Wormwood Treatment for AEFW

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
about a week in currently. Will update as the process continues. I am also dipping weekly to try and get ahead of the life cycle. Way less aefw after dip number 3 in week 3.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea week three is crucial and I remember messing up a long time ago and having to dip for 8 weeks straight! What a pain, but the dipping from the tank worked :)

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have issues with their calcium when dosing? My corals are fine but I’ve never had issues with low calcium until I started dosing wormwood.

PGT253

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone experienced with increased Iodine level when dosing Flatworm Stop? Mine went from 60ug/l to 240 ug/l after 1 month dosing. Also, would running activated carbon 24/7 on a water-change free tank affect the potency/effectiveness of Flatworm Stop? I no longer see the worms nor bite marks but I still see eggs on one infected coral. I still have about 3 months worth of dosing left

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I saw increased iodine in my ICP test while dosing FWS.

1573142706832.png

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, others have noticed increased iodine. ...probably make your shrimp happy. :)

Eggs that do not hatch can stick around and look normal for a while. Destroy those things with a tooth brush if you can and see if any more come back. They are soft.

KJoFan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if something like this would also work? Perhaps
it's more cost prohibitive though depending on dosage:

nicsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello again. Good to catch up on the thread.

So, I'm 5ish weeks in and I'm pretty dang happy! I've kept up my routine of dosing and basting twice daily and I haven't seen a worm in my display in about 2 weeks!!!

The solids in mine had completely settled so I poured the liquid off into a dosing bottle and it looks a lot more pleasant now
20191003_194206.jpg
20191004_124159.jpg
20191112_022415.jpg
:p

My corals are a bit miffed as I messed around with my refugium and my nitrates and phosphates ended up rocketing but they're coming back down now and everythings cheering up.

I did an icp test to be safe and the only changes it found were slightly elevated iron and aluminium and very high silicon (I was a bit lazy with the di resin a while back so that could account for the silicate?). I'm hoping that the rowaphos I've added for the phosphate will fix the Al and Si to.

Despite this my worst eaten colonies have largely recovered and I see no obvious signs of worms.. so I am cautiously optimistic. It can't be this good else everyone would be using it already but I guess the dosing coupled with the regular, rigorous basting is doing the trick.

Hell, even if it doesn't eradicate them, I guess I could carry this on indefinitely and at least keep them at bay. It'll be hard not to stop early and see if they return at this rate, but I guess I'll not risk it.

Cheers,
Nic

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although most of this lacks of any real control of a true scientific procedure, if you continue for the 6 months, they should be eradicated. There is starting to be enough people who are having success to suggest that the original hypothesis was right... just takes time and patience, but the stuff works.

I would not stop early.

The patient zero tank is still AEFW free when I was over there a a month again.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about using this for general health instead of treating AEFW? Any long term observations?

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I was not in front of the patient zero tank very often... just visits. When I dosed/tested my tank with the wormwood, I noticed nothing... positive or negative.

There are people who swear that the KZ product are liquid gold (the Coral Booster and the Flatworm Stop). I feel that this is along the same vein as the people who swear by AcroPower, and the like. In the past these were DTs, CoralSnow, Essential Elements, etc. I personally have never seen any indication that any of them do anything. Others disagree.

Put me down for "probably not," but I am not usually one to take to these types of things, so PLEASE take this for what it is worth... which is not much.

The real test it to use it, see results, then stop and see the results fade. For me, I have no way to know how to factor out the noise and to tell if there is any other benefits, but I would like to hear what other people think.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 months into my treatment using wormwood. I make mine with 1/4 cup of powder and remove the solids before dosing. I did a water change on Friday and blew off my corals in both my display and frag tank. I found one smaller worm maybe 1/4in long in my display and didnt find any in my frag system. I was hoping to not find any at this point. My corals have reduced p/e but not sure if that is from the wormwood or something else going on in my system. My colors are as good as ever. Still having hopes for total destruction of all the worms.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about using this for general health instead of treating AEFW? Any long term observations?

You know I was thinking about trying wormwood just to see if it helps boost the corals at all but I haven’t yet. When I used fws to treat aefw I noticed the acros flesh seemed a little thicker and they were a bit more slimy than they had been since the start. Once I stopped that went back to normal so I had always wondered if anyone trusty thought the same thing. I wasn’t using anything other products that would contribute to this either. I think that’s the problem is most people using fws are using some other products that are supposed to boost the coral and there is no way to tell what’s doing what.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep going! Thanks for updating is and I hope at six months you won’t find any worms. How often are you basting the corals?
I would say I am basting my corals maybe once a week. I basted last weeek and didnt find any worms. I hate basting, my corals are retracted for most of the evening after doing so.
Jeff

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back