With fronds like these, who needs anemones: A RS Reefer 350 G2 Tank

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She's full. Salt mixed. Thin layer of sand in (I hate doing it all at once). Cycle started. Rocks ordered. Let the games begin!

1679347134033.png
Looks amazing !
can’t wait to see it full

one question though. ,
Is that the thermostat for your house heating between the lights ?
If so do you find the humidity from the tank effects anything ?

I had to move my tank from the one wall the heat would never turn on ( and Canadian winters can be cold without heat

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks amazing !
can’t wait to see it full

one question though. ,
Is that the thermostat for your house heating between the lights ?
If so do you find the humidity from the tank effects anything ?

I had to move my tank from the one wall the heat would never turn on ( and Canadian winters can be cold without heat

It is our thermostat! So far, so good and we haven't had any issues. We have a dehumidifier that runs, though so I'm hoping we won't have an issue anytime soon, but definitely something we're keeping an eye on.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It is our thermostat! So far, so good and we haven't had any issues. We have a dehumidifier that runs, though so I'm hoping we won't have an issue anytime soon, but definitely something we're keeping an eye on.
I think those are pretty easy to move. Just a few 12V wires.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Non-photo quick update:

-Clean up crew arrived and was added last week.
-Uglies (brown algea and a little GHA) mostly resolved
-Started an acclimation light cycle today. If algea starts coming back too fast, I'll dial it back to no/low blues.
-Zoas/current corals have all been doing well, despite the low blue short light cycle the past several days.
-If all goes well, plan to move in a torch or hammer (maybe both TBD) next.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The kid and the hus-beast were off school/work today and went on a boys' adventure a little ways away to pick up some things, and ended up at my favorite LFS on the way home. (@Tiki Corals) The text convo went something like:

Teen: I like this fish <photo of Tomini Tang>
Me: No. He'll be an *******. Has to be added last.
Teen: Fine. This one. <Lemonpeel Angel photo>
Me: No. Another *******.
Teen: Fine. THIS. <coral beauty>
Me: Ok fine.

SIMULTANEOUS THREAD:
Husband: Hey I like this pistol shrimp <sends a photo with barely any shrimp visible>
Me: Cute, but it'd need a goby friend.
Husband: Oh don't worry it has a goby it's paired with.
Me: Ok, what kind?
Husband: I dunno, spots? I just bought them. The teen is excited about it and wanted them over whatever he was looking at that you said no to. We're on our way home.
Me: Well... ok then.

Needless to say, we welcomed a pistol shrimp and orange spotted prawn goby into the tank this evening as a surprise.

:face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting here scrolling late, and just heard the first pistol shrimp crack... snap... whatever we call this noise.

Scared the you-know-what outta me first of all, but then I laughed. But I'm also wondering if he picked off a snail or a baby porcelain crab. :sob:

I don't care much about CUC most of the time. They do a job, and I can order more. But I ordered several porcelain crabs with near-future RFA hosting/fun in mind, so I'm really hoping the pistol shrimp doesn't pick them off since they're so tiny. (Around half an inch total claw to claw size, actual shell even smaller)

Oh well. Nature and all that. Whatever happens will happen. I will say the first snap was hilarious, fun, and fookin louder than expected!

Carter o51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the angel: the cherub is my favorite fish and has a ton of personality, but I’ve found them hit and miss being reef safe. Has nipped at my acans in the past!

907_Reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sitting here scrolling late, and just heard the first pistol shrimp crack... snap... whatever we call this noise.

Scared the you-know-what outta me first of all, but then I laughed. But I'm also wondering if he picked off a snail or a baby porcelain crab. :sob:

I don't care much about CUC most of the time. They do a job, and I can order more. But I ordered several porcelain crabs with near-future RFA hosting/fun in mind, so I'm really hoping the pistol shrimp doesn't pick them off since they're so tiny. (Around half an inch total claw to claw size, actual shell even smaller)

Oh well. Nature and all that. Whatever happens will happen. I will say the first snap was hilarious, fun, and fookin louder than expected!

My pistol is also LOUD, we'll hear him from across the house.. "snap" I call it. Haven't seen any issue with him going after CUC, that I am aware of.. But he does love pulling any loose frags sitting on the sand bed into his cave... From almost all the way across the tank..

We need a FTS! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to wait for another FTS until more of the diatoms/brown algea situation clears up, but why not!

20230429_161145.jpg

20230429_161302.jpg

Glued down the zoa on the bottom left rock. The rest are just hanging out acclimating and while I think they'll live near where they currently are, could still move things around a little as needed.

Projects with Sam

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
And in case no one has ever seen a Blenny using a Nori clip as his personal recliner, here you go! Tank maintenance day tomorrow so I'll update on parameters and FTS!

