s what’s going on.

My corals aren’t closed or anything but maybe 4-5 just have shorter polyp extension than usual. Everything seems a tad stressed but not in a major way if that makes sense. Sometimes you just know when something is off I guess.
I only use the commonly accepted numbers as guides. My eyes tell me everything i need to know forthe most part. ive been doing this reef thing for a long time now and i like to think i can tell by sight. Usually its the acans that i notice first then i see what my euphyllia is up to. Then i test everything i have which is calc, alk p04 no3 and ph. I then check my rodi filters and resin. If i havent found anything there i start to look for anything dead. Usually thats all i need to do. I Guess after that id see if my old lady may have sprayed any poison into the air.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use the commonly accepted numbers as guides. My eyes tell me everything i need to know forthe most part. ive been doing this reef thing for a long time now and i like to think i can tell by sight. Usually its the acans that i notice first then i see what my euphyllia is up to. Then i test everything i have which is calc, alk p04 no3 and ph. I then check my rodi filters and resin. If i havent found anything there i start to look for anything dead. Usually thats all i need to do. I Guess after that id see if my old lady may have sprayed any poison into the air.

Yup, same thing exact thing here. I am pretty sure I know what’s going on but I haven’t received my new calc kit yet. Salifert being slow. I have a hanna calc checker but that thing is about as accurate as snif testing your water.

I’m just happy the wilso is doing really well. He’s got three new colors now, he’s like rebuilding the polyp divider right at the edges of each polyp. It looks like it’s going to be purple.

Thjs is beginning to get exciting, hopefully I get the tank corrected before he feels whatever is going on.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hanna checker for calcium is difficult and much to sensitive for a hobby grade kits. Its measuring 100iu of actual sample. Thats legit such a tiny sample amount nearly everything will elevate like crazy your results. Ive gone through a million reagents trying to get consistent repeatable results but ive finally recently was able to do so. However even the slightest variation process it will wildly through it off. Its kind of a pain in the ****. Given the conversation we have had i know your reagents are not outdated or expired. Give the old hanna another shot and try. If you havent read this article series you should they are totally on point.

This video is pretty Good in terms of some tips and tricks to add into your testing process

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spots on spots, they come in faster every day. Looks like he’s rebuilding the polyp divider tissue. The red at the top is also coming in real quick.

D185F97E-5FE8-4776-B687-1E94C90263B6.jpeg
183A4BAF-6722-4E37-9C63-CA292404D095.jpeg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like mine has a long ways to go. It's weird mine looks happy but we know there's supposed to be much more color, yours it seems looks like he's recovering from a car accident and starting to show color. Hmmm that's perplexing.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like mine has a long ways to go. It's weird mine looks happy but we know there's supposed to be much more color, yours it seems looks like he's recovering from a car accident and starting to show color. Hmmm that's perplexing.

I like how you framed that lol. He was certainly in bad shape when I received but now he looks like a fish ate a variety of crayons and pooped all over him.

I’ve had mine about a month longer than you’ve had yours. I’d recommend putting it out in the light but keeping in mind he needs time. I guarantee you yours will have more brown spots than mine at the same point in recovery.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_MG_0774.JPG

Mine is continuing to improve. There is quite a bit of lost tissue, but I've been feeding it a lot again and it's certainly puffing up a lot more. Will update again in another 2 weeks or so.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 52 39.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back