Wormwood Treatment for AEFW

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe I ran fws for 8 months maybe? I stopped seeing worms in the tank when I basted after about 2-3 months. I imagine there were some tiny ones I was not seeing when I basted after that so I just kept it going. I basted often the whole time. This was a while ago so I am just guessing the time frames. I would have to check the original thread to see the actual dates. My memory is not that good.

Last edited:

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update on my treatment after about 3 months. I use 1/4 cup of powder to 2 quarts of water. I filter the solids out since I am dosing 3ml 12 times a day and have no way to keep it all stirred up. I am still running my skimmer and peform my regular weekly water changes. This past week I did see one worm in my display tank blow off what seems to be their favorite coral. It was about 1/4 in in size. I like to smash these guys when I find them and I noticed it smashed almost like it was total mush. Ive never noticed that before with other worms. Seemed as if there wasnt much body structure to it. I dipped all the frags in my frag system about 2 weeks ago and came up with NO worms. So far I am happy with the treatment and will run out at least the full 6 months.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
update on my treatment after about 3 months. I use 1/4 cup of powder to 2 quarts of water. I filter the solids out since I am dosing 3ml 12 times a day and have no way to keep it all stirred up. I am still running my skimmer and peform my regular weekly water changes. This past week I did see one worm in my display tank blow off what seems to be their favorite coral. It was about 1/4 in in size. I like to smash these guys when I find them and I noticed it smashed almost like it was total mush. Ive never noticed that before with other worms. Seemed as if there wasnt much body structure to it. I dipped all the frags in my frag system about 2 weeks ago and came up with NO worms. So far I am happy with the treatment and will run out at least the full 6 months.

Are you guys running this on the doser? Do you think the potency is weaker by draining out the solids?

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind, that the 6 month treatment that I helped with was with the KZ product, not the wormwood mixture. We did dose the mixture and saw no harm, so we did it for a while. I dosed my tanks too with no ill effects.

As cheap as the home made wormwood mixture is, why not dose it for longer? We only quit the KZ becuase this tank was LARGE and while the dude could afford it, he was not rich... this was also when it was a bit cheaper to import than it is now. If/when he gets them again (he will trade again eventually), then we will be moving to the homemade wormwood mixture.

I would run it longer just to be sure.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be doing my second dip of all acros today during water change. I have been dosing for 4 days. I am in hopes that I have wayyyy less this go around. I’m hoping to see continual decrease of number of flatworms every dip.

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be doing my second dip of all acros today during water change. I have been dosing for 4 days. I am in hopes that I have wayyyy less this go around. I’m hoping to see continual decrease of number of flatworms every dip.
If you are able to dip your corals you should easily beat them. My colonies are too big to remove from my tank to dip so I have no choice then to treat the whole tank unless I want to tear down the tank. With the purge treatment the solids made a total wreck of the tank for the entire month of treatment. Maybe the solids will cause the coral to slime over more which would inhibit the worm from getting to the corals flesh. I think the solids would just be skimmed out anyways. Yes I am using a doser to add my wormwood. No mess no fuss.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are able to dip your corals you should easily beat them. My colonies are too big to remove from my tank to dip so I have no choice then to treat the whole tank unless I want to tear down the tank. With the purge treatment the solids made a total wreck of the tank for the entire month of treatment. Maybe the solids will cause the coral to slime over more which would inhibit the worm from getting to the corals flesh. I think the solids would just be skimmed out anyways. Yes I am using a doser to add my wormwood. No mess no fuss.

thanks for your feedback. I am currently manually dosing and using only the liquid shaken up before use as solids sit on bottom. I got about half the amount of fw from this second dip so looking positive that I’m starting to make a dent in the population.Thanks for your response.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cliff717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is the wormwood I got From Amazon it looks a bit chunky so I put it in the wife’s food processor and puréed it a bit. It’s far better. Far more powdery. So I put a quarter of a cup in 2 liters of water it looks great i’m going to let it sit tonight and then dose it tomorrow

C0E621B4-192A-40AE-AAC4-9D444D5EB69F.jpeg 9AC68A20-8BEE-417C-AA50-83003C13CB15.jpeg 6AAEBC1C-1DCF-451B-B2EB-88B083E08244.jpeg 419DDC74-C705-4398-AF40-134B68E48AE8.jpeg

ZAB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only 2 weeks in but have been dosing at 1ml/10gallon/day of unfiltered wormwood solution (avoiding dosing the heavy sediment), with no apparent ill effect, except for the obvious irritation to my urchins when dosed too close to them. They otherwise seem fine and show no sign of irritation when dosed away from them.

