Winter Temperature Issues

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for your input and suggestions. I have ordered the Inkbird and two finnex heaters and changed up one of my returns - which I think actually made a difference today because the temp rose a lot faster, but its warm out today so I'l have to keep an eye on that.

On a [sort of] related note - has anyone ever experienced your glass thermometers breaking? I have had two - one in the Sump and one in the DT and they both broke. Just broke, wasn't hit with anything, no reason, Just look one day and its broken. It's like the bottom just explodes. Now I have those little metal balls in my DT and trying to get them all out.

Just thought I would ask. Have googled it and seems like i'm the only one. LOL
Ha ha … those same thermometers. My trigger fish constantly picks at it like he’s trying to eat it , or playing .
I moved it to the sump and have had the same one for many years
There is so much coralline algae on it you can barely read the numbers until cleaning day

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha ha … those same thermometers. My trigger fish constantly picks at it like he’s trying to eat it , or playing .
I moved it to the sump and have had the same one for many years
There is so much coralline algae on it you can barely read the numbers until cleaning day
I thought it was my trigger you might have bit it. But then the same thing happened in my sump - so...no more glass thermometers!

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean mercury, that has to be removed ASAP. Highly toxic heavy metal.

On a positive note, most modern thermometers are not made with mercury. I'd still get it out quick.
Yeah - there isn't any mercury. Just those metal balls that I have pulled out with a magnet.

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i would think your problem is 3 heaters on 3 differant controllers, and you want the probe in sump with heaters. if you lose the return pump you will over heat your sump if probe is in DT.
ambient temp also has alot to do with it. i have a 120 and i turn my heat down to 65-66 at night cause i like it cold. i have 2 250 watt heaters on a controller and maintains 78. before i had a 300 watt and couldnt keep up at night, heaters ran all night. i wouldnt be concerned where your retuns are pointing, all that water is getting mixed up pretty good. +1 on the eheims but they are loner than most. my 300 watt was eheim and had to caddy corner it in sump.

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get it fixed?
Not sure yet.

Just got the Inkbird installed and WOW - what I thought was 78 degrees (According to the Aquatop 400 with a built in digital thermostat) looks like it is only 75. So...trying to figure out how far off each of these heaters are. Plus I am not understanding how the Inkbird can control a heater that has a build in thermomstat. Do I turn them up and then hope the Inkbird controls the temp? According to the Inkbird, the tank is only 75 degrees but neither one of the heaters are turning on.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure yet.

Just got the Inkbird installed and WOW - what I thought was 78 degrees (According to the Aquatop 400 with a built in digital thermostat) looks like it is only 75. So...trying to figure out how far off each of these heaters are. Plus I am not understanding how the Inkbird can control a heater that has a build in thermomstat. Do I turn them up and then hope the Inkbird controls the temp? According to the Inkbird, the tank is only 75 degrees but neither one of the heaters are turning on.
Turn the heaters up a little higher .

the ink bird will control when they turn on and off

OP
OP
RaisingKane

RaisingKane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so the 4AM alarm with an E5 code was fun. Apparently the continuous heating alarm (after much research) went off. I turned that up to 24 hours but I'm still not reaching 78. I think I need more powerful heaters? Geeze two 400W heaters should be able to get there right? 130 G tank

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 425XL I had two 300 watt Eheim glass heaters with an inkbird controller. During the summer months it was fine and also coming out of the winter (tank only set up in February). However, in the colder spring days with the house heating off but cold air still around they couldn't keep the tank at 25 deg (77 f). I also had several continuous heating alarms while I fine tuned the set up.
I had to add my spare heater just on its own thermostat to keep it warm enough. I've since switched to two 350 watt titanium heaters which are much more capable than just the wattage would suggest.
As people above have said, ambient temperature but also humidity all pay a part in how much heat can be lost from the water.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 450w on a inkbird for my 100 gallon system. Basement sump(35ish gallons).
No problem heating.

Screenshot_20221123_115327_APEXFusion.jpg

The thing is, I left the house after work yesterday to drive 9 hours to my mother-in-laws and forgot to turn the furnace on. (forced air) it was 32 last night. Will be about 32 nights and 45/50 during the day until I get back Sunday.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
btw, on my inkbird app i can set the continuous alarm to zero. I know others haven't been able to but it my be a version issue or something. Mine is on 100% of the time.

What's the ambient temp in your basement?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 450w on a inkbird for my 100 gallon system. Basement sump(35ish gallons).
No problem heating.

Screenshot_20221123_115327_APEXFusion.jpg

The thing is, I left the house after work yesterday to drive 9 hours to my mother-in-laws and forgot to turn the furnace on. (forced air) it was 32 last night. Will be about 32 nights and 45/50 during the day until I get back Sunday.
A WiFi thermostat, like Honeywell, and you can see and adjust temp from anywhere

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back