WIP Livestock List

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

While I'm waiting for my tank to cycle, I've been coming up with ideas for fish to add to the tank. This is just a work in progress and nothing is final yet. I'd like to get some feedback from the forum on what my idea is and if it can be improved or changed for the better. Ultimately the health of the fish and my aquarium are priority to what I want in my tank that's pretty.

I am running a Cobalt C-Vue 40 AIO with two Intank baskets filled with Marine Pure, a mini fuge section (empty at the moment) and filter floss. I also have a Icecap K2-50 protein skimmer, but that is not being run until the tank is cycled.

A site I came across calculated that I can safely put in ~14-16 inches of fish. So far my list is as follows in order of addition to the tank (keep in mind "/" denote an "or"):

1 pair of Gladiator / Snowflake clowns (peaceful)
1 Bi-color blenny / Watchman Goby / Randall's Goby (peaceful)
1 Royal Gramma / similar (Peaceful)*
1 Six line Wrasse (semi aggressive) / Clown Fairy Wrasse (peaceful) / Yellow Coris Wrasse (peaceful)
1 Flame Angel (semi aggressive) / Coral Beauty (semi aggressive) / Cherub Angel (semi aggressive) / Eibl's Angel (semi aggressive)

*not set on putting this fish in the tank, just an idea.

I have researched each of these species through multiple sites and they are listed as safe for my size tank and compatible with each other as long as I add them in this order. Of course we all know that not everything you see on the internet is true, so I would rather get some ideas from the people that actually have these fish (if possible).

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the wrasse front, definitely avoid the sixline (or any Pseudocheilinus), and a 40g is not large enough for C. solorensis (or most Cirrhilabrus, for that matter). It's borderline in size for Halichoeres as well, and personal I feel it is not enough tank for them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have 6 line wrasse in all 3 tanks and never had an aggression issue with them.

OP
OP
iceman14555

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd hold off on the dwarf angels. They are algae grazers and really need a mature tank to supply them with enough material to "eat" within the tank.

I figured as much, which is why I had him last on the list. Now I definitely will not be adding one for some time. Thanks for the feedback.

On the wrasse front, definitely avoid the sixline (or any Pseudocheilinus), and a 40g is not large enough for C. solorensis (or most Cirrhilabrus, for that matter). It's borderline in size for Halichoeres as well, and personal I feel it is not enough tank for them.

Do you have a source for this information? Many of the books I've read, and sites I've been to state a six line needs a 25 to 30 gallon minimum. I had one in my last 40; was my favorite to watch. He always seemed very active and happy.

Can you recommend any Wrasse, or similar fish, that would be suitable?

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 6 line wrasse in all 3 tanks and never had an aggression issue with them.
I know, most aggression I have seen from one is one that died in batlle with a Coral Banded Shrimp I had, which by then the shrimp had already killed two other Sixlines and a Coral Beauty. The third sixline did manage to take the coral banded to the grave with it though.

My current Sixline, Colonel Patterson, is the peacekeeper between my two clowns (Midnight clown - The Darkness, and Frostbite Clown - The Ghost).

Also the last time I added a fish, it was a dottyback that I wound up taking back because I was worried it would kill Colonel Patterson as within seconds of going in it started being aggressive to all three of my existing fish, and poor Colonel Patterson was looking and acting terrified.

OP
OP
iceman14555

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pink streak wrasse would be a great alternative to the sixline.

Also I wouldn't list clowns as peaceful. My percs were definitely little terrors in a 22g once mature and thinking about babies.
Lol, thank you for the Wrasse suggestion. My clowns I used to have we're like dogs they followed me around whenever I was near the tank and ate from my fingers. Every site I come across has them listed as peaceful, so I just followed suit.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, thank you for the Wrasse suggestion. My clowns I used to have we're like dogs they followed me around whenever I was near the tank and ate from my fingers. Every site I come across has them listed as peaceful, so I just followed suit.

Mine don't bite me (although some make their owners bleed) but they turned territorial around 3 years of age. They got babies on the brain.

Aggro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R,

While I'm waiting for my tank to cycle, I've been coming up with ideas for fish to add to the tank. This is just a work in progress and nothing is final yet. I'd like to get some feedback from the forum on what my idea is and if it can be improved or changed for the better. Ultimately the health of the fish and my aquarium are priority to what I want in my tank that's pretty.

I am running a Cobalt C-Vue 40 AIO with two Intank baskets filled with Marine Pure, a mini fuge section (empty at the moment) and filter floss. I also have a Icecap K2-50 protein skimmer, but that is not being run until the tank is cycled.

