Would you risk it?

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went to a LFS for a few things. While I was there, I had a look at their frags. I couldn't help but see a Aiptasia problem in their tank and one of the employees told me to "pay no attention to the bubble algae" while he was treating the tank. I instantly decided that I was using them for dry goods only from now on. My question is would you risk buying livestock from a place like this?

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently went to a LFS for a few things. While I was there, I had a look at their frags. I couldn't help but see a Aiptasia problem in their tank and one of the employees told me to "pay no attention to the bubble algae" while he was treating the tank. I instantly decided that I was using them for dry goods only from now on. My question is would you risk buying livestock from a place like this?
Yes. Glue or epoxy aptasia. Scrape away bubble algea and paint skeleton and plug with hydrogen peroxide. Not much trouble for a nice piece. You'll still end up with aptasia and bubble algea anyway. Lol. Just .

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Although I have, you will risk buying 2 frags as an example at $10 and $15 each, then suddenly shopping for kalkwasser or other pest removal adding time and cost
You Could ask the LFS to remove it prior to purchase

Upvote 0

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still buy but scrub or even better remove the frag plug unless a coral has encrusted over it.
I remember when set my tank up earlier this year at a national lfs ( maidenhead aquatics) i said you got an aiptasia in that tank over there incase you didnt know,manager said yeah i know,so i said you don't remove,she then says to me nope as no point keep removing them as they will always find there way in so not bought anything from them since.
Reason being aiptasia is by many a very well known pest and in every " what pest is this description" so i would thought they wouod least make effort to remove occasionally on wc day or once fortnight or whatever.
But i do also think that majority of lfs ( if not close to all ) has the majority of the common pests,and also fish dieseses as the corals/ fish mainly get imported from abroad from a exporter facility so all sharing system or systems then get shipped out to the relative countries and end up in a importer facility mixing with other corals and fish then go to lfs's then to us,and unless we paying a premium for fully pest free or un-diesesed corals/ fish then its our job to quarantine and watch or treat to make sure.
I know argument is from some that vendors shouldn't sell a coral with a pest or fish with a diesese but at prices we buy them at they couldnt do multiply dips and tank transfers and medicate,so other option is buy only from place that qt and treats everything and gives guarantee pest/ diesese free and pay a higher price so to the op if you think they actually care about their livestock and make effort to eradicate pests or give a valid reason why they dont ( i.e got bergie nudi's in tank or copperband they training to eat) then i would buy.
But if you think they neglect tanks and got attitude of cant be bothered then dont.but you could always try negotiate a discount if see pests in system and say you will or may need do more work to not get the pest yourself or can think wont try negotiate less price as want support local lfs as alot people buy more things online these days than we used to do ^_^

Upvote 0

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still buy but scrub or even better remove the frag plug unless a coral has encrusted over it.
I remember when set my tank up earlier this year at a national lfs ( maidenhead aquatics) i said you got an aiptasia in that tank over there incase you didnt know,manager said yeah i know,so i said you don't remove,she then says to me nope as no point keep removing them as they will always find there way in so not bought anything from them since.
Reason being aiptasia is by many a very well known pest and in every " what pest is this description" so i would thought they wouod least make effort to remove occasionally on wc day or once fortnight or whatever.
But i do also think that majority of lfs ( if not close to all ) has the majority of the common pests,and also fish dieseses as the corals/ fish mainly get imported from abroad from a exporter facility so all sharing system or systems then get shipped out to the relative countries and end up in a importer facility mixing with other corals and fish then go to lfs's then to us,and unless we paying a premium for fully pest free or un-diesesed corals/ fish then its our job to quarantine and watch or treat to make sure.
I know argument is from some that vendors shouldn't sell a coral with a pest or fish with a diesese but at prices we buy them at they couldnt do multiply dips and tank transfers and medicate,so other option is buy only from place that qt and treats everything and gives guarantee pest/ diesese free and pay a higher price so to the op if you think they actually care about their livestock and make effort to eradicate pests or give a valid reason why they dont ( i.e got bergie nudi's in tank or copperband they training to eat) then i would buy.
But if you think they neglect tanks and got attitude of cant be bothered then dont.but you could always try negotiate a discount if see pests in system and say you will or may need do more work to not get the pest yourself or can think wont try negotiate less price as want support local lfs as alot people buy more things online these days than we used to do ^_^as
But if you think they neglect tanks and got attitude of cant be bothered then dont.but you could always try negotiate a discount if see pests in system and say you will or may need do more work to not get the pest yourself or can think wont try negotiate less price as want support local lfs as alot people buy more things online these days than we used to do ^_^
I'm going to add you to friends if that's ok, you mentioned Maidenhead aquatics so you are UK based, I need more UK aquatic suppliers

