Woke to this dead fish

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the title meant to say Woke up to this

I got this semi from NYaquatics yesterday and woke up this morning to see how my new fav fish was doing in the qt and found him dead.

See the pics and help me diagnose the issue

1657de038fefd9f188e1dbbffb8e50d6.jpg

58d0a157c157ff463b9bd730b88b6842.jpg

be7664abaa30a6a48fe7e878876fa25a.jpg

It had the red marks on both sides

So frustrated and disappointed

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The qt has been up and running for months now with a very small Niger Trigger who's been there for a couple of months now and nothing wrong with him. Sad

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uronema maybe?

That's the only thing I can find online close to what it looks like. I'm going to treat the qt tank now with Metroplex. The Niger Trigge is doing fine and eating, curious how the trigger isn't affected.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the only thing I can find online close to what it looks like. I'm going to treat the qt tank now with Metroplex. The Niger Trigge is doing fine and eating, curious how the trigger isn't affected.
A simple little scratch to being max stressed can be causes that are unseen.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm, when you brought the fish home from the store the fish had the internal injuries? If that is the case, then that is what the fish passed from. The fish is pretty beat up.

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to confirm, when you brought the fish home from the store the fish had the internal injuries? If that is the case, then that is what the fish passed from. The fish is pretty beat up.

sure, the fish was ordered online and delivered to my house in Miami at about 10am est. I came back home from work and the fish was packaged very well and I inspected the fish throughly looked PERFECT! I floated the bag for temp acclimation then drip acclimated him with airstone and heater for about an hour.

I scooped him up in a container so I wouldn't use a net or hand and popped him in the qt. I observed him for a while and I still didn't see any injuries externally. I thawed out some hikari mysis soaked in selcon and he ate like a champ. I gave him another small feeding before turning off the room lights and again ate very well with even more vigor. I went to sleep with a smile.

I am literally in shock on how fast this fish looked when I woke up this morning.

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like uronema. Fast killer. Treatment is usually formalin dips.

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like uronema. Fast killer. Treatment is usually formalin dips.

I was reading Humblefish's sticky on urenoma and it says its a free swimming parasite that doesn't need a host to survive in the tank.

What should I do to eliminate the parasite now from the qt?

I appreciate everyone's input and help

By the way I want to make it clear that Michael at @NYAquatic has been very helpful and very nice to deal with on this transcation. He responsed to all my emails and he even held the fish for me while I was at MACNA. I by no means am I trying to say or insinuate that the infection, parasite or whatever it was that killed this gorgeous fish came from his system. I will order from him again once I have the qt free of any nasty's.

leemosh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought from NYAquatics before and the fish come in pretty nicely, but they do come in quite low salinity water (~1.019). Since your QT was set up for a long time it's probably at the 1.025 mark. Is it possible that you increased the salinity for the fish too fast? I've seen similar "sores" on fish that I've done that to (when I was even more of a noob than I am now).

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you let Nyaquatics know this yet?

I did first thing in the morning. Michael said that he also found it to be very wierd that it died overnight like it did. He said he was 99% sure it was something in my qt system that killed it.

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've bought from NYAquatics before and the fish come in pretty nicely, but they do come in quite low salinity water (~1.019). Since your QT was set up for a long time it's probably at the 1.025 mark. Is it possible that you increased the salinity for the fish too fast? I've seen similar "sores" on fish that I've done that to (when I was even more of a noob than I am now).

Yea I asked him via email on his systems parameters and he runs his at 1.017 so I drip acclimated him for about an hour. Should I have done it for a longer period of time?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back