Winter Temperature Issues

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank wasn't 90 - the house was. The tank was 83 for about a week. Nightmare. And yes, I will get a chiller for next summer for sure.

We live in an old house that is near the beach and they didn't think you needed aircon in 1964. HA!
You didn't, lol. My old place was blocks from the beach built in the 20's. So I know that pain, well!

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa... Something is up. I keep my 120g dt/ 25 gallon sump over 76.5 at night with a single 250w heater (another 250 as backup) and house ambient temp at 66 degrees. I'd also move the probe to the sump.

Graphs over 24 hrs. Don't mind the salinity (it's silly). EB4 is for the return pump and main heater.
Screenshot_20221120-092805.png
I would think 800w would be overkill for a 96g dt and most likely a 30g sump. 2 200w would probably be fine. As stated in this post a 250w for a 120g with 30g sump has worked. Idk i would honestly try a 250 and see what heaters you have are still functional

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't, lol. My old place was blocks from the beach built in the 20's. So I know that pain, well!
Its about 20K to put in Aircon and we only need it for about 2 months out of the year. Crazy that I didn't lose any fish - but all but a few pieces of coral just died out. The GSP is coming back in some areas though - so that's good.

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spending tons on a tank and not a little on a controller is crazy. Have seen so many heaters fail over the years…terribly inaccurate
Agree. Just didn't know that was even a thing until today - have had my tanks for about 3 years. I ask a lot of questions, but maybe just not the right ones. I know NOW.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its about 20K to put in Aircon and we only need it for about 2 months out of the year. Crazy that I didn't lose any fish - but all but a few pieces of coral just died out. The GSP is coming back in some areas though - so that's good.
We did central air/heat in the end, as we had a floor furnace that was a death trap when it ran. It was worth way more than what I paid for install, when I sold the house pre COVID.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of trial and error here too, it was just ALOT cheaper when we screwed up!
Yes I was one of those guys who thought I knew everything and everything was easy till 5 years past and I realize I knew pretty much 0. Then I hit this fourm hard and 5 more years now I know very little :) but more then before

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live by Finnex titanium and yes Inkbird which will tell you the temperature
I run the Finnes Titanium with a Neptune apex controller for the temp control.

Most of the controllers that come with any heater are in consistent with regulating temperature. I have read many cases we're members have cooked there tank with the heater controllers

Having a controller for the total system Neptune, GHL, Hydros helps with regulating the temp and will shut down the heater at for example 78.4 and send a message if the tank is running too cold. The controller will also send a message when the system is too hot, and one can just shut down the power to the heater remotely.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the sump temp is around 73-75 or whatever is lower than you want it to be, do you even see that the heaters are turned on? I can’t imagine that they are even on.

I run my InkBird opposite of what most do. I still use the heaters for temp control and the InkBird as a fail safe.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I was one of those guys who thought I knew everything and everything was easy till 5 years past and I realize I knew pretty much 0. Then I hit this fourm hard and 5 more years now I know very little :) but more then before
I was fortunate to be a second generation reefer. Water changes was a chore for us as teenagers in the late 80's. When I started on my own in the late 90's, I was a mess, lol. Bad fish parings, tank crashes, you name it I went through it.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. With the probe in the DT the heaters should be trying to get that up to temp.. That's where I would put the heaters... How large of a difference is the room temperature? Maybe they are malfunctioning because the wattage seems more than adequate.

If you do change them out, I suggest keeping both the probe and heaters in the sump to never have an issue like this :/
I was curious if the 3 heaters could accidentally be plugged into some sort of
Timer .
The heaters should be able to keep
Up if the probe is in the dt , and heaters are in the sump .
The sump being smaller volume it should have no issue heating that water until the probe in the dt match temp

TokenReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timer .
The sump being smaller volume it should have no issue heating that water until the probe in the dt match temp
Agreed; I was under the impression there was a temp controller involved for some reason (my fault) but looks like it was just a probe for a temperature display

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timer .
This is what I thought. This is why I feel it has to be a heater malfunction or probe issue. Either way op should be using a quality heater controller to ensure this are working properly. I’m not sure how many reefers out there are using the heaters with the dial on top and depending on them to work properly but me myself have just had horrible luck with them failing. Along with being way way inaccurate

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I thought. This is why I feel it has to be a heater malfunction or probe issue. Either way op should be using a quality heater controller to ensure this are working properly. I’m not sure how many reefers out there are using the heaters with the dial on top and depending on them to work properly but me myself have just had horrible luck with them failing. Along with being way way inaccurate
I’ve used the exact same style
Heaters for many years .
Adjust and set The temp and leave it ….
But I have recently been worried about it ( not sure if it’s age )

not sure if it even works …
Having t5’s right over the tank . The water is perfect all day .
And I Have never Checked the temp at night

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. I have ordered the Inkbird and two finnex heaters and changed up one of my returns - which I think actually made a difference today because the temp rose a lot faster, but its warm out today so I'l have to keep an eye on that.

On a [sort of] related note - has anyone ever experienced your glass thermometers breaking? I have had two - one in the Sump and one in the DT and they both broke. Just broke, wasn't hit with anything, no reason, Just look one day and its broken. It's like the bottom just explodes. Now I have those little metal balls in my DT and trying to get them all out.

Just thought I would ask. Have googled it and seems like i'm the only one. LOL

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. I have ordered the Inkbird and two finnex heaters and changed up one of my returns - which I think actually made a difference today because the temp rose a lot faster, but its warm out today so I'l have to keep an eye on that.

On a [sort of] related note - has anyone ever experienced your glass thermometers breaking? I have had two - one in the Sump and one in the DT and they both broke. Just broke, wasn't hit with anything, no reason, Just look one day and its broken. It's like the bottom just explodes. Now I have those little metal balls in my DT and trying to get them all out.

Just thought I would ask. Have googled it and seems like i'm the only one. LOL
I was just gunna say when this happens it pollutes the water very badly. This would be a good reason for corals and fish and inverts to die alone… I’ve had glass heater explode !!!! That is why I only buy titanium now

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back