Would you introduce pulsing xenias and kenya trees to your forever DT ?

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same Kenya trees in my reef for about 15 years. They do spread, but not out of control. And they’re pretty easy to remove when young.

Xenias on the other hand can and will take over your tank. They’re hardy and interesting corals, so if you’re going to put them in just create an island on your sand bed and it should keep them contained.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef2Reef is like the snobby relative at Christmas that comes over and goes "oooooh.....you put a xenia in your tank, it's gonna grow eeeeeevery where and ruin it". SHUT UP. I LIKE IT. IT PULSES.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

Xenia is literally the easiest thing to trim back it's ridiculous. Any softy is, this whole omg it's a pest is old. Get off your butt maintain your tank and it's not a problem.

I agree. I personally love the look of the Xenia as it pulses and sways in the current. A quick trim if it starts to overgrow the space and done.

My opinion on the Kenya Tree is more based on that I just do not find it visually appealing. I love bright colors and variation in my tanks. Kenya Tree IMO does not fit with my vision of what I want my tank to be.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a solid NO for me. I like the look of pulsing Xenia but not worth the effort to keep in under control. Pulsing Anthelia would be a better option IMO (easy to keep and has the same motion without being as invasive).

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just am not personally impressed with Kenya Trees and I have seen tanks overloaded with them... They drop bits and spread everywhere.

Xenia I have always liked and I would have again. Mine got eaten by an urchin a few weeks ago.
I decided to do the xenias on their own island. The rock is easy to remove to trim.

The kenya tree I almost threw out. But kept it in my small frag tank. I like the looks of it but I’ve read it can slow coral growth besides popping up everywhere. So it’s a NO for the kenya tree.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to do the xenias on their own island. The rock is easy to remove to trim.

The kenya tree I almost threw out. But kept it in my small frag tank. I like the looks of it but I’ve read it can slow coral growth besides popping up everywhere. So it’s a NO for the kenya tree.

At the end of the day, this is YOUR tank, not ours. What you do with it depends on what YOU like and feel comfortable having in it.

My opinion is just that... MY opinion. What I prefer may not be what you want. I can only relay my own perspective. As I stated earlier, I simply am not impressed with Kenya Tree coral.

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought Kenya and Xenia look kinda cool together

Attachments

• 27788ED8-6802-46C0-8C23-15F4F1E07B62.jpeg
    27788ED8-6802-46C0-8C23-15F4F1E07B62.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 81

Viva'sReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If your forever tank and you are ok with having a softy forever tank then Yes. If you plan to move into LPS or SPS then 100% No

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some types of Xenia grow on big thick stalks with branches. Easier to control. One of them comes in a nice red variety.

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always, one of my favourites...

Only if i manage to grow them, for some reason, 3 months xenia didnt grow a bit....

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Xenia , yes,,,,, kenyii has brought me regrets. Xenia especially if isolated from neighboring rock will climb up the glass. I have loads of it and stays in one area.
Kenyii as in pic below kept dropping shoots and overtaking my birdsnest and many other corals. I had to keep cutting them until gone.

See entire top and both bottom corners of pic. It was everywhere. Next to my frogspawn, you can see Xenia in one spot
660g 3.30b.jpg

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what kind of tank you are going for... I personally am willing to be careful and add it to my DT. I wouldn't add Kenya's on the other hand.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what kind of tank you are going for... I personally am willing to be careful and add it to my DT. I wouldn't add Kenya's on the other hand.
This is my first real reef tank, so I’m kind of taking it smooth and taking the time to learn.

I like lots of movement so softies and LPS mostly, maybe some SPS down the line, just to try.

brmc1985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you remove them once they’ve started encrusting the rocks ?
Fingernail and scrape them off works for me. I have successfully kept them to only the left side of my display. Haha jk. I’m peeling them off of everywhere but it’s pretty well managed by scraping new starts off the rock and making sure I get it out of the display.

Attachments

• 7A80E346-4FB2-4A71-8C46-A37CF07F6409.jpeg
    7A80E346-4FB2-4A71-8C46-A37CF07F6409.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 72

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us why ?
Had both pretty much take over one of my first saltwater tanks. Xenia can also spread like Kenya. Had Xenia on an isolated rock. The rock was fully covered. Pieces began sprouting up on different rocks, the glass, and even on snail shells.

If I have to constantly work to remove a coral that has little resale value it is not worth it to me.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kind of been back and forth on this. I've had the same kenya strain for around 15 years and through that time there have been times i wish I had not added them. I think those were times I was using popular opinion to sway the fact that I actually like Kenya trees. They can be quite beautiful and give nice vertical structure/movement. Another huge plus is they don't get HUGE. Most of the leathers with similar looks such as sinularia can get WAY to big for anything but the largest tanks, fusing all your rocks together. I had to break down my 50g due to a green sinularia taking the entire thing over.

Kenya trees are punk rock lol

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I liked Kenya trees, I’d consider an isolated section of them. Hard no on the Xenia though. It’s too hard to control in a mature tank and the payoff isn’t worth it IMHO. That said, I will have GSP in most of my tanks (strategically located) as I love the color and movement. It’s easier to isolate too.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back