Worm like things on Chalice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brah02
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Brah02

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2025
Messages
408
Reaction score
203
Location
Oregon
What state or country do you live in
Oregon
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a chalice that randomly started dying, so I dipped it in some iodine. Then after about 30 minutes these worm like things started coming out. Is this a concern? Do they kill coral and if so do I keep the chalice out of the tank? If it was infected I’m sure others are as well, is there something I should do in the tank? No significant water parameter changes at all tank is pretty steady.
20260404_135301_E8FCC9F8-8B3A-44F6-B353-C096D53D2BCF.png


20260404_135301_94CB4FF6-78F1-4930-8A76-EAD44EB84300.png
 
I have a chalice that randomly started dying, so I dipped it in some iodine. Then after about 30 minutes these worm like things started coming out. Is this a concern? Do they kill coral and if so do I keep the chalice out of the tank? If it was infected I’m sure others are as well, is there something I should do in the tank? No significant water parameter changes at all tank is pretty steady.
20260404_135301_E8FCC9F8-8B3A-44F6-B353-C096D53D2BCF.png


20260404_135301_94CB4FF6-78F1-4930-8A76-EAD44EB84300.png
Those look like mesenterial filaments to me which are often released as a stress response or feeding response. In this case, it was probably the iodine dip. What are your parameters? Any tank mates that could be picking at it, or nearby corals that could be stinging it?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 18.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 50 34.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new