Would you take your tank down to move, or stay?

Would you take your tank down and move?

• Take it down

Votes: 18 94.7%
  • I’d stay for the tank

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

Jseimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been facing a moral dilemma lately. My wife and I would love to leave the frozen north called North Dakota and move south (up for debate where). I would obviously have to take my tank down to do so. How many of you would do it no problem vs stay put for the tank

Crashnt24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's tough but like changes like moving are more important IMO. You can always start a new tank in your new home.

Two ways you can take your tank with you.

-Set up a new tank at your new home while keeping your old one up. Then over night ship all your live stock to your new home.

- Rent a large truck, pack all live stock and equipment. Drive for hours straight through. Rush to set everything up.

Both options are expensive and time consuming. Where there is a will there is a way. Nothing is impossible if you work hard enough for it.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An aquarium is not going to dictate where I live outside of a particular house within my desired area. That shifts it from a hobby into something else.

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved a 60 cube cross town which is nothing compared to what you are planning but from my experience I'd say it depends on the size of your tank. If it's a large tank full of livestock/corals then I'd say stay put and dont move it as it's not worth the headache and so would Than Thien, Tidal Gardens owner here...

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved my 125 gallon almost 3 years ago in a big rented truck. I bought a new tank and brought it with me and set the thing up in two days. I am near the sea so I filled the new tank with seawater, quickly heated it up by floating 5 gallon plastic water cooler containers in it. Then took my stuff out of the vats and put it in. The hardest part was keeping everything in vats warm but the livestock I put in large Styrofoam coolers.
I only moved 60 miles so it wasn't like 800 miles or anything.
I wrote a thread about the move.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's time for you to move. reading your post I think you know the answer to. I also live in the frozen north wyoming/idaho boarder so I know the felling.

I would start off by thinking what and where you two want to live. and slowly come up with a plan once you have decided on a few spots form hours of internet research its time for a road trip or flight ( just be safe) I think its very impotent to go visit a time or 3 before you fully move.

depending on where you move there might be nice LFS that could help hold your corals and live stock till you get setup or just sale everything and start fresh that is what I would do personally unless your have lots of great corals and fish you just cant get rid of.

where are you guys thinking?
can you get good jobs ,better jobs? reefing and moving is expensive so hopefully it will still be in your budget.

so I say selling everything and start over!

OP
OP
Jseimo

Jseimo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's time for you to move. reading your post I think you know the answer to. I also live in the frozen north wyoming/idaho boarder so I know the felling.

I would start off by thinking what and where you two want to live. and slowly come up with a plan once you have decided on a few spots form hours of internet research its time for a road trip or flight ( just be safe) I think its very impotent to go visit a time or 3 before you fully move.

depending on where you move there might be nice LFS that could help hold your corals and live stock till you get setup or just sale everything and start fresh that is what I would do personally unless your have lots of great corals and fish you just cant get rid of.

where are you guys thinking?
can you get good jobs ,better jobs? reefing and moving is expensive so hopefully it will still be in your budget.

so I say selling everything and start over!

Thinking of Orlando, fl. I’m a class A cdl driver so I can get a job anywhere.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking of Orlando, fl. I’m a class A cdl driver so I can get a job anywhere.
nice! where you hauling in the oil fields up there? yeah be pretty easy for you to get a got job. and no ice and snow to deal with..

oh Orlando shoot... sale everything and start new so many reefers down there + WWC. waterbox is up in jasksonville if remember right. tons of reefers down there so finding a new or used setup should be pretty easy.

good luck!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My son when just getting started in saltwater would buy whole tanks from a hobbyist getting out, drive 2 states away and transport everything back in buckets, bins and garbage cans and not lose anything! A couple of battery operated pumps and some good old fashion heavy lifting got him into reef tanks he could never have afforded. It takes planning and perseverance but it can be done. I like my reef too much to leave it behind so I would definitely move it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back