Would love some lighting advice

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only ever used my fluvial evil stock light until I inherited a prime 16hd a few months ago on my little tank.
I just picked a sweet used 60-gallon, the cycle is almost finished and I'm ready for some lights.

It's a roughly 24” Marineland 60 cube, I'd prefer to just use one light and have really loved the primes so I am leaning towards the Hydra 32. I'm all about Aqua Illumination just because of how easy my prime has been but I'm open to whatever will work best I am just a bit overwhelmed with the gazillion of lights on the market.

I'm hoping for something with a scheduling app similar to AI if I don't go with the 32, but that's about my only want.

I mainly plan on a mixed reef, mostly softies and LPS but in a few years as I get further down the road would definitely look into some easier SPS.

Any help would be much appreciated!

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 40 cube I am running two AI 26HD's and 2 18" Current USA strips. If you like the AI or mobius app. I would say stick with what you know. You can pick up a couple of used 26HD's for the same price as one 32HD for starters. Or get a 32HD and add some AI blades later. Or a couple of Kessils and some blades for shimmer. You really want something that can fill across the entirety of your tank and eliminate any shadowing. The great thing is you can do this in stages as your budget allows and your tank grows. Others have had great luck with some of the Chinese lights, but I haven’t had any experience with them. I have also yet to see any coral farms use them personally.

OP
OP
Fruity Reefer

Fruity Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 40 cube I am running two AI 26HD's and 2 18" Current USA strips. If you like the AI or mobius app. I would say stick with what you know. You can pick up a couple of used 26HD's for the same price as one 32HD for starters. Or get a 32HD and add some AI blades later. Or a couple of Kessils and some blades for shimmer. You really want something that can fill across the entirety of your tank and eliminate any shadowing. The great thing is you can do this in stages as your budget allows and your tank grows. Others have had great luck with some of the Chinese lights, but I haven’t had any experience with them. I have also yet to see any coral farms use them personally.
Thank ya!

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the idea of more than one light to minimize shadowing (32HD with Blades, etc.)...unless you go with a Hydra 64HD which should cover the cube nicely.

You should get lots of comments about lighting suggestions. Wait for it...wait for it. lol

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you like the AI stuff, then a Hydra 32 is a good choice. If you still have the Prime, you could run the Prime and the Hydra. Eventually if you have a bunch of sticks and you're seeing shadowing, you can add another Hydra or a bar of some sort.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back