Woke to this dead fish

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sure, the fish was ordered online and delivered to my house in Miami at about 10am est. I came back home from work and the fish was packaged very well and I inspected the fish throughly looked PERFECT! I floated the bag for temp acclimation then drip acclimated him with airstone and heater for about an hour.

I scooped him up in a container so I wouldn't use a net or hand and popped him in the qt. I observed him for a while and I still didn't see any injuries externally. I thawed out some hikari mysis soaked in selcon and he ate like a champ. I gave him another small feeding before turning off the room lights and again ate very well with even more vigor. I went to sleep with a smile.

I am literally in shock on how fast this fish looked when I woke up this morning.

More less asking if the fish came with the injuries, not suggesting anything with the handling.:) Could the fish have gotten wedge in the PVC and injured it'self trying to get unwedged?

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More less asking if the fish came with the injuries, not suggesting anything with the handling.:) Could the fish have gotten wedge in the PVC and injured it'self trying to get unwedged?

That could be a legit reason, didn't really think about it since I was able to gentle pull him out of the pvc with no issues.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like uronemia to me as well.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did dosed prazipro about a month ago, only one time treatment. Since then I've done wc and carbon
Prazipro needs at least 2 treatments minimal 2 be effective and it's not a medication that treats everything. The trigger could be a host and not show any signs.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^This. There is both a viral and bacterial version of this disease. The bacterial version (gram negative) pops up quick and this is only medication I've found that will successfully treat it: http://store.nationalfishpharm.com/Nitrofuracin-Green-59584.Item.html

Again, I truly appreciate all the input.

@Humblefish since I lost the fish in question what would be the best approach in disinfecting the qt properly? I would rather clean it out and avoid having to infect a new fish, I'd rather restart the system from scratch and let it cycle before qt'ing again.

Thanks again

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also do you think the fish came with it or I had it already in the tank and it attacked the newly stressout fish? Either way I would like restart the qt just in case

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the trigger fish been the culprit here. When you zoom in it almost looks like there are bite marks in the flesh?

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could the trigger fish been the culprit here. When you zoom in it almost looks like there are bite marks in the flesh?

I can take another look, I froze the sucker. lol
It's a one inch niger trigger which has been in this tank now for months along with clowns, blennys, shrimp, which all have been removed but never had any problems with him. He is actually very skittish lately since he has been along with all the live rock removed and turned the tank into a qt

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my thought, this looks to me like your trigger had a serious disagreement with the fish. I can't imagine anything looking healthy one day and then like this the next regardless of the infection. That to me looks like damage from the trigger, who are capable of inflicting serious damage. I would think it would attack more vulnerable areas but perhaps not triggers will sometimes go after other fish in the side. After a second read I see this is a Niger trigger and very small. That doesn't rule this out if the butterfly "offended him" it could get ugly. Niger are a docile trigger typically but still a trigger and they vary in temperament quite a bit.

I'm at a loss personally but I think I lean towards a trigger disagreement.

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my thought, this looks to me like your trigger had a serious disagreement with the fish. I can't imagine anything looking healthy one day and then like this the next regardless of the infection. That to me looks like damage from the trigger, who are capable of inflicting serious damage. I would think it would attack more vulnerable areas but perhaps not triggers will sometimes go after other fish in the side. After a second read I see this is a Niger trigger and very small. That doesn't rule this out if the butterfly "offended him" it could get ugly. Niger are a docile trigger typically but still a trigger and they vary in temperament quite a bit.

I'm at a loss personally but I think I lean towards a trigger disagreement.

I had read that they are probably one of the most docile triggers available but with that said your right they are triggers. I want to eliminate any possible variables to any newcomers to the qt so the Niger will be relocated.

Thanks @4FordFamily

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally feel the red splotches would be more localized if this was damaged inflicted by another fish. Unless internal organs were ruptured and/or blood pooled under the skin postmortem. :confused:

Griff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally feel the red splotches would be more localized if this was damaged inflicted by another fish. Unless internal organs were ruptured and/or blood pooled under the skin postmortem. :confused:

Maybe died from a disease then the trigger picked at it? The skin definitely looks torn though. Do you agree humble?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe died from a disease then the trigger picked at it? The skin definitely looks torn though. Do you agree humble?

I see what looks like could be bite marks in this pic:

58d0a157c157ff463b9bd730b88b6842.jpg

But I'm not entirely convinced it was the trigger. Looks a lot like hemorrhagic septicemia to me. Butterflyfish are notorious for getting this and other red sore-like bacterial infections.

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But I'm not entirely convinced it was the trigger. Looks a lot like hemorrhagic septicemia to me. Butterflyfish are notorious for getting this and other red sore-like bacterial infections.

@Humblefish I am leaning more towards what your diagnoses is. The trigger is soooooooooooo calm and cool with all the other fish he has been with. The butterfly also has lesions under its chin which indictates to me that it wasn't an attack by the trigger but a parasite or infection.

What should I do to the qt to eradicate this??

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But how could it go from a normal appearance to this in less than 24 hours?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I am leaning more towards what your diagnoses is. The trigger is soooooooooooo calm and cool with all the other fish he has been with. The butterfly also has lesions under its chin which indictates to me that it wasn't an attack by the trigger but a parasite or infection.

What should I do to the qt to eradicate this??

My first concern would be treating any fish that shared water with the butterfly. Some bacterial diseases are species specific, but I would still treat them all with Furan-2 as a precaution.

But how could it go from a normal appearance to this in less than 24 hours?
I've seen gram negative bacterial infections pop up overnight and kill within 12-24 hrs. I'll take velvet any day over a gram negative infection.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back