Would a Yellow Watchman Goby be safe with a Flame Hawkfish and Bluethroat Triggers?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering a YWG + shrimp combo (or another Goby of the same genus), but a Bluethroat Trigger and a Flame Hawk are also in my stocking list. Would the goby and shrimp be safe with both fish in the same tank? I know Bluethroats are among (if not the) the most peaceful Triggerfish, but that they can still eat inverts. Same with the Flame Hawkfish, very peaceful in general but I heard they can still be aggressive toward some inverts and other bottom dwelling fish. Also adding a Marine Betta and Yellow Candy Hogfish. So that’s a total of 4 fish I worry will try to hurt the goby. How about adding the Goby without the shrimp?

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unrelated, but would a Yellow Candy Hogfish and a Royal Gramma get along?
Royal gramma has the same problems a goby would with being eaten by the marine beta or triggers. I see no particular reason a hogfish would take issue with the royal gramma, being from very different families and different niches. But hogfish are somewhat notoriously aggressive and could take issue with anything especially fish with similar body shapes or other labrids. Perhaps a royal gramma could get in its crosshairs, but it wouldn’t be my first thought, no real telling with aggressive fish like hogs.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is the tank....this is an important consideration. I have 2 flamehawks, 2 diamond gobies and a blue throat in my 625g and they all get along great and leave inverts alone.

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 180 gallons.

If I want to be on the safe side, should I make a choice between the Hogfish and the Gramma?
I would cut both. Gramma is not a good choice with your predator stocking plans. And hogfish are notoriously aggressive which could cause a headache down the road, unless you have a strong reason to want a hogfish, then there are other labrids which are better choices IMHO.

Flame2hawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a 180 you s/b fine with a flam hawk, bluethroat and watchman goby. The shrimp survival is a toss up. Good luck.

Marsh980

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny enough I have three of those fish in my 200 gallon. The yellow watchman, well I have the sulphur watchman is absolutely fine with my flame hawk fish, male blue throat trigger and marine Betta.

The sulphur watchman went in first and was given time to find his cave and get confident in the tank

The marine Betta nor trigger has attacked or eaten my shrimp/snails. In fact they love a good clean by my skunk cleaner shrimps.

I have a royal gramma too and he’s pretty much alright but can be a little stroppy if my canary wrasse comes to close to his crevice. Strangely he got annoyed when the skunk cleaners entered it but the shrimps won and now hang out outside it haha

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 44.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.3%
Back