A site I came across calculated that I can safely put in ~14-16 inches of fish. So far my list is as follows in order of addition to the tank (keep in mind "/" denote an "or"):

1 pair of Gladiator / Snowflake clowns (peaceful)
1 Royal Gramma / similar (Peaceful)*
1 Six line Wrasse (semi aggressive) / Clown Fairy Wrasse (peaceful) / Yellow Coris Wrasse (peaceful)
1 Flame Angel (semi aggressive) / Coral Beauty (semi aggressive) / Cherub Angel (semi aggressive) / Eibl's Angel (semi aggressive)

*not set on putting this fish in the tank, just an idea.

I have researched each of these species through multiple sites and they are listed as safe for my size tank and compatible with each other as long as I add them in this order. Of course we all know that not everything you see on the internet is true, so I would rather get some ideas from the people that actually have these fish (if possible).

I’m currently cycling my biocube 32 and my first additions are going to be a gladiator clown and a black ice crown. Will probably get an bta at the same time as well. Do you think it would be safe to go all three at the same time?

OP
OP
iceman14555

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m currently cycling my biocube 32 and my first additions are going to be a gladiator clown and a black ice crown. Will probably get an bta at the same time as well. Do you think it would be safe to go all three at the same time?
I'd wait on the anemone. They require mature water, 6 months or more. If you want to add all three at the same time, I'd wait till then.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a source for this information? Many of the books I've read, and sites I've been to state a six line needs a 25 to 30 gallon minimum.
The tank size is not the issue for P. hexataenia (nor did I claim it was), but the aggression potential for the whole genus is exceptionally high. Of course, there are always exceptions to the norm, but it's best not to bank on them.

OP
OP
iceman14555

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank size is not the issue for P. hexataenia (nor did I claim it was), but the aggression potential for the whole genus is exceptionally high. Of course, there are always exceptions to the norm, but it's best not to bank on them.
I appreciate the insight, and keep it in mind. Never thought of Wrasses as being so aggressive, everyone of them I've come across have always seemed so peaceful and floaty in an aquarium. The one I used to have was fun to watch clean his tank mates.

OP
OP
iceman14555

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have amended my list to include the feedback from others. Also, added my first fishes to the tank. Take a look

1 pair of Gladiator / Snowflake clowns (peaceful) Added 2 black snowflake clowns 5/23

1 Royal Gramma / similar (Peaceful) *unsure on adding

1 Six line Wrasse (semi aggressive) / Clown Fairy Wrasse (peaceful)*caution / Yellow Coris Wrasse (peaceful)*caution / Pink Streak Wrasse (peaceful) / blue cleaner wrasse (peaceful) / filamented flasher wrasse (peaceful)

OP
OP
iceman14555

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an update for everyone.

Current fish in tank:
2 Black snowflake clowns
1 diamond watchman goby

Inverts in tank:
1 blood shrimp
Assorted snails and hermits

I'm thinking of picking up a new fish this week.

Royal gramma is a possible choice, anyone have experience with them?

Or should I ship the gramma? And go with something else on my list?

What say you R2R?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammas are nice. They tend to just pick a cave and stake a territory around it. Can be a little aggressive and reclusive getting settled but are generally pretty good additions to tanks. Other basslets to consider are the small Liopropoma, swalesi being a good one relatively inexpensive, the cave basslet is a gorgeous pink, swissguards are nice but starting to get a bit pricey. Assessors are neat and fill a similar niche really interesting swimming patterns.

OP
OP
iceman14555

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammas are nice. They tend to just pick a cave and stake a territory around it. Can be a little aggressive and reclusive getting settled but are generally pretty good additions to tanks. Other basslets to consider are the small Liopropoma, swalesi being a good one relatively inexpensive, the cave basslet is a gorgeous pink, swissguards are nice but starting to get a bit pricey. Assessors are neat and fill a similar niche really interesting swimming patterns.
I was originally looking at an assessor, but they seem very hard to find in stock. Thanks for the information. I'll look into the others.

OP
OP
iceman14555

iceman14555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update time!

Here is my current stock list and plans for the future.

1 pair of Gladiator / Snowflake clowns (peaceful) Added 2 black snowflake clowns 5/23

1 Bi-color blenny / Watchman Goby / Randall's Goby (peaceful) Added Diamond watchman goby 6/19

1 Royal Gramma / similar (Peaceful) *unsure on adding

1 Six line Wrasse (semi aggressive) / Clown Fairy Wrasse (peaceful)*caution / Yellow Coris Wrasse (peaceful)*caution / Pink Streak Wrasse (peaceful) / blue cleaner wrasse (peaceful) / filamented flasher wrasse (peaceful) Added Melanurus Wrasse 8/09

All that is left is my dwarf angelfish. I decided since I added the wrasse, which can get a bit bigger (between 4.5-6") I would lower my total fish from 6 to 5. As far an angelfish go, I know most of them are semi aggressive, with some exceptions. Does anyone have any other recommendations on angels, that do not cost an arm and a leg, besides the ones I've already looked at?

Back