Would you take over someone else's tank?

Gumbies R Us

God, Bouldering, and Reefing
View Badges
Joined
Nov 10, 2022
Messages
30,925
Reaction score
54,402
Location
North Georgia
Seller Rating
5 ★
Rating Count
2
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imagine one day you were approached by a fellow reefer, and they were getting out of the hobby. They asked you, you can have everything for free as long as you take care of it. Would you do it?
 
Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office
 
Do I have room for it?

If yes, yes. If no, no.

My biggest constraint right now is physical space. If someone wanted to give me a 200 gallon aquarium... that's great, but I don't physically have anywhere I could put something like that.

So that's what it comes down to. Can I physically fit it into my current home?
 
Depends on the look of the tank and what was in it. I would not want to be fixing someone else’s problems or keep a tank with creatures that I wasn’t wanting in the first place.

And, of course,,if it looks like windex it’s a hard “no”. lol
 
It's hard to get live rock in my area. Strict rules in Canada on importing and the few places with good rock are in Ontario or Quebec so shipping costs an arm and a leg. I would 100% just for the rock.
 
It's hard to get live rock in my area. Strict rules in Canada on importing and the few places with good rock are in Ontario or Quebec so shipping costs an arm and a leg. I would 100% just for the rock.
But you won't take care of everything else.... see trick question! 😬
 
I probably have to pass. Moving an already established tank is a lot of work I simply do not want to invest the time in right now. I would rather set up something completely new from scratch.

Do I have room for it?

If yes, yes. If no, no.

What if you have the space for it, BUT:
  • It's a G1 RedSea Reefer with a visible bubble on the silicone seam,
  • It's riddled with a toxic Dinoflagellate strain
  • It has > 200ppm NO₃ and 5ppm PO₄
Where do you draw the line? 👀
 
I probably have to pass. Moving an already established tank is a lot of work I simply do not want to invest the time in right now. I would rather set up something completely new from scratch.



What if you have the space for it, BUT:
  • It's a G1 RedSea Reefer with a visible bubble on the silicone seam,
  • It's riddled with a toxic Dinoflagellate strain
  • It has > 200ppm NO₃ and 5ppm PO₄
Where do you draw the line? 👀
nope GIF
 
But you won't take care of everything else.... see trick question! 😬
This sounds nuts but I'd stick an ugly tank in the basement and take livestock I don't like the look of just to get the rock even if it was loaded with pests. 10 pounds of live rock would cost me 120 bucks before tax at the closest LFS and 220 bucks in gas to go get it.
 
I probably have to pass. Moving an already established tank is a lot of work I simply do not want to invest the time in right now. I would rather set up something completely new from scratch.



What if you have the space for it, BUT:
  • It's a G1 RedSea Reefer with a visible bubble on the silicone seam,
  • It's riddled with a toxic Dinoflagellate strain
  • It has > 200ppm NO₃ and 5ppm PO₄
Where do you draw the line? 👀

In that case... I'd help them find homes for the livestock (including my own tank if it works), take the rest of their equipment and help them dispose of the tank.
 
Imagine one day you were approached by a fellow reefer, and they were getting out of the hobby. They asked you, you can have everything for free as long as you take care of it. Would you do it?
Are you offering?
 
I've accepted this offer 3-4 times in my life. Mostly as friends graduated from college. Sometimes I'd just adopt the inhabitants, sometimes I'd take the tank too.

My best pickup was from a pet store that decided to stop carrying fish. One day I got a call: "Do you want the 125 gallon tank at the front? You just have to come take all of the fish and equipment."

No brainer! Until then my largest tanks were 55 gallons. Of course the center brace (it was the old style with 1 brace) broke after 1 year, but I limped along with a C-clamp for another year and replaced the tank with a new one when I moved. So I guess I had to buy the tank anyway!
 
Depends on the look of the tank and what was in it. I would not want to be fixing someone else’s problems!
Totally agree! I would like to know how much and what caliber of equipment it is going to come with.

From AI-

Modern tanks combine firepower, mobility, and survivability on the battlefield:
    • Firepower: Modern MBTs typically employ a 120mm or 125mm smoothbore cannon capable of firing armor-piercing fin-stabilized discarding-sabot (APFSDS) rounds and guided missiles. Fire control systems utilize laser rangefinders, advanced thermal imaging, and ballistic computers to ensure high accuracy on the move.
      Cat Tank GIF
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 35 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 8 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new