Wilsoni Coral Care (avoiding lighting overexposure)

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did it get cut in half?

Yes. It was cut in half in April. I could not afford the entire piece nor did I have space for such a massive colony. I asked the store owner to cut it in half for me. It had just arrived from Australia the day before.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. It was cut in half in April. I could not afford the entire piece nor did I have space for such a massive colony. I asked the store owner to cut it in half for me. It had just arrived from Australia the day before.

I bet it’ll come back. It’s definitely acclimated to your water so as long as he isn’t being pounded by par and gets a good meal every now and then I bet it’ll start recovering soon.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
_MG_0774.JPG

Mine is continuing to improve. There is quite a bit of lost tissue, but I've been feeding it a lot again and it's certainly puffing up a lot more. Will update again in another 2 weeks or so.
Thats the same one you sent before right? That is definitely looking like there is improvement there. Man that thing must of looked pretty rough when you p saved him. At this point my wilso basically is fluffy and puffed up but really not returning color like i would of thought just that really bright green fluorescent veins seem to be getting more intense. You can tell that its had a rough ride and you really did a great job getting it to that point. That can recover and be an amazing coral. Def keep the pictures coming

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am about to dose my Reef energy a and b and take some pictures. Ive been feeding like crazy lately and it doesnt seem like the tank is very upset about it lol. Still no real color returning.

wilsoni jan 30.jpg rainbow platy wwc.jpg wilsoni3.jpg

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been the greatest thread to follow, I love obscure corals!

laughing my *** off that you told @living_tribunal his looked like it had been in a car accident ;Hilarious ;Hilarious

lol Well both of our wilsoni don't look great. Each in a very different way. Mines more of a got stuck in tanning bed or something. His just looks like that uncle that has stories to tell because you surely know its seen somethings in its day. @living_tribunal is doing an excellent job at rehab and without his input and his similar situation its very likely I would of lost mine. So I am grateful I found this thread as well.
On another note @living_tribunal I started to feed my reef energy A and B at night awhile ago but it was just broadcast into the tanks raceways. Well a week ago a friend gave me a million syringes and blunt tip needles. I figured might as well put them to good use so instead of broadcast feeding I "target" fed if you want to call it that (didn't really turn flow down). I am noticing now a rapid increase in size and fluffiness. Dare I say slight colors returning??? I guess youll have to judge later when I can take them and post.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol Well both of our wilsoni don't look great. Each in a very different way. Mines more of a got stuck in tanning bed or something. His just looks like that uncle that has stories to tell because you surely know its seen somethings in its day. @living_tribunal is doing an excellent job at rehab and without his input and his similar situation its very likely I would of lost mine. So I am grateful I found this thread as well.
On another note @living_tribunal I started to feed my reef energy A and B at night awhile ago but it was just broadcast into the tanks raceways. Well a week ago a friend gave me a million syringes and blunt tip needles. I figured might as well put them to good use so instead of broadcast feeding I "target" fed if you want to call it that (didn't really turn flow down). I am noticing now a rapid increase in size and fluffiness. Dare I say slight colors returning??? I guess youll have to judge later when I can take them and post.
“The uncle with stories to tell” lmaoooo

keep up the good work! I rehabbed a goniopora Stokesi, but I think these might be on a whole new level as far as difficulty goes. Do you run your tank at a lower temp?

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The uncle with stories to tell” lmaoooo

keep up the good work! I rehabbed a goniopora Stokesi, but I think these might be on a whole new level as far as difficulty goes. Do you run your tank at a lower temp?
not much but yes ive got it at 76 but I think that's as low as I can go for lps dominate tank.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Target feeding aminos seems pretty interesting! I’ve always thought of it as just adding the nutrients into the water column so it could be absorbed like aminos are in the wilsos habitat.

I’m interested to hear how that works out, might be more efficient. Post pics soon so I’m not the only one spamming here.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not much but yes ive got it at 76 but I think that's as low as I can go for lps dominate tank.
I keep mine on the high side (77.5-79.5) swings every day. The Goni is from Indonesia and is happiest at the warmer temps, but for the exact same reason I don’t run it any hotter! People that keep the easy corals just don’t understand the struggle lol

I’ll be really interested to see how much these will color up in the next couple of months, LT has showed me some really wild pics of what they are capable of looking like.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine on the high side (77.5-79.5) swings every day. The Goni is from Indonesia and is happiest at the warmer temps, but for the exact same reason I don’t run it any hotter! People that keep the easy corals just don’t understand the struggle lol

I’ll be really interested to see how much these will color up in the next couple of months, LT has showed me some really wild pics of what they are capable of looking like.

I found two posts from @Jake Adams who rehabilitated a very bleached wilso.

He said after 3 months it had developed a ton of brown spots and eventually turned into this:
AD0E9FC2-0E5C-4BBD-8683-6C820E3E88B7.png

A few more months passed and that same wilso looked like this
775B5EE5-6CCE-4F48-AFDB-D8FA2F8472B6.png

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Target feeding aminos seems pretty interesting! I’ve always thought of it as just adding the nutrients into the water column so it could be absorbed like aminos are in the wilsos habitat.

I’m interested to hear how that works out, might be more efficient. Post pics soon so I’m not the only one spamming here.
Those brains seem like giant sponges for food, why not aminos as well?

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those brains seem like giant sponges for food, why not aminos as well?

because aminos don’t work like that lol. That’s like saying “let’s target feed alk!”

Wilsos are the hungriest coral bar none. Mine eats more than a single fish.

living_tribunal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I swear on my existence I just told my Gf I'd like to find some struggling wilsoni and try to rehab more. I'm no expert but I think it's progressing well.
You told us that the other day/

I kind of want to do the same. We have the wilso bug bad lol. I’m tempted to setup a little frag tank dedicated to them. They sell for dirt cheap after they bleach, I could make a little money.

gotmesalty77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
because aminos don’t work like that lol. That’s like saying “let’s target feed alk!”

I think the carbs in A maybe they can consume more typically. And once they start chowing A of course B gets ingested too. I have no idea I figured id just give it a shot and EVERYTHING looks happier.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found two posts from @Jake Adams who rehabilitated a very bleached wilso.

He said after 3 months it had developed a ton of brown spots and turned into this:
AD0E9FC2-0E5C-4BBD-8683-6C820E3E88B7.png

A few more months passed and that same wilso looked like this
775B5EE5-6CCE-4F48-AFDB-D8FA2F8472B6.png
His inability to proofread makes me want to throw things.

Got me salty seems to be target feeding successfully, I was just making an observation ;)

they are also MUCH bigger than a fish! Can you imagine a fish the size of Pinky swimming around in your tank:eek:

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back