Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Last edited:

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it's been a few weeks decided to give an update on my dino war. The silica + mb7 has really brought the dino population way down. Even the cyno that popped up after the dinos has gone way down as well. I'd say it's probably down 95% since my last update. There are a few problem spots that still have a bit of dinos that develops during the daytime.

My problem is, the decrease in dino's has seemed to stall.
Do they ever fully go away? If not when do I declare victory?

I'm thinking about another blackout attempt, but I'm not sure how often I can do that. I just did that late November and I'm assuming the last few corals will need a bit of a break ...some being on the verge of death...

Does anyone know how long between blackouts?
Do I just cut my losses with the struggling corals?
Will this finish off the last remnants of the dinos?

Thanks everyone for your input so far on my battle!

Happy Holidays.
Merry Christmas.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Glad to hear there's been improvement! I had dinos for a while but with my high nutrients I believe they were eventually out competed by coralline, corals & other algae. I think with all the fish and feedings it helped a lot as well. I'm not sure about the time between blackouts but there are definitely cloudy/dark days over the ocean so I'm sure you could do so here and there without hurting anything. Maybe we can get @vetteguy53081 or @Tamberav opinion on the blackout? Once again glad it seems to be going away & best of luck :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Glad to hear there's been improvement! I had dinos for a while but with my high nutrients I believe they were eventually out competed by coralline, corals & other algae. I think with all the fish and feedings it helped a lot as well. I'm not sure about the time between blackouts but there are definitely cloudy/dark days over the ocean so I'm sure you could do so here and there without hurting anything. Maybe we can get @vetteguy53081 or @Tamberav opinion on the blackout? Once again glad it seems to be going away & best of luck :)
Dino us a flagellate and is photosynthetic, depending on light to multiply. Blackout alone starved it if it’s needed fuel. Adding liquid bacteria competes with its own energy source and adding hydrogen peroxide at night breaks up the molecules.
Clean filters and skimmer daily to remove all traces of flagellate

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it has been 7 months since the first fish has gone into the tank and I am finally getting things under control and stable. No4 is 12.5 and po3 is .01 now I have to set a timer on my cheato so I don't bottom it out. But everything is looking great. Have some cyano in the sand but been dosing mb7 and sucking it out to combat it. So that's my tank update.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So it has been 7 months since the first fish has gone into the tank and I am finally getting things under control and stable. No4 is 12.5 and po3 is .01 now I have to set a timer on my cheato so I don't bottom it out. But everything is looking great. Have some cyano in the sand but been dosing mb7 and sucking it out to combat it. So that's my tank update.
Awesome news! Congrats :)

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I declare victory over the dino's. I have scraped at least a dozen parts of my system and have found no trace of them whatsoever.

Happy So Excited GIF

I never had time to implement a 2nd blackout due to the busy holiday, but I guess it wasn't needed. I guess what I really needed was a little more time for everything else to out compete the dinos.

Time to celebrate! I think i might get a new fish in the qt queue or maybe a frag if I feel brave enough.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Today I declare victory over the dino's. I have scraped at least a dozen parts of my system and have found no trace of them whatsoever.

Happy So Excited GIF

I never had time to implement a 2nd blackout due to the busy holiday, but I guess it wasn't needed. I guess what I really needed was a little more time for everything else to out compete the dinos.

Time to celebrate! I think i might get a new fish in the qt queue or maybe a frag if I feel brave enough.
Very cool! Congrats :)

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks like 2 more tanks on their way to stability!

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well I started another tank... my wife is thrilled lol.. It will be a fowlr tank with possibly some anemones. Started as a 40g in wall but upgraded to a 75 :) painted the back with some blue I had and actually really like it. I will be upgrading to a sump in the near future and a controller. For now a couple large hob's with chemipure elite and some sponges. Hope everyone had a great holiday & new year!

Attachments

• 20211230_140407.jpg
    20211230_140407.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20211227_113646.jpg
    20211227_113646.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 49
OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So far my inhabitants consist of 2 saddle back clowns, 2 zebra striped damsels, a blue spotted toby puffer, a yellow angel & a sleeper goby with a pistol shrimp that hides all the time now because of my puffer addition. I think the puffer learned it's lesson the last time it attempted to eat it. The pistol shrimp grabbed it by its beak and then did its thing, was quite loud and the puffer swam away uninjured thankfully. I will be switching my lights from my dt to @noopsyche lights and using my old ones on this tank. Excited :)

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I started another tank... my wife is thrilled lol.. It will be a fowlr tank with possibly some anemones. Started as a 40g in wall but upgraded to a 75 :) painted the back with some blue I had and actually really like it. I will be upgrading to a sump in the near future and a controller. For now a couple large hob's with chemipure elite and some sponges. Hope everyone had a great holiday & new year!
Once that sump hits I give it 6 months before it's a full blown reef lol. Way to sneak one in ha

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's certainly been a bit, but I'm back. Some life developments have kept me from posting. My mother in law got diagnosed with breast cancer and she was our primary childcare when my wife was recovering from thirds.

The tank is doing mostly fine, but it's been in a holding pattern while we deal with this. I'm hoping to get back on the horse soon. My plan is to get some more corals soon and some sort of sand sifting creature, be that fish or invert.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back