wiring PCI cl280 chiller

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PCI is out of business. When I got the new controller several yrs ago nothing was sent with it. I tried to wire it as the old one but it has never been right.
Not sure if you saw my question, but do you own a meter you can use to test resistance with?

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can trace all wires , write down where they end. Your making a pictorial schematic. Try to remember original control
Wiring . Many times I just bypass controller. And use external controller. Not hard to do. Only thing you can only have cooling control. No heater.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a Fluke 73 meter. I can read Ohms
Not sure what I was thinking... most chiller controllers don't use internal power but this one must. We will need to take voltage readings.

I think it is safe to say that since the controller section lights up and works that the power in (black cable) must be correct.
Since it is reading temperature the sensor cable (gray cable) must be correct.

That only leaves the two black wires. My guess is that the right black wire will need to be lifted and put in the empty spot right of the red wire in the black cable.
upload_2018-8-17_13-19-43.png

Before doing that, I think it would be best to check voltages with the meter.

I would disconnect both black wires to the transformer and take an AC voltage reading between the terminals they connect through. Take this reading with temperature below the setpoint and above the setpoint.

Compare this to a voltage taken between these two terminals.
upload_2018-8-17_13-20-56.png

OP
OP
T

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK got new fuses so here goes.

Controller in non heat/cool mode
2 blk leads to controller transformer disconnected no power to controller
2 blk leads connected @ transformer 11.6 volts at leads connection to the controller
2 hvy red and gray leads disconnected have 110 volts at wires and approx .9 volts at controller where the leads were previously connected
have power to controller
Controller in heat mode
2 hvy red and gray leads disconnected from controller 110 volts
connections at controller where leads would have been connected 0 volts
2 blk leads at controller transformer still 11.6 volts
reconnect red and grays wires compressor runs
Controller in cool mode
2 hvy red and gray leads disconnected 110 volts. Connections at controller about .02 volts again with wires disconnected
2 blk leads to controller transformer still 11.6 volts
compressor does not run with all wires reconnected

I hear a audible click in the controller each time it goes into either heat or cool mode

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 hvy red and gray leads disconnected have 110 volts at wires and approx .9 volts at controller where the leads were previously connected
have power to controller
Edit.. nevermind... figured this part out....

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me try this again.... I have a good idea what is going on now. The red and gray (black jacket) isn't power in. It is a way to stop current flow through a dry contact on the controller. We got this!!!

Disconnect both of these leads and move them aside. Be careful not to shock yourself on them!

Take a resistance reading (ohms) between these points with the leads lifted. I expect it to be close to 0 ohm in heat mode and probably an error in cool mode.
upload_2018-8-22_14-31-7.png

Also take a resistance between these two points in both heat and cooling mode.
upload_2018-8-22_14-34-19.png

If this is near 0 ohms in cool mode and an error or very high in heat mode you can connect the red and gray wires here and it should work.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't get the anticipated readings above, try taking a resistance between these two points. Again, if you get near zero in cool mode and an error or high in heat mode then this would be the correct location to connect the red and gray wires.
upload_2018-8-22_14-37-13.png

OP
OP
T

tigre44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't get the anticipated readings above, try taking a resistance between these two points. Again, if you get near zero in cool mode and an error or high in heat mode then this would be the correct location to connect the red and gray wires.
upload_2018-8-22_14-37-13.png
Brew 12 thanks for your help switching those two wires did the trick thanks for being patient with me and guiding me through this again thanks!!!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew 12 thanks for your help switching those two wires did the trick thanks for being patient with me and guiding me through this again thanks!!!
Glad to help, I enjoy a good challenge!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back