Clams, anemones, sponges and other filter feeders (and sadly the red planaria) all seem to be unaffected at this time and corals are looking good but I somewhat doubt that it's wormwood in FWS that does all the other KZ magic.

That wormwood leaf looks fine. It's just not ground as finely. There is one thing that keeps bugging me though, dosing this into a closed system.. has anyone seen the thing about how little oregano is actually in a lot of commercially available products? And that's a common, mass produced herb.. Just a thought..

Anyway, here's a link to the thread Jose mentions as it's a good way down the search results already:

Shame I can't dip my whole reef..

Nic x
I take oil of wild organo oil it is an anti fungal.. maybe we are on to something..l have never tried or thought about how it would affect afw along with wormwood???????

OP
OP
jda

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am certain that there are more things in the Flatworm Stop than just wormwood. I have no idea what they are and KZ has every right to keep their recipe a secret... only testing and use will tell. Use it and document it and see. One of the other ingredients might be iodine, but unsure if it is iodate, iodide or elemental/lugols.

nicsound

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Glad to have more peeps testing/documenting.

My skimmer runs 24/7. I only run carbon occasionally and have not done so since starting treatment. No water changes but will do an icp test soon to make sure I am not inadvertently dosing any nasties, so that may change..

@oldnsalty it's great to hear your apparent progress! Sounding good. Gives me hope.

The solution has been soaking for about 3 weeks now and smells pretty potent. I haven't been shaking prior to dosing so think I might as well filter off the solids. Thoughts?

Might have to dig out my old marinecolor doser although dosing 10ml of the mix and basting, morning and evening has become quite a satisfying ritual.

As far as results, I keep thinking it's improving and then I'll blow off dozens in a session but it's still very early days I guess. Thankfully my biggest Alleni Damsel has discovered a deep love of basted flatworm and fervently vacuums them all up :D

Good luck all. Will keep you posted,
Nic

oldnsalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent! Glad to have more peeps testing/documenting.

My skimmer runs 24/7. I only run carbon occasionally and have not done so since starting treatment. No water changes but will do an icp test soon to make sure I am not inadvertently dosing any nasties, so that may change..

@oldnsalty it's great to hear your apparent progress! Sounding good. Gives me hope.

The solution has been soaking for about 3 weeks now and smells pretty potent. I haven't been shaking prior to dosing so think I might as well filter off the solids. Thoughts?

Might have to dig out my old marinecolor doser although dosing 10ml of the mix and basting, morning and evening has become quite a satisfying ritual.

As far as results, I keep thinking it's improving and then I'll blow off dozens in a session but it's still very early days I guess. Thankfully my biggest Alleni Damsel has discovered a deep love of basted flatworm and fervently vacuums them all up :D

Good luck all. Will keep you posted,
Nic
How long have you been dosing? If only 3 weeks I wouldnt be expecting a lot of visible changes yet. Like @jda mentioned this will take some time. I am at 3 months with my treatment and have only found one worm in the last several weeks. Not sure if I was imagining things but when I caught it and smashed it it seemed that the cell structure of it was very soft, smashed like mush. From what I have found this and the kz product seem to be the only in tank treatments that show promise. Good luck and keep the course.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s how I knew mine was working, the worm or two I would find a couple months in were very slow moving and mashed under my finger like butter. I am so glad people are finally taking to this treatment process. I have to admit I was very weary of the flatworm stop when it came out but that’s just the way they marketed it and with all the people trying it for a short period and not seeing anything, then saying it’s snake oil, the product really didn’t take off like it should have. They really should have pushed this product a little Differently.
Anyone who is trying fws or the wormwood please share your results!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back