Would you buy lights early?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have an upgrade planned for next year around June time. I have all my equipment planned and I was planning on buying a 48” photon v2 and an RB xho strip for a total of about $1000. Recently I have came across BRS sale on the Coral Care Gen 2 I would want 2 which would come out to about $1200 but is a savings of about $500 off original price. I’ve always been intrigued by these lights I just could never come around to spending almost $2000 on lights for a 100g tank (48x24x21).

I just wondering if it’s worth buying them now (9 months before build) or should I just wait till it’s time to do the build?

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I have an upgrade planned for next year around June time. I have all my equipment planned and I was planning on buying a 48” photon v2 and an RB xho strip for a total of about $1000. Recently I have came across BRS sale on the Coral Care Gen 2 I would want 2 which would come out to about $1200 but is a savings of about $500 off original price. I’ve always been intrigued by these lights I just could never come around to spending almost $2000 on lights for a 100g tank (48x24x21).

I just wondering if it’s worth buying them now (9 months before build) or should I just wait till it’s time to do the build?
I would wait, warranty usually starts from the day of purchase and who knows if there will be better lights out by then. Supply constraints should be easing up by then and you may even save a few bucks.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree with buying coralcare now. They are built to last and grow “all” coral extremely well. The sale is too good to pass up “if” you have a good mounting solution, they are heavy. If you decide later on a new lighting solution, I’d bet you could recover almost all of the cost by selling them. Jmo

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would buy now. If the price does come down in the future I doubt it will be any where close to the sale price now.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waiting for a Black Friday deal is a great idea.

But I would buy on Black Friday if possible. I made the mistake of getting a trashy light to begin with, and I’m regretting it now. Get quality.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless everyone and their dog has the same idea and they sell out. Catch-22...
Time is something the buyer has with a 9 month lag time before build. There will be other great light sales... Also new light products/reviews could change the decision process and/or prices in the next 9 months. Buyer might even find someone getting out the hobby or upgrading and selling top-of-the-line lights at a great price.

Many different options - but once lights are purchased those options are gone...

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think OP can go wrong with the Coral Care Gen 2.

Agree with the sentiment but the question is do you purchase them 9 months in advance of your build to save some money? Shelling out a lot of money now when something could change in that time period. Maybe those resources could be better used elsewhere, maybe there will be a better sale, or maybe the aquarium build changes? Lot of maybes. Just saying to keep those options open.

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the sentiment but the question is do you purchase them 9 months in advance of your build to save some money? Shelling out a lot of money now when something could change in that time period. Maybe those resources could be better used elsewhere, maybe there will be a better sale, or maybe the aquarium build changes? Lot of maybes. Just saying to keep those options open.
No changes in build as this will be a 5 year tank before we buy our forever house and go into the 3-400 gallon range.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You aren't going to find the Coral Care Gen2 lights for cheaper than they are now. They also have a 2 year warranty on them.

The Black Friday deals are usually 10% at best on lights. This is 40%. There isn't a sale going to happen that even sniffs these prices. There is also nothing coming out in the next 6-9 months that will rival the CC at the current clearance price.

Companies aren't looking to design new stuff right now when they can't even get basic WiFi chips to put in thousands and thousands of fixtures. Worst case scenario is you decide to sell them. Likely for more than what you pay. The CC will still be $800+ next year. They are only cheap on BRS since they are clearing them out.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Invest your precious money into Kazakistan potassium factory and then use the dividends to buy 100 light units!

LuizW13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do you think BRS is clearing out their inventory of these Phillips lights? It's only the black ones too.

Will Smith Reaction GIF

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren't going to find the Coral Care Gen2 lights for cheaper than they are now. They also have a 2 year warranty on them.

The Black Friday deals are usually 10% at best on lights. This is 40%. There isn't a sale going to happen that even sniffs these prices. There is also nothing coming out in the next 6-9 months that will rival the CC at the current clearance price.

Companies aren't looking to design new stuff right now when they can't even get basic WiFi chips to put in thousands and thousands of fixtures. Worst case scenario is you decide to sell them. Likely for more than what you pay. The CC will still be $800+ next year. They are only cheap on BRS since they are clearing them out.

Where are you seeing 40% off? I’m only seeing 15%.

9C22617D-9564-4DBF-95CB-3D4F882D6462.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you seeing 40% off? I’m only seeing 15%.

9C22617D-9564-4DBF-95CB-3D4F882D6462.jpeg
add it to the cart there’s another $130 or so taken off

Back