Wire and Controller Management/Organization

rskarvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to get some input regarding the placement of the electrical board I plan to install for a system consisting of two 6'x2'x1' frag tanks and a 150 gallon rubbermaid tub as a sump.

I was originally planning on mounting a leftover piece of 2'x4' MDF to the wall behind the tanks and over the sump. I also originally thought of mounting it vertically, but now vertically seems to make more sense as vertically it would hang farther from the top of the sump (and potential water exposure). The only other spot for the mounting board that I could think of is under the tank on the right side mounted to the back of the stand. I am just uncertain if I will have convenient access to the controllers and if there isn't a better place or manner in which I should mount this board.

I will attach pictures and hope they speak for themselves; if any clarification is required, please just ask!

Thanks for your time!

9d1be1550a062404d77161eef347d998.jpg

226780025a17fc4ff27f469cb88004da.jpg

86e84e3d7df3c3daa1b8279bab641368.jpg

OP
OP
R

rskarvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if I posted this in the wrong group. This was the closest thing I could find while on my phone, though I have read cord management and mounting board threads somewhere else on R2R.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY or Equipment forum might be a little bit better but nothing wrong with it being here, I'd say I think mounting it on the face of your frag stand would leave you tons of room behind for wiring and very easy access for anything

OP
OP
R

rskarvan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY or Equipment forum might be a little bit better but nothing wrong with it being here, I'd say I think mounting it on the face of your frag stand would leave you tons of room behind for wiring and very easy access for anything

thanks for the response. my only concerns with it there are water being dripped onto electronics from having hands, etc. in the tank, and brushing a controller off its mount carelessly walking by the stand.

LEOreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I came up with, granted on a smaller scale than yours. It's a IKEA cabinet mounted to my stand with a locking door and a led inside. I drilled a hole and put a desk grommet to feed the wires through. The have tons of sizes that can fit your needs

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0035.JPG

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can always recess the panel by mounting it to the rear of the front legs. And then you wouldn't have to worry about hitting things or spilling water on them. If you're feeling ambitious and playing off of Curry you could then mount cabinet doors overtop on the face of the legs. They could be nice glass doors with a little lighting up top, or even flourescent acrylic, whatever you wish. One tank could have all the controllers and pumps and such and make a matching set up with say glass shelving for all your testing equipment, additives and so on on your second frag tank.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back