Wireless connectivity recommendation?

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Apex Gold which generally is working well, but I do get frequent communication errors. I can't run an ethernet cable from my home modem to the controller, so I'm using a Netgear wireless Internet Adaptor, a wnce2001. I picked it up used on ebay. I think it is the source of my intermittent connectivity.

I know this is pretty old technology. Does anyone have a recommendation for what I should be replacing it with?

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use that for about 3 months when I switched tank and had to move my old tank to a new location away from the router and wire was not looking good. I had to unplug the wce2001 once in a while but it was like 3 weeks to a month....It was very good imo. When you say "get frequent communication errors", was the error from fusion saying it cannot reach your apex like this error below? When you see this fusion error, you can really double check to see if the fusion is acting up or the wifi device is not working. If you don't have port forwarding setup, you might need to go home and try to access the Apex using its local IP address. I have had 2 disconnection emails from Fusion lately, but those were false alarm because the phone apps was working still in both cases. Neptune fixed this issue automatically in the past so there is nothing you have to do on your side in this case. About finding alternatives.....I think people like the outlet adapters better...
4EPEZL7l.jpg

pqYKXeBl.png

I have an Apex Gold which generally is working well, but I do get frequent communication errors. I can't run an ethernet cable from my home modem to the controller, so I'm using a Netgear wireless Internet Adaptor, a wnce2001. I picked it up used on ebay. I think it is the source of my intermittent connectivity.

I know this is pretty old technology. Does anyone have a recommendation for what I should be replacing it with?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use that for about 3 months when I switched tank and had to move my old tank to a new location away from the router and wire was not looking good. I had to unplug the wce2001 once in a while but it was like 3 weeks to a month....It was very good imo. When you say "get frequent communication errors", was the error from fusion saying it cannot reach your apex like this error below? When you see this fusion error, you can really double check to see if the fusion is acting up or the wifi device is not working. If you don't have port forwarding setup, you might need to go home and try to access the Apex using its local IP address. I have had 2 disconnection emails from Fusion lately, but those were false alarm because the phone apps was working still in both cases. Neptune fixed this issue automatically in the past so there is nothing you have to do on your side in this case. About finding alternatives.....I think people like the outlet adapters better...
4EPEZL7l.jpg

pqYKXeBl.png
My firmware is 4.40_AA15. I spoke to Neptune support a couple of months ago and they said I did not need to update my firmware.
I am having communication problems that manifest in 3 ways as follows:
1) I get the "Apex disconnected" message you posted - ~10% of the time.
2) When I press a button on Fusion (Off/Auto/On) it reverts back to its original state - ~80% of the time
3) When I press a button on Fusion I get this error message - ~10% of the time
Capture.JPG

Kungpaoshizi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt it's the netgear, but could be. The way to check would be to get a computer on the network and access the classic control panel to check the ip status/etc? I think that's right? Been awhile since I've had an apex so you'll have to forgive me.. :)

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doubt it's the netgear, but could be. The way to check would be to get a computer on the network and access the classic control panel to check the ip status/etc? I think that's right? Been awhile since I've had an apex so you'll have to forgive me.. :)
I'd add that the Netgear status light is frequently amber (not a good connection) and occasionally red (no connection). My laptop gets a reliable wireless signal in the same part of the house as the Netgear.

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How far away from the router is your netgear device? If the LED on the netgear wifi is not green then you might need to find alternative solution which is right back to your question :)

Many people like the power line adapter but I don't use that so I can't vouch for one brand. I like linksys/cisco network product in general. Netgear is not bad!

I'd add that the Netgear status light is frequently amber (not a good connection) and occasionally red (no connection). My laptop gets a reliable wireless signal in the same part of the house as the Netgear.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Physically, my router is about 30 feet from my Netgear device. There is one floor between them. I can say that my laptop gets a strong signal from my router when it is in close proximity to the Netgear.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a million times a mo people call us due to web outages all mad

we tell them to raise the router off the floor fix 99% of them, those routers are outputting prob a quarter watt at ~4 inches tall total signal depending on freq, so, if its bounding through walls or hitting you in the feet = issues, and reflections are how you get on occasionally

wheres that bad boy mounted, the router

you mentioned the floor sep above, and that signal is linear running right across the top, reflections are how its getting down and even those were muted from the orig output

make a booster setup or angle that router sideways to shoot signal directionally better

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey does that rascal work good enough to run a 3 story house off one router, I literally had a customer ask me for this ability just 1 min ago and we began considering stronger powered outputs but that above looks so much easier. does it work great for like 3000 sq foot setups (where the common router is rated ~900 sf)

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a million times a mo people call us due to web outages all mad

we tell them to raise the router off the floor fix 99% of them, those routers are outputting prob a quarter watt at ~4 inches tall total signal depending on freq, so, if its bounding through walls or hitting you in the feet = issues, and reflections are how you get on occasionally

wheres that bad boy mounted, the router

you mentioned the floor sep above, and that signal is linear running right across the top, reflections are how its getting down and even those were muted from the orig output

make a booster setup or angle that router sideways to shoot signal directionally better
AH HA!!! The one thing I failed to mention is that this problem appeared recently. I re-arranged the office that houses my router and I MOVED THE ROUTER FROM ON TOP OF MY DESK TO THE FLOOR!!! I *think* the problems coincided with the change in the router location. It will move the router back and re-test tonight. As it turns out, my Netgear is mounted very close to the ceiling in my basement. I will play with that location too and see if I can get a more reliable connection.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a crappy troubleshooter but quite the obsessive drone flyer, hence routing rules my hobby. when im in my car and my drone is about to crash into a mountain due to low signal, I step out of the car and raise up the hacked router zip tied to the back of my rc controller and regain enough punch to return home :)

and when that doesn't work, I cry and pay more for replacements, that simple. I then use the new drone to go look at the old one I cannot recover that some lucky hiker will discover one day.

wranodj99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Netgear connection stunk so bad that I'm running a cable to the basement through the floor. I've read on R2R about configuring an old router for the task. Though I have not tried.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Netgear connection stunk so bad that I'm running a cable to the basement through the floor. I've read on R2R about configuring an old router for the task. Though I have not tried.
I see you are a Dead Head <bksp><bksp><bksp><bksp> Leg :cool:. Back in the day when I had hair, people confused me with Jerry!

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey does that rascal work good enough to run a 3 story house off one router, I literally had a customer ask me for this ability just 1 min ago and we began considering stronger powered outputs but that above looks so much easier. does it work great for like 3000 sq foot setups (where the common router is rated ~900 sf)

I have 4 of these, one next to the router for outbound, and then 3 of them receiving data, one upstairs in the gaming room, one in my bedroom and one at my Apex. the two not going to my apex go to my routers, configured into a mesh network covering the 4200 sq ft :)

sfmacguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you can get higher speeds (gigabit) than the one i listed for increased cost. But for an apex the 100-500mb should be plenty.

OP
OP
jgvergo

jgvergo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 of these, one next to the router for outbound, and then 3 of them receiving data, one upstairs in the gaming room, one in my bedroom and one at my Apex. the two not going to my apex go to my routers, configured into a mesh network covering the 4200 sq ft :)
Does transmission speed drop if you plug them in to different circuits and if you plug them into a power strip that, in turn, plugs into a wall receptacle?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back