PXL_20220208_220334588.MP.jpg

PXL_20220208_220202996.MP.jpg
Awesome!

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya nothing to new just finally getting on the good side of my cyano outbreak and working on raising nitrate and phosphate.

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I've been battling the same honestly. I can't seem to keep nutrients any higher than undetectable in this tank. No matter how little I dose NP-Bacto-Balance it seems between the skimmer and the filter pads I basically keep 0 nutrients in this tank. Luckily no Dino's at all probably thanks to my UV.

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you changing you socks. Maybe let them sit a couple extra days to help raise them or maybe skim a little dryer. Also if you have any man made bricks or even the balls maybe try taking some out. You could have to much.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Still need a build thread but the inwall 75 is coming along pretty nice. Got an awesome bta from @Evan28395950 . Took some mushrooms from the main dt. Ordered new pumps today & have the sump running with a filter roller, skimmer & fuge. Now controlled by GHL :)

Attachments

• 20220215_131138.jpg
    20220215_131138.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 20220215_131607.jpg
    20220215_131607.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 52

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my tank is still firmly within the ugly phase, without much exciting going on, but I did just need to make an equipment change and switch up my lighting and pump.

I've also ceased dosing TM Bacto-Balance entirely because my nutrients are completely undetectable with test kits. I've actually begun dosing Nitratest and Phosphates so that I am hovering around 5 ppm Nitrates and .04 Phos. I really don't want to deal with Dino's again and this is going to be primary a softy and LPS tank and having those low nutrients is stressing some of my coral out.

But, on to the big news.

I replaced my Maxspect Jump 65W LED's with the new Current USA R24 lights. One of my Maxspect lights connecttion to my wifi died and appears to be out for the count. Frankly, I've been looking for an excuse to change lights anyways. Not because of the performance, as these lights appear to do a good job, but the SYNA-G Cloud app is atrocious and there is no alternative for it. The options for it were pretty good, but it was so buggy. I realize it's a pretty new product, but there's no excuse these days for not having a stable control app on an android or IOS device. Not to mention if you change WIFI settings the process for changing the connection is needlessly complex.

I bought the Current USA R24's because they seem to be a decent price/performance and I already have the current usa wave pumps that have performed well for me. It's also an attractive form factor and a pretty compact unit:

PXL_20220218_221648442.jpg PXL_20220218_221600828.jpg

So far the setup is really simply with the Bluetooth controller that Current uses. I'll say that other options might have slightly more full featured apps for the scheduling, but it's got full spectrum control and timings. The weather stuff on it seems a little more gimmicky than it is useful. It is nice to be able to control your pumps, lights, and see your water temps all in one app.

I have no performance figures yet. The spectrum SEEMS nice and the lights appear bright, but PAR testing and long-term use will be the decider of that. I was between these and the Reef Breeders and I ultimately decided on these because the mounting options seemed easier and I like how compact they are.

I also replaced my pump. The MightyJet pump that came with the IM was functional, but it was never exactly a quiet pump and after several months with this tank it's only gotten louder. I replaced it with a Hygger 800 watt DC unit that I'm running at about 35% power and it is completely silent with more flow, thought it was annoying fitting it down the overflow.

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a current pic of my tank. No big issues currently, just working on keeping everything stable. Current project is to upgrade the lights with Reef Brite strips to remove any shadowing due to aquascape and growth. I really like the combo of 2x XR15 blue for PAR, 1x a360x for shimmer and 420 nm boost and XHO for shadow fill.
1614375986504.png

1614376005217.png

1614376293955.png

In the sump area I am currently working my way through an issue with a 1/2" apex flow sensor. It causes my FMM to go a bit flaky and drop off occasionally. I think it is interference and read that adding a ferrite ring will help. Upgraded my CO2 scrubber to a dual container and replaced the standard inserts with the reactor style from BRS. I also added a water catch (the tupperware on the right) to reduce the amount of water in scrubber. Works much better now. Fuge has really taken off after upgrading to an H380 light and replacing the dying chaeto with some of the finer hair type. Was having issues with the chaeto dying because of Vibrant. That stuff can be wicked.
1614376105703.png

In the frag tank I have a new baby anemone that split off ~1 week ago (Seattle Sunburst). Also recently fragged some Zoas and nursing a NYK torch and OG bounce back to health. The OG bounce is one of the things I have been struggling with. After dosing Vibrant (grrr) it shrank up and bleached (lower right corner of the tank). It still has "mini bubbles", a mouth and is attached, but no darker pigment. I am trying to bring it back with some Zoox. in a bottle (Phycopure)... we shall see if it works.
1614376454511.png

1614376483021.png
I love the Kessil Radion Combination. I will be upgrading from my 60g to a much larger build in about a year. We will be moving into a new house and I will have some more room. As far as color blending goes do you notice where the Kessil is over your tank as opposed to the Radions?

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love the Kessil Radion Combination. I will be upgrading from my 60g to a much larger build in about a year. We will be moving into a new house and I will have some more room. As far as color blending goes do you notice where the Kessil is over your tank as opposed to the Radions?
No issues. If you want more of a uniform look, turn the kessil more blue. If you want to highlight the shimmer more, turn the kessil more towards white.

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my 60g cube. I will be upgrading to a 180+ hopefully in the fall (my rescue yellow tang will enjoy the much-needed upgrade)! I can give more details if you would like on parameters and sump equipment. Overall it is nothing very fancy. I just upgraded from one Kessil a360x to a Radion XR 30 G5 Pro.

reef tank.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is my 60g cube. I will be upgrading to a 180+ hopefully in the fall (my rescue yellow tang will enjoy the much-needed upgrade)! I can give more details if you would like on parameters and sump equipment. Overall it is nothing very fancy. I just upgraded from one Kessil a360x to a Radion XR 30 G5 Pro.

reef tank.JPG
Looks great!

fauxproreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is tucked into a rock crevice just out of the direct blast of the power head has been there over 3 months.
Nice! At first, I was concerned about the placement but then I realized "Wait, it can't sting anything and I can hand feed it with ease. This is kinda awesome!" :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reef tank.JPG

nice cube!

Viperdragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I made a 40 gallon sump and used acrylic instead of glass. I had a baffle come losse as it pulled away from the silicone. I even put in some braces to help prevent this from happening but it did. Is there anyway to put it back in place without having to start over and wait a week for the silicone to dry.

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Unfortunately whatever silicone you use will have to cure before water. I also built both my sumps with acryllic baffles instead of glass. Here is what I use and have never had any issues. Best of luck & sorry for your troubles

OP
OP
Zach B

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I did however put a box fan on top of the sump blowing air in while it was drying/curing. I believe it cut down the time a bit

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back