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dw79

Dw79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for your input. I had already made up my mind on the spot, but was interested in finding out if my paranoia was shared (it usually isn't. Lol)
Either way, thanks again!

Upvote 0

reefz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive learned now not to care so much about hitchhikers and parasites getting into my tanks. I had an aptasia problem and I threw in a few dozen peppermint shrimp. Fixed it in a week

Upvote 0

Tharry68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A big chain pet store near me has a coral tank. Some of the frags have been overwhelmed by aptasia. I’m curious why they have at least remove the plugs that have it?

Upvote 0

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only buy from places that have a strict quarantine protocol and are also willing to dip my frag for me and give me fresh saltwater in the bag. I don't have a QT so I've gotta be careful.

For fish though, man... thats difficult. Almost everything has some kind of pest. But a properly sized and plumbed UV sterilizer will rid that problem for you.

Upvote 0

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
i dip in coral rx and reef primer only. i need to start utilizing peroxide dip as well…. even after dipping i had some bryopsis pop up that i’m now dealing with

Upvote 0

rusty hannon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO WAY

Upvote 0

Hypnotoad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m really glad I’m not scared of aiptasi of bubble algae.

Honestly this thread and some of the responses-especially the one suggesting the OP name check the shop-are pretty baffling to me.

Upvote 0

rene9898

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up here in Sacramento we have Exotic Aquarium. Man that store was scary as hell. Almost every SW tank had aptasia, tanks not maintained at all. The even scarier part was the power cables they had sometimes out on floor with lots of water that leaked on floor from water changes etc. Inso feel bad for the employees because that place caught fire and they lost almost everything. Heard they donated what they managed to save. Store is still not opened up and doubt they will. This is the second store in Sacramento that caught fire.

Upvote 0

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Very few LFS do not have aiptasia or bubble algae. They key, and this is coming from someone who works at those places, is to look at these two points:

1. How obvious or plentyful is the aiptasia? If it is right in front of them or easy to remove and there are plenty very visible to customers, this is bad. This shows they don't care or they are lazy. If they don't take care of obvious pests popping out at them, imagine how little they do for not so obvious pests.

2. If you point it out to them, and they don't do anything, that means that they either knew about it and ignored it or don't care enough about what they are giving to customers to remove it.

Aiptasia is the easiest way to judge how much a store cares about their livestock, and even more so about your tank. Sadly, a lot of stores are like this, especially one's run by old guys who lost their passion and drive for the business (this is a pet store issue in general). Another trick is to see if their filter socks or pads are overflowing. This is very easy for them to fix, yet some places have the same sock in for months or years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

onlyfans

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up here in Sacramento we have Exotic Aquarium. Man that store was scary as hell. Almost every SW tank had aptasia, tanks not maintained at all. The even scarier part was the power cables they had sometimes out on floor with lots of water that leaked on floor from water changes etc. Inso feel bad for the employees because that place caught fire and they lost almost everything. Heard they donated what they managed to save. Store is still not opened up and doubt they will. This is the second store in Sacramento that caught fire.
Insurance money

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back