20230506_104743.jpg
My Canary Blenny (RIP) used to hang out on the clip. I thought he was waiting to bite me.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a small water change today (~10%) for the first time in this tank. It was . . . not fun. lol But at least I know what to expect for next time, though! Took about an hour to get the return pump and overflow back to happy. I didn't turn the return pump off though, assuming such a small amount of water wouldn't matter too much. It did. Next time I'll just kill the pumps before the water change. :grinning-face-with-sweat: I also turned the return pump flow up a notch, so that played into today's reconfiguration, as well.

Moved in the Frogspawn after the dust settled. It's still mad in these photos, so I'll post an update once it opens back up.

I have a surprise (for everyone else in the family) shipment of RFAs arriving next week. I went back and forth on if I wanted any in this tank or not, and landed on heck yea. I just love them so much and it's an easy way to add interest. Planning to put them all on the left side bottom of the tank, knowing that they'll move wherever they want to go. :)

I noticed during the water change that the sump got messy way faster than I thought it would. Turned the flow way up and changed out the filter socks. I don't particularly mind the socks so I haven't gotten the Reefmat, yet. I'll have to add a good sump cleaning to routine maintenance soon. Cheato may or may not be growing. :shrug: It looks to be the same size, but it's green and looks happy so I'll call it a win for now.

Also have a healthy pod population on the glass! Thanks to @Dinkins Aquatic Gardens for delivering the snacklepack I ordered so quickly! We also dunked in a couple of nudibranch from Dinkins to help with the aiptasia that the filefish is thus far ignoring, and what do ya know, the filefish went and ate two of the darn nudis. (Thus dubbing the Filefish the resident "jerk" of the tank for now lol) The other two nudi made it to the bottom of the tank, but I haven't seen them again. (But tbh I haven't been looking very hard after dark)

Pistol shrimp has been snapping away. He's living under the marco rock shelf in the middle. Goby is over on the right hand side under the arch in his own cave. I haven't seen them together since day 1 when we dropped them in, but it's still early on.

FTS:
20230507_141538.jpg

Used an orange filter for these.

Zoa on the bottom left of the tank:
20230507_141559.jpg

I have some AOI Zoa I haven't dropped in, yet. I'm thinking of putting them in their own area, though. Perhaps on the bottom right all by themself.

Fox coral and bubble coral looking good. Color is a little odd with the filter.
20230507_141609.jpg

PJs have been consistently hanging out over here by the torch arch. Aforementioned angry Frogspawn that got moved in today. And I forgot to mention that I'm trying to nurse a ricordia back to health - you can barely see it. Also if you squint, Goby is hanging out on the sand behind the Frog. Thinking that far right rock with the turkey wing clams could be the AOI Zoa home, I just need to blast the sand off.
20230507_141624.jpg

Will update again later next week after the RFAs go in! :)

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank maintenance Sunday! Clocked parameters at:

Salinity 1.025
Temp 78.6*F
Alk 9.6 dKH
No3 17.7
PO4 0.16

Moved a couple frags around. Acans were unhappy directly under the lights on the bottom piece of the shelf, so moved them to the right back right corner to see if they're happier in lower light and flow. Also moved the Sunkist Psammocora (the only SPS in this tank) up a bit on top of the left tower. It was fine on the middle shelf, but there's more flow over there, so hopefully it will encrust.

You'll note the lack of RFAs, shipment was delayed, which is OK with me. I'm in no rush. They should arrive this week after I'm back from a work trip up to Baltimore. I was hoping to have time to check out a LFS on Wednesday before I catch the train home, but looks like work will take up more time than I thought (curses). Maybe next trip!

FTS: bonus points if you can find the blenny's new favorite lounging spot. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

20230514_150906.jpg

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank maintenance Sunday! Clocked parameters at:

Salinity 1.025
Temp 78.6*F
Alk 9.6 dKH
No3 17.7
PO4 0.16

Moved a couple frags around. Acans were unhappy directly under the lights on the bottom piece of the shelf, so moved them to the right back right corner to see if they're happier in lower light and flow. Also moved the Sunkist Psammocora (the only SPS in this tank) up a bit on top of the left tower. It was fine on the middle shelf, but there's more flow over there, so hopefully it will encrust.

You'll note the lack of RFAs, shipment was delayed, which is OK with me. I'm in no rush. They should arrive this week after I'm back from a work trip up to Baltimore. I was hoping to have time to check out a LFS on Wednesday before I catch the train home, but looks like work will take up more time than I thought (curses). Maybe next trip!

FTS: bonus points if you can find the blenny's new favorite lounging spot. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

20230514_150906.jpg
drop in if you want and have time.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dropped a few new things in yesterday: some RFA, hammer, and a couple of zoa. I'll post photos once everyone settles in and opens up, but this RFA getting a piggy back ride on a hermit crab cracked me up this morning. Poor thing dragged his hitchhiker all the way across the tank.

20230520_110558.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back