Wormwood Treatment for AEFW

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a couple pics. One is of my homewrecker and the other is a wild coral I have had for years that looks normally like a picacho. both are faded out and have very little if any p/e. I dont think they are stressed out enough for them to rtn or stn but they are not happy at all.

fade1.jpg fade2.jpg

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the pale corals is referring to a couple pieces not the whole tank. I would guess that if wormwood was causing paleness in corals most of not all corals would be affected. Have you checked those pale corals to see if the aefw are maybe causing it?

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the pale corals is referring to a couple pieces not the whole tank. I would guess that if wormwood was causing paleness in corals most of not all corals would be affected. Have you checked those pale corals to see if the aefw are maybe causing it?
It is random with what corals are faded but my p/e has been affected with pretty much the whole tank. I havent seen any worms for several weeks. I have never found any worms on the coral that has been most affected.

nicsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy new year! Wish you all an awesome year and reef and a win against these nasty critters!

I'm now 3 months in, still religiously dosing and basting and I haven't seen a worm in over a month. I have upped the dose slightly to 25ml in 200gallon as the dosing bottle measures up to that amount and I figured why not as it's clearly not harming my tank and oldnsalty's relapse has me a little wary of under dosing despite my lack of worms.

All corals look great with some of the best colouration I've had, apart from the odd specimen struggling with some instability of Alkalinity and nutrient levels following the switch from Triton/Refugium to Biopellets/Triton "Other Methods" along with the increased uptake since my corals are thriving again.

Interestingly, I did lose a few frags in my attached Frag tank and found them infested with AEFW, in (I think it was) late November. That part of my system doesn't get much attention when I'm busy so had gone unchecked for some time. With the progress of the display tank though, this did get me wondering if being on the wrong side of the filter socks from where the wormwood is dosed was limiting it's effect in the Frag tank.

However, I had a thorough trawl through the frag tank and dipped frags, squashed eggs (and had a proper spring clean) and I haven't seen any further sign of worms anywhere so I guess it could've just been their last hurrah. Fingers crossed!

Nic

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have to admit my stupidity. The paleness that I have been posting about was being caused by my lighting. I have 3 diy led lights that each had a string of 12 leds out. Each string was my violet/uv strings. So actually the only effect of doubling the dosage has been with reduced p/e. I havent found any worms for probably 3 weeks to a month now!!

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been 2 months of double dosage. I havent seen any worms since around week one of double dose. I dipped all the frags in my frag tank weekly for 7 weeks. Basted the colonies in my display once to twice a week. I have now cut my dosage amount to the normal amount of 1ml per 10 gallon per day. I am preparing a large water change of about 40%. Im still experiencing some loss of color in certain corals. My sc op is really faded pretty bad which concerns me. It is faded in both the display and frag system. I am considering calling this a success and stopping the treatment but continue with weekly basting. I believe it has been 8 months of treatment.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some frags die for unknown reasons. I then got suspicious and low and behold.....AEFW. I used a baster to confirm, they came flying off a softball sized colony of A. Valida. After freaking out and wanting to move out of my house, I calmed down and did some research. I started using Purge because that's the first thread that pops up on AEFW. I then dug deeper and found this. I ordered KZ flatworm stop last week and I'm about 5 days in with a double dose. Most likely I will need to get the 1 litre size to complete the treatment on my 55 Gallon. It's about the only time I'm glad I don't have a monster tank. I only dosed Purge once and will not dose that any more. I'll update this thread with my results.

2Wheelsonly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some frags die for unknown reasons. I then got suspicious and low and behold.....AEFW. I used a baster to confirm, they came flying off a softball sized colony of A. Valida. After freaking out and wanting to move out of my house, I calmed down and did some research. I started using Purge because that's the first thread that pops up on AEFW. I then dug deeper and found this. I ordered KZ flatworm stop last week and I'm about 5 days in with a double dose. Most likely I will need to get the 1 litre size to complete the treatment on my 55 Gallon. It's about the only time I'm glad I don't have a monster tank. I only dosed Purge once and will not dose that any more. I'll update this thread with my results.

I think flatworm stop is a proven winner. It took about five months for me, based on my tank size I use almost 1000ml per month for a double dose which is roughly $145 per month. A very expensive product when dealing with large tanks. I noticed corals start healing in the first week, the population slowly declined and I blasted my tank with a one time double dose of purge which seemed to annihilate anything left. I assumed more eggs would hatch but I wanted to kill the current population for all my corals to gain ground but it’s been since October and I have not seen any through basting every other day. No bite marks and my most badly eaten corals that I thought were goners are starting to grow again.

I feel like purge and flatworm stop make a good one two combo. I’m going to continue fws for 6 months to be sure.

in the future I may try wormwood as a cost effective approach. In my opinion, this thread and JDA’s other fws thread don’t get enough love. Lots of good information.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea we have been looking for an in tank treatment for so long. Everyone saying the person who finds the solution would hit reefing gold. It seems not a lot of people believe this long treatment plan works. Not sure if fws being introduced in the beginning, and having trouble with the single dose and people saying it doesn’t work, has anything to do with it?

