Worried about Palytoxins

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry. The issue is more if they are being ripped up.

Those are nuclear greens, almost certain. Those are the ones that sent me to the hospital.

As long as your hands are just in the water, no issue really. It is actually touching the paly itself that is the problem.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are nuclear greens, almost certain. Those are the ones that sent me to the hospital.

As long as your hands are just in the water, no issue really. It is actually touching the paly itself that is the problem.

I figure only the maitenance people would be in the tank with their hands. OP could sell that rock though or swap it out if that eases their mind

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel better, despite decades of reefing there's not a single documented death related to palytoxin in the hobby. The only for sure exposures that were serious were caused by people boiling rock with palys on it and inhaling the fumes. Most of the palytoxin poisoning stories you hear on the internet read more like nasty infections than palytoxin poisoning.

SBerry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! Good to get some advice from people in the know, there's a lot of conflicting info around on aquarium pages and random websites talking about it.

It seems it should be ok to leave as is. I will have a chat to our aquarium service people about their procedures, but I don't think we need to remove them entirely from the tank.

Again, thanks for your time in replying.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for the replies everyone! Good to get some advice from people in the know, there's a lot of conflicting info around on aquarium pages and random websites talking about it.

It seems it should be ok to leave as is. I will have a chat to our aquarium service people about their procedures, but I don't think we need to remove them entirely from the tank.

Again, thanks for your time in replying.

Just keep in mind Nuclear greens grow at an alarming rate, they will crowd out just about any species and if you do decide to get rid of them you have to be extremely diligent.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it makes you feel better, despite decades of reefing there's not a single documented death related to palytoxin in the hobby. The only for sure exposures that were serious were caused by people boiling rock with palys on it and inhaling the fumes. Most of the palytoxin poisoning stories you hear on the internet read more like nasty infections than palytoxin poisoning.

Also really creepy and screwed up dreams by a whole group of people collecting them in Florida except for the one person who wore dive gloves.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Excuse me?

I did not boil any rocks and I have documented proof of my 4 member family going to the hospital, and a very sick feline that needed treatment. Just a quick search brought up this guy and I put little effort into a search. I very carefully documented my experience and got a nice fat hospital bill after my recovery.

And this guy documented a very close experience to my own with dry rock, not boiling anything.

a.t.t.r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse me?

I did not boil any rocks and I have documented proof of my 4 member family going to the hospital, and a very sick feline that needed treatment. Just a quick search brought up this guy and I put little effort into a search. I very carefully documented my experience and got a nice fat hospital bill after my recovery.

And this guy documented a very close experience to my own with dry rock, not boiling anything.

Sorry but no.... If the rock was that contaminated imagine the house that it must have come from dude would have died taking the rock out of the tank.
Plus you have 0 evidence that it was palytoxin or any toxin related. palythoa also do not make much toxin. You are more likely to be exposed by Dinos.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry but no.... If the rock was that contaminated imagine the house that it must have come from dude would have died taking the rock out of the tank.
Plus you have 0 evidence that it was palytoxin or any toxin related. palythoa also do not make much toxin. You are more likely to be exposed by Dinos.

That is quite a reach. There is zero doubt in my mind why we ended up in the hospital. I guess all the reports of palytoxin poisonings is just a myth and it was the shrimp salad that just I had at lunch put my entire family in the hospital.

On another note, you are making a claim that this was all my imagination and have yet to put any information toward that claim. I at least did a 2 minute google search with at least some information to support my claim, not to mention I was there you know, getting breathing treatments.

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is quite a reach. There is zero doubt in my mind why we ended up in the hospital. I guess all the reports of palytoxin poisonings is just a myth and it was the shrimp salad that just I had at lunch put my entire family in the hospital.

On another note, you are making a claim that this was all my imagination and have yet to put any information toward that claim. I at least did a 2 minute google search with at least some information to support my claim, not to mention I was there you know, getting breathing treatments.
To be completely fair, he said there were no documented deaths... you didn't die

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely fair, he said there were no documented deaths... you didn't die
Never did. But he did say this...

The only for sure exposures that were serious were caused by people boiling rock with palys on it and inhaling the fumes.

I did not boil any rocks. I do not lightly consider anything remotely probable or fact unless I gather all of the evidence I can find and then take my time coming to a conclusion. There is no doubt in my mind what sent me to the hospital. Arguing with people over the internet is a huge waste of time since you guys already have your minds made up on what happened. One thing will keep happening though, there will be more of these cases over the years and they will likely always remain random and a small percentage of the reefers that it happens to, but it will keep happening.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excuse me?

I should have included the only for sure exposures that I've read about or heard of that were verified by hospital staff were caused by people boiling rock. My goal wasn't to invalidate your experience and I'm sorry it felt that way. My goal was merely to comment that of the millions of people who have handled and grown palys over the years very very very few end up getting ill and of the people who end up ill a lot of the symptoms reported aren't even hallmark symptoms of palytoxin poisoning. I'm glad you made a recovery

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back