Wormwood Treatment for AEFW

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a week is good but I have not ever seen polyps stay retracted all day from it, maybe it will improve once they have been gone for a few months. I ended up enjoying basting once it started proving the worms were going down in numbers.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad new yesterday. I have been dosing alittle bit over 1ml per 10 gallons for 5 1/2 months now. I found 4 worms last night and several grouping of eggs on the bottom of a frag plug that didnt have any worms on it. Talking about disappointment. I bumped up my dosing amount to 2ml per 10 gallons after finding the worms. My plans are to start dipping the frags in the frag tank weekly and basting display tank more often along with the added dosing amounts. Here is one weird observation since double dosing overnight. I was looking over the frag tank and there were 3 worms on the side glass of the tank. with all the corals to eat on in the tank the worms were on the glass. Hopeful the double dose had the worms so irritated they left the corals. My p/e did seem less today but I have been having issues with that for awhile now anyways. I still have great color and decent growth. Might need to up the recommended dosage amount.

Da8

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got tritob results and found copper at 2,23.

Actually dosing FS at double dose.

Don't think it is the cause. But I can't be sure...no worms at this point for a long time.

Or at least mark, bites or visible eggs.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I set up automatic dosing of 4.5ml daily ( 1.5ml dispensed every 8 hours) in my reefer 350, which is roughly 80 gallons. Already lost a few grand of acropora, so it can’t hurt...

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bad new yesterday. I have been dosing alittle bit over 1ml per 10 gallons for 5 1/2 months now. I found 4 worms last night and several grouping of eggs on the bottom of a frag plug that didnt have any worms on it. Talking about disappointment. I bumped up my dosing amount to 2ml per 10 gallons after finding the worms. My plans are to start dipping the frags in the frag tank weekly and basting display tank more often along with the added dosing amounts. Here is one weird observation since double dosing overnight. I was looking over the frag tank and there were 3 worms on the side glass of the tank. with all the corals to eat on in the tank the worms were on the glass. Hopeful the double dose had the worms so irritated they left the corals. My p/e did seem less today but I have been having issues with that for awhile now anyways. I still have great color and decent growth. Might need to up the recommended dosage amount.

Don’t get discouraged. At this stage if the eggs hatch the worms probably won’t live long. The worms on the glass is a good sign I would say. Defiantly no reason for them to be there unless they are stressed. Were you dosing double the recommendation? I don’t remember what it was right now sorry.
Some tanks might take a little longer than others too so just keep going and maybe baste more often if your worried.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t get discouraged. At this stage if the eggs hatch the worms probably won’t live long. The worms on the glass is a good sign I would say. Defiantly no reason for them to be there unless they are stressed. Were you dosing double the recommendation? I don’t remember what it was right now sorry.
Some tanks might take a little longer than others too so just keep going and maybe baste more often if your worried.
I went from roughly 36 ml per day to 70 ml per day. My system volume is roughly 350 gallons so it is a dosage of about 2 ml per 10 gallons. Original recommended dosage was for 1 ml per 10 gallons. I am doing my best at not having to tear down my display tank. My pinky the bear is probably 6in by 10in. would totally wreck it trying to remove it for weekly dipping. I will increase my basting to twice a week and will do my 4th dipping of corals in the frag tank. I havent been seeing any worms after dipping the corals in the frag system. The increased dosage of wormwood seems to have effected the corals. I have very little p/e and several of them have paled in coloration. They look stressed but not to the point of loosing them. I will stay the course for now, Im too far into it not to. thanks for the support

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went from roughly 36 ml per day to 70 ml per day. My system volume is roughly 350 gallons so it is a dosage of about 2 ml per 10 gallons. Original recommended dosage was for 1 ml per 10 gallons. I am doing my best at not having to tear down my display tank. My pinky the bear is probably 6in by 10in. would totally wreck it trying to remove it for weekly dipping. I will increase my basting to twice a week and will do my 4th dipping of corals in the frag tank. I havent been seeing any worms after dipping the corals in the frag system. The increased dosage of wormwood seems to have effected the corals. I have very little p/e and several of them have paled in coloration. They look stressed but not to the point of loosing them. I will stay the course for now, Im too far into it not to. thanks for the support

how large of a rock is it mounted to? Any chance you could dip the whole rock it is on?

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how large of a rock is it mounted to? Any chance you could dip the whole rock it is on?

If the wormwood doesnt work I will be pulling all my acros with their rocks into a holding tank and then I will be dipping corals rock and all. It just means pretty much dismantling my display tank to do so thus my apprehension to do so. I will give the double dosage for several months before I go to that extremes.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the wormwood doesnt work I will be pulling all my acros with their rocks into a holding tank and then I will be dipping corals rock and all. It just means pretty much dismantling my display tank to do so thus my apprehension to do so. I will give the double dosage for several months before I go to that extremes.

Do you think the wormwood is causing the acros to pale for sure or could it be something else?

For those of you using the wormwood are you noticing increased slime on the acros, faster healing or anything else similar to the flat worm stop benefits? I hope no one else is getting pale acros from it.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you guys seeing pale corals from something else or do you really think it’s the wormwood? I haven’t tried wormwood but jda might be more help. I don’t remember him experiencing paleness but maybe he can chime in.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think paleness would be due to the wormwood, I think that is associated with running a zeo system, not just flatworm stop.

vanpire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using wormwood. Two months in and I don’t see any eggs or worms. Corals all seem fine. Dose 1ml per 10 gallon once a day.

Will continue as long as corals for a while since wormwood is pretty cheap and it is nearly effortless with a doser.

I am a little worried that a few worms might be getting used to it as one poster had eggs again after 4 months. So will likely up the dose to 1.5ml and see what happens.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three or four weeks? It’s set up on a doser now, dosing every 8 hours.
I wouldnt worry about seeing worms and eggs after just a month. You are just getting started. Keep basting the corals and scraping off any eggs that you are finding along with the wormwood
I have several corals that have paled and have lost a lot of my p/e on most of the corals. Not sure if it is a direct effect from the wormwood but did seem to get worst after going with the double dose.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back