Window frosting background

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Exactly what I'm going to do in our new build. Btw, check out the Current USA Serene background kit...pretty cool.

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the black plastic sign board stuff, same as what is used to make sandwich signs

Corrugated plastic stuff ... cheap enough

Why hasn't anyone started using this already ?? I've been using it for many years - 3 to 4 already

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t have water yet but I have it on the back and the left side. The left side is because I’m putting a hob skimmer there
546CE041-4657-4CE1-95EA-6D56EF61B58C.jpeg

NotFishyFishGuy

There’s a reason I’m broke now...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh this seems cool. I believe it is quite common in experienced planted tank builders. I think this will look cool.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a link to the film you used? I am curious about the size and the opacity. I am working on something related and am always looking for different approaches.

Dennis
Sorry I meant to respond earlier but forgot. Tank is cycling right now. The lights are not and there is no coral in yet so it will probably look much better when there is coral. However, you can still see the wires behind the tank. It is kind of blurred though. But I still think it has potential.

When I posted the url, it says robot check, but I just tested it, works fine

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I meant to respond earlier but forgot. Tank is cycling right now. The lights are not and there is no coral in yet so it will probably look much better when there is coral. However, you can still see the wires behind the tank. It is kind of blurred though. But I still think it has potential.

When I posted the url, it says robot check, but I just tested it, works fine

[URL
unfurl="true"]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XHXU7PU?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title[/URL]

Thanks. I need a bit longer of film (120"+), but this helps me just the same as other vendors offer similar film in both frosted and white. I was wondering how translucent the frosted is, and the fact that you can still see the wires, but blurred is just the type of feedback I was looking for. ;)

Dennis

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I need a bit longer of film (120"+), but this helps me just the same as other vendors offer similar film in both frosted and white. I was wondering how translucent the frosted is, and the fact that you can still see the wires, but blurred is just the type of feedback I was looking for. ;)

Dennis
I can post pics once lights are on and stuff is in there. Won’t be for about a month at least though

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those wondering about how it turned out, it’s eh. It does not block wires super well but does have a different and clean look. It was able to block out the hob skimmer though. If I were to do this again, I would try to get something the would block the area behind it a little more
7D518DE4-9975-4DF9-979F-100ED45B0A19.jpeg
550BC485-D2BE-452D-B3B1-4631F03E4F19.jpeg
3EB00F3F-D951-4FF7-BD6D-C5705775A0AB.jpeg

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting an update with the lights on. I know you were hoping for a bit less transmittance, but for an application that I am thinking of using it for, that amount of transmittance is perfect. Now I just have to see if I can find a roll that is long enough and wide enough and hope that it has similar transparency as the brand you used.

Dennis

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for posting an update with the lights on. I know you were hoping for a bit less transmittance, but for an application that I am thinking of using it for, that amount of transmittance is perfect. Now I just have to see if I can find a roll that is long enough and wide enough and hope that it has similar transparency as the brand you used.

Dennis
Did you see the link I posted earlier? Was it not a big enough size? Are you trying to do a water box background or something?

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back