Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@living_tribunal I am going to shoot Mr adams a message see we can get his input. Really anything at this stage seems to be a good thing as long as the info is in one place. I may go back and write a very unscientific tips/care guide if I am successful
I was thinking about doing the exact same thing if I’m successful in bringing him back 100%. We could tag team it

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im so with it, ive got some ideas i think you would like. I tend to ramble in my writing

I tend to ramble with my thoughts. I do want to get this guy to 100% before even considering typing up such a post though.

Got to put up or shut up as they say.

I’m just happy I have a wilso that’s 100% recovering and getting browner every day.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His inability to proofread makes me want to throw things.

Got me salty seems to be target feeding successfully, I was just making an observation ;)

they are also MUCH bigger than a fish! Can you imagine a fish the size of Pinky swimming around in your tank:eek:
I was getting perturbed by the same thing. I re read both sentences like 3 times. If he hadn’t rehabilitated that wilso I’d be throwing a penny in his tank.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was experimenting with different light intensities/spectrums, I ended up lowering the intensity by 80-95% depending on the spectrum and set the acclimation schedule for 3 months.

Well this week marked roughly the halfway point. I’ve noticed my wilso progressively more stressed throughout the day and could tell it was the light intensity stressing him.

Yesterday, I turned off acclimation and set the overall intensity to about what it was two weeks ago, he’s back to being big and puffy during peak hours.

I can’t say anything in regards to how fully colored and acclimated temperates are sensitive to higher intensity. I can say that if yours is bleached/in the process of acclimating, do not reach too hard or too fast with light intensity. You’re going to want to give these guys soft blues for quite a while.

I’m going to tip toe very slowly towards higher par and let y’all know how things progress.

Heremy new light/spectrum settings:
BD04DB75-7ABB-4FB2-B3B3-E5016E8636C8.png

No one else in the tank seems to mind, wilso is happy which is all that matters.

3402BF33-FB11-423E-9F00-216EC229A177.jpeg
FCBF060C-9A10-46AC-A2D2-87B5BBE5DCFD.jpeg
688181AB-A5DB-4015-9EF6-3FD8E612EDF3.jpeg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was experimenting with different light intensities/spectrums, I ended up lowering the intensity by 80-95% depending on the spectrum and set the acclimation schedule for 3 months.

Well this week marked roughly the halfway point. I’ve noticed my wilso progressively more stressed throughout the day and could tell it was the light intensity stressing him.

Yesterday, I turned off acclimation and set the overall intensity to about what it was two weeks ago, he’s back to being big and puffy during peak hours.

I can’t say anything in regards to how fully colored and acclimated temperates are sensitive to higher intensity. I can say that if yours is bleached/in the process of acclimating, do not reach too hard or too fast with light intensity. You’re going to want to give these guys soft blues for quite a while.

I’m going to tip toe very slowly towards higher par and let y’all know how things progress.

Heremy new light/spectrum settings:
BD04DB75-7ABB-4FB2-B3B3-E5016E8636C8.png

No one else in the tank seems to mind, wilso is happy which is all that matters.

3402BF33-FB11-423E-9F00-216EC229A177.jpeg
FCBF060C-9A10-46AC-A2D2-87B5BBE5DCFD.jpeg
688181AB-A5DB-4015-9EF6-3FD8E612EDF3.jpeg

[/QUOTE
My wilsoni actually gets no direct light at all, and i have seen nothing but slow progress. Or at least it looks like it to me. With that all being said i have not seen the coloration start to come back as you have. it has gotten larger and more puffy the entire time even dare i say growth.
Western aquarium recommended that it not go into any direct light. So it remains in his cave. This is what he looks like today, i cant personally see any change in color maybe pinks returning.

wilsoni 2 feb 2.jpg wilsoni feb 1.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ve recently changed my outlook on whether the wilso should be shaded or not. Zooxanthelle need light for photosynthesis, so if you’re not running t5 then chances are strong they may not be getting enough light by I grow their densities. I noticed the brown spots and color ramp up much faster when I lowered the par and completely added him in direct light.

I’ve been speaking to Keith and I know he runs his all under direct light.

If you’re able, reduce your whites and UVA’s and move him to direct light. I bet it will help.

If you look at mine, the first three polyps on him to gain back their color were the ones that have always been in direct light while the previously shaded areas are just now starting to add color.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running lps coral lab from ecotech. they they only have the whites and uv running at 25%. i meant not under direct light during the time im trying to rehab. And then slowly acclimating to the lights.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im running lps coral lab from ecotech. they they only have the whites and uv running at 25%. i meant not under direct light during the time im trying to rehab. And then slowly acclimating to the lights.

Adding mine to direct light has definitely helped the recovery. No need to rush it though.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m still not sure how people feed these guys reef roids. I tried again tonight and he just got mad and then the hermits came to pick it off. They need something weighty enough to stay in place that they can drop into their mouth. It seems like he’s able to eat 20-30% of it and the rest just becomes detritus on him so he’s left unfulfilled and dirty.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seems to love roids plus pellets. Never wants to eat any mysis or WWC frozen food. I need to stock up i want to add more variety. Mine is looking great in light acclimation. Kieth said it thought it was making a turn around and that light would be a positive from this point. What do you think ?

20200204_234030.jpg

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine seems to love roids plus pellets. Never wants to eat any mysis or WWC frozen food. I need to stock up i want to add more variety. Mine is looking great in light acclimation. Kieth said it thought it was making a turn around and that light would be a positive from this point. What do you think ?

20200204_234030.jpg

You already know my answer to that

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20200204_234030.jpg

How is he able to get the roids into his mouth? Since the particles don’t have weight, I just don’t see how he can clump them together and move into his mouth.

It’s been bad every time I’ve tried, going to just stick with pellets.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back