Would this dwarf seahorse tank be possible?

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set up a relatively low maintenance setup for dwarf seahorses. I plan on only got 3 dwarf seahorses for a 3 gallon tank stocked with a lot of macroalgae and live rock. I also plan to cultivate a bunch of pods in a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of structures like the "pod hotel" for the pods to hide in. Could I put a pod hotel in the dwarf tank each day? Since there's so few dwarves I think they would be able to find enough food.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to set up a relatively low maintenance setup for dwarf seahorses. I plan on only got 3 dwarf seahorses for a 3 gallon tank stocked with a lot of macroalgae and live rock. I also plan to cultivate a bunch of pods in a 5 gallon bucket with a bunch of structures like the "pod hotel" for the pods to hide in. Could I put a pod hotel in the dwarf tank each day? Since there's so few dwarves I think they would be able to find enough food.
Dwarves eat a lot and are sensitive. They would not fair well in a three gallon. Theres not really a low maintenance seahorse tank. If you want a small tank like that, consider having an RFA garden sexy shrimp tank, although tiny tanks are anything but low maintenance

OP
OP
S

staylor1490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard you should keep dwarves in a small tanks (no more than 10 gallons actually) so they can find food easier. If I keep a low number of dwarves, they won't deplete their food source as fast is my thinking.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes but the overall size is tiny so fluctuations occur rapidly. It would be great to hook it up to a very low flow 10 gallon sump. It is better in a 5-10 gallon (if no sump) but still possible in a 3 gallon just a lot harder. Pods will probably be best to cultivate in a bucket like you are thinking, i havent cultivated pods for dwarf horses though, i know people use bring shrimp as it is very easy for them to see and eat and they are also disease free for the most part

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dwarves eat a lot and are sensitive. They would not fair well in a three gallon. Theres not really a low maintenance seahorse tank. If you want a small tank like that, consider having an RFA garden sexy shrimp tank, although tiny tanks are anything but low maintenance
All great advice, only 1 thing to add. Pico reefs are by far the easiest saltwater aquariums to look after

Separate to SlugSnorters post:
A neon goby or yellow clown goby would work in a 3 gallon, bumblebee shrimp are cool.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back