Would a red velvet fairy wrasse kill a lawnmower blenny?

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had this blenny for about 6 months. He’s been getting nice and fat eating off the live rock and glass as well as we supplement a sheet of algae a day. He was just fine yesterday and this morning, tonight we come back from dinner and he’s just lying dead on the sand his stomach looking all bloated. We just tested parameters 2 days ago and they were perfect. This red velvet wrasse killed my McCoskers wrasse I know for a fact so just wondering if they have hate for other fish? Also in the tank is a PJ Cardinal, WGoby, red banded c
Goby, clown goby, pair of clowns and a small royal gramma. Any thoughts? This is a FOWLR tank. The LB in our 180G is a cow and we’ve had him over a year. This one dying out of the blue is very surprising especially since I saw him eating just fine yesterday ‍♀️

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone see battle damage or harassment? Usually the fish doesn't die from the first interaction.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope....he has his own little hide out he stays when he's not eating. I've never seen the Red Velvet mess with him so I just don't know what happened. Parameters are absolutely perfect and he eats like a champ. The tank is relatively newer- 8 months but has live rock and live sand....do have cynao growing like new tanks always go through so I'm wondering if he ate some of that but I don't see why he would as it's just on the sand and I only see him eating the algae off the rocks and the strips I put in.

Sunshine3387

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, my Lawnmower blenny died today too. Same thing, just found him laying sideways on the sand with his mouth partially open. He had been zooming the tank munching on algae all day and I had just checked parameters an hour before finding him there. We had him about 6 months as well.

OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know, my Lawnmower blenny died today too. Same thing, just found him laying sideways on the sand with his mouth partially open. He had been zooming the tank munching on algae all day and I had just checked parameters an hour before finding him there. We had him about 6 months as well.

So sorry for your loss as well. It’s the strangest thing. He was thin when we got him and in the 6 months we had him he really packed on some weight and was growing great. Our other one in our reef tank we had about 18 months and he’s huge and happy as a clam...water parameters (at least the ones that matter in a FOWLR tank) are identical to the reef so I just don’t get it. Everyone else is fine and added two butterflies that had been in QT for 4 weeks and they’re doing awesome too. Very strange! :(

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this happen a handful of times. It’s fairly normal unfortunately. They seem to bloat a bit and die, I suspect a bacterial issue of some sort maybe? They are fun to watch though so I keep stocking them in all my systems.

Sunshine3387

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this happen a handful of times. It’s fairly normal unfortunately. They seem to bloat a bit and die, I suspect a bacterial issue of some sort maybe? They are fun to watch though so I keep stocking them in all my systems.
Ours was pretty bloated, maybe that's the case. Seemed to be over the last 2 months he packed on a gut.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my most recent addition. He’s looking pretty good so far. They seem to last longer when I get them pretty small. Sorry for the blue photos, too lazy to walk downstairs to the other tanks to grab a filter...

Attachments

• 011C4BCD-2C81-433D-B4C6-3E8799222E1C.jpeg
    011C4BCD-2C81-433D-B4C6-3E8799222E1C.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 34
  • 0597E4C0-091C-4D7D-AA0A-6E24B7C6A3BE.jpeg
    0597E4C0-091C-4D7D-AA0A-6E24B7C6A3BE.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
TrishK

TrishK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes our guy had a very bloated stomach as well. I’ll order in a new one in the spring. I just love their personalities. Ours in the reef tank lives in a large conch shell and he picks up snails with his mouth and launches them in the sand whenever they climb on his house. It’s so funny to watch.

Woodneers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did y’all see this thread!?
1608779622291.jpeg

Sunshine3387

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did y’all see this thread!?
1608779622291.jpeg
Did not, oh my. What is it with the blennies!?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back