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we should be pushing people to use the wormwood to treat so we can get more accounts of success documented. I got a frag last night that had a worm on it and thought about adding it to the tank just to try the wormwood haha... I think I am still going to try it to see how it affects my corals.

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we should be pushing people to use the wormwood to treat so we can get more accounts of success documented. I got a frag last night that had a worm on it and thought about adding it to the tank just to try the wormwood haha... I think I am still going to try it to see how it affects my corals.
I'll be happy to add my experiences here as I'm JUST getting started. I had to do some digging to find this thread and I only found it with diligence. Taking corals out to dip to kill the adults doesn't make much sense especially if they're large and encrusted as others have said. I just had a knee surgery so I wasn't prepared to do that level of work anyway. So I'm forced into going this route instead of the pull and dip. I've lost some really cool BC frags and others were on their way out so I'm hopeful this will help. I'm dosing 6 ML of FWS daily, with about 4 ML of KZ Coral booster every other day.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its been 2 months of double dosage. I havent seen any worms since around week one of double dose. I dipped all the frags in my frag tank weekly for 7 weeks. Basted the colonies in my display once to twice a week. I have now cut my dosage amount to the normal amount of 1ml per 10 gallon per day. I am preparing a large water change of about 40%. Im still experiencing some loss of color in certain corals. My sc op is really faded pretty bad which concerns me. It is faded in both the display and frag system. I am considering calling this a success and stopping the treatment but continue with weekly basting.
I stopped wormwood for about a week and decided to start it back up at 1.5 the recommended dosage. I thought I would baste the corals tonight and got bad results. I found one small worm come off my homewrecker. I broke the coral off the rock and dipped it and found another small worm. Both worms were only 1/16-1/8th inch. I also removed my orange passion and dipped and found nothing. I havent found a larger worm for 3 weeks to a month so they were apparently still laying eggs. Its been 7 months of treatment of which 2 1/2 months of double dosage and still finding worms. I might have to pursue another treatment plan.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stopped wormwood for about a week and decided to start it back up at 1.5 the recommended dosage. I thought I would baste the corals tonight and got bad results. I found one small worm come off my homewrecker. I broke the coral off the rock and dipped it and found another small worm. Both worms were only 1/16-1/8th inch. I also removed my orange passion and dipped and found nothing. I havent found a larger worm for 3 weeks to a month so they were apparently still laying eggs. Its been 7 months of treatment of which 2 1/2 months of double dosage and still finding worms. I might have to pursue another treatment plan.
Ty for the update

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Did you start with the amount jda recommended and then go to a double dose of his recommended wormwood dosage? Either way, least it’s been keeping the population down to small numbers though. I wonder how much the week you skipped with no dosing affected the treatment? All I know is if you give these worms an inch they will take a mile. Maybe this let them get strong enough to start laying healthy eggs again.

sevitz5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing FWS for about a week at the recommended 1ml/10gal) dose. My system is about 240 total gallon, so I’m definitely interested in the wormwood solution.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you start with the amount jda recommended and then go to a double dose of his recommended wormwood dosage? Either way, least it’s been keeping the population down to small numbers though. I wonder how much the week you skipped with no dosing affected the treatment? All I know is if you give these worms an inch they will take a mile. Maybe this let them get strong enough to start laying healthy eggs again.

I used @jda's recommended amount of 1ml per 10 gallon for the first 5 months. After finding a worm and eggs I started with 2ml per 10 gallon. I double dosed for 8 weeks, stopped for 1 week and started back up this past week only to find 2 worms last night. I doubt that missing one week would have done much of anything in the way of the 2 live worms. during the treatment I dipped my corals that are in the frag tank for a six week period and believe the worms are gone from there but remained in the display due to not dipping. I will be tearing down and moving all corals to the frag tank and dip everything along with the rocks they are encrusted on 5-6 weeks. I have fought these things off and on for several years and I am sick of it. I will be using coral rx. I have used bayer before and some leached back into my system and killed all my shrimp. I wont take that chance again.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can also drop the temperature, i posted an article that showed doing this will help drop their cycle and you can kill them withing a month if i remember.r

Skibum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used @jda's recommended amount of 1ml per 10 gallon for the first 5 months. After finding a worm and eggs I started with 2ml per 10 gallon. I double dosed for 8 weeks, stopped for 1 week and started back up this past week only to find 2 worms last night. I doubt that missing one week would have done much of anything in the way of the 2 live worms. during the treatment I dipped my corals that are in the frag tank for a six week period and believe the worms are gone from there but remained in the display due to not dipping. I will be tearing down and moving all corals to the frag tank and dip everything along with the rocks they are encrusted on 5-6 weeks. I have fought these things off and on for several years and I am sick of it. I will be using coral rx. I have used bayer before and some leached back into my system and killed all my shrimp. I wont take that chance again.
Were you using FWS or wormwood? I'm curious if there is a difference. Sorry about your results, that's really disappointing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 53 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.0%
Back