Would you introduce pulsing xenias and kenya trees to your forever DT ?

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think that if more beginners started tanks with xenia, kenya trees, and mushrooms they would find a lot more immediate success (especially if they use liverock). The fact that many new reefers jump straight to acros and scolys is kinda crazy lol.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both in my current tank. My Kenya just in the past couple weeks started dropping branches and the Xenia I have isolated to an island. In my opinion it makes for a nice filler coral too

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to both like others have said a moment of time spent trimming and it wont spread out of control. The way some people talk gsp and xenia will grow right out of the tank and take over your wallpaper. I like my kenya tree it drops a ton of branches but they take literally seconds to remove.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both and keep them in check, they both just got transferred into a larger system…easily managed….as people talk about softies dropping floaters in the tank zoas do that in my crowded nano as space runs out and start popping up everywhere. It’s funny the corals dubbed as pest, I’ve wire brushed rocks trying to get rid of pandora zoas and they always come back, same with mystic sunset Montipora epoxy over it, peel it off 3 months later and 5 polyps emerge to restart another colony….I’ll take Xenia and Kenya tree over these two corals any day lol

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the same kenya strain for around 15 years and through that time there have been times i wish I had not added them. I think those were times I was using popular opinion to sway the fact that I actually like Kenya trees. They can be quite beautiful and give nice vertical structure/movement.

My Kenya just in the past couple weeks started dropping branches

I like my kenya tree it drops a ton of branches but they take literally seconds to remove.

I have both and keep them in check, they both just got transferred into a larger system…easily managed….

To all of you, my main concern about the Kenya tree is that I have read that it releases toxins that can inhibit other coral growth.

What is your experience about that in your own tanks ?

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To all of you, my main concern about the Kenya tree is that I have read that it releases toxins that can inhibit other coral growth.

Does not seem to hurt my corals. Who knows though.
20211224_142242.jpg
20211224_142236.jpg
20211224_142211.jpg
20200823_171606.jpg

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No issue with zoas or mushrooms they grow right up to the base of the kenya tree. However I have had issues with one LPS, after adding the kenya tree my Cynarina degraded and eventually I lost it. Could be unrelated and I don't run carbon which would be an easy solution to get rid of any chemical warfare. This was the cynarina months before the kenya tree was added, it was doing really well. 2 days after the kenya tree was added it went from that to just a small amount of flesh attached to an exposed skeleton.

Attachments

• 20210219_084120.jpg
    20210219_084120.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 29

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run activated carbon but haven’t had problems, had Kenya tree, Xenia and gargonians in my 40cube with euphyllia and basic sps like poci, caps, digitata,and lps like plates , favia candy canes and Duncan’s nothing crazy but all grow just fine…I believe there is a YouTuber named mile high Reefer and he has a bunch of huge leathers in his tank packed with coralsmight be a good reference

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kenya trees do have a toxin that they can use to slow the growth of other corals, but almost all corals are capable of doing this too. Allelopathy is present in our aquariums, claims that kenya trees are somehow worse (or better, depending on POV) at chemical warfare are based on anecdotal evidence and not actual facts or chemistry.

Last edited:

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No for me. I’m not a fan of softies in general. SPS and mushrooms for me. Looks more like how I feel a “reef” should look. Challenge yourself.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had any issues, however growth does seem slow. I have montipora, a couple Acropora, hammers, torches, button scolys among other softies too and haven’t had an issue. But my Kenya tree is at the top of the rockwork with a powerhead pointed right at it (it’s sitting about 6-8 inches in front of the WAV) so I don’t know if that helps since it’s pushing the water towards my overflow. I don’t run carbon though but run skimmer 24/7

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My kenya tree is in my Evo with a few frags that I bought a month ago and show basically no growth. I’m not running carbon in that tank.

I’ll move them to my DT and see if they improve.

CollectOyster04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those that like the look of Kenya trees, but don't like how fast they can spread, should consider something like the Koji Wada pink nepthea. It has a similar appearance (I personally like the look better), but best of all, doesn't spread like Kenyas. They look best with whiter light(almost the prettiest under a flashlight lol), under deep blues is nothing special.
I put two small frags on a fist sized rock about two years ago. Those two grew into about 4-5 stalks about 5-7" tall. Easily propagated by cutting branches off, but doesn't drop them by itself. Grows in all light intensities and flow. Super easy coral. Can bit a bit more pricey to start, but is well worth it ! One of my favorites.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put two small frags on a fist sized rock about two years ago. Those two grew into about 4-5 stalks about 5-7" tall. Easily propagated by cutting branches off, but doesn't drop them by itself. Grows in all light intensities and flow. Super easy coral.
Do you have pictures ?

Froike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to saltwater and I’ve read that pulsing xenias and kenya trees can spread to the point of being way too much.

Right now I have 3 x pulsing xenias and 1 kenya tree in my 13.5 gallons Evo. The pulsing xenias have started spreading to the rocks. My 75 gallons display tank is currently cycling and I’m wondering if I should transfer the xenias and kenya tree when the time comes, or just leave them live a happy life in the Evo.

I don’t want my tank to be invaded with the same few corals and have little room left for variety. For those with experience, what do you recommend ?
Hi Friend.....Kenya Tree Coral can be Pruned with no problem. Pulsing Xenia can be put on a Sand Island. Eventually, it might spread, but certainly, much slower than if you place it on your Rocks. You can always remove it. You can always make Kenya Frags...but I doubt there are many who will take them. All the best and good luck!

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes they are great , I also prune mine weekly and give to lfs for credit which gives me free corals or big discounts! Just bought a torch for 40$ Down from 100$ due to credit
lucky you i can’t give it away here

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back