Would you use microbacter 7 during cycle

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just to add a bit more variability to a dry rock bare bottom. Nothin is better than a bit of live rock or corals though, until you get bryopsis, that is. Oh yeah, and Aiptasia LOL.

Lokipsl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just completed the 14 day initial cycle treatment with Microbacter 7. I have read the WWC uses it as well. The argument for beneficial bacteria competition makes sense to me and the product is fairly inexpensive for my size tank, so I gave it a try.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, just to add a bit more variability to a dry rock bare bottom. Nothin is better than a bit of live rock or corals though, until you get bryopsis, that is. Oh yeah, and Aiptasia LOL.
So even tho i started the cycle with dr tims and ammonia adding microbacter 7 on the 7th day of the cycle will be ok?

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even tho i started the cycle with dr tims and ammonia adding microbacter 7 on the 7th day of the cycle will be ok?
How long do you want to wait? Now you’ve added that stuff, if you’ve got enough surface area, you’ll be done soon. Just measure your ammonia. If it’s going down, your good to progress :)

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long do you want to wait? Now you’ve added that stuff, if you’ve got enough surface area, you’ll be done soon. Just measure your ammonia. If it’s going down, your good to progress :)
Here is a picture of the tsnk plenty of surface area . When would ypu add chemipure into the chambers i only have filter sox at the moment

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 56

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a picture of the tsnk plenty of surface area . When would ypu add chemipure into the chambers i only have filter sox at the moment
Not familiar with chemipure. Sorry. No additives required during cycle, just let it ride.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use Microbacter7, not if already (or after) using Dr. Tim's.

The harder part is establishing the nitrifying microbes that hopefully adapted to our aquariums. All the other microbes are far easier to establish, so to me I don't really see a need for MB7.

Especially since MB7 boasts microbes that work in both freshwater and marine environments. What does that mean? Either these microbes are super versatile and work great in both systems, or they are better adapted to one or the other, or some of them are better adapted to saltwater environments while other to freshwater environments. Either way, yeah you add some live stock and sure, there are probably a lot of host-specific symbionts that live within them, but they would probably also include a bunch of other microorganisms that will fill the roles that the heterotrophs in MB7 may play. Well, I don't know what microbes are actually in MB7, so can't be 100% sure, but hey.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The harder part is establishing the nitrifying microbes that hopefully adapted to our aquariums. All the other microbes are far easier to establish, so to me I don't really see a need for MB7.

Especially since MB7 boasts microbes that work in both freshwater and marine environments. What does that mean? Either these microbes are super versatile and work great in both systems, or they are better adapted to one or the other, or some of them are better adapted to saltwater environments while other to freshwater environments. Either way, yeah you add some live stock and sure, there are probably a lot of host-specific symbionts that live within them, but they would probably also include a bunch of other microorganisms that will fill the roles that the heterotrophs in MB7 may play. Well, I don't know what microbes are actually in MB7, so can't be 100% sure, but hey.
I think you maybe overthinking stuff. This is the easy bit. Add some crap to the water and stuff will eat it. Preventing fish disease, coral pests is where the metal of the aquarist is tested.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you maybe overthinking stuff. This is the easy bit. Add some crap to the water and stuff will eat it. Preventing fish disease, coral pests is where the metal of the aquarist is tested.
I'm a microbiologist. I can't help overthinking it in this case.

OP
OP
chrisgold

chrisgold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was sceptical aswell the only reason i ask is i am worried that ther isnt enough nitrifying bacteria In my tank as the bottle of dr tims said it treats 30 gallon and my tank is 125ltrs and i had heard its good to add twice the amount as you couldn't put too much in?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was sceptical aswell the only reason i ask is i am worried that ther isnt enough nitrifying bacteria In my tank as the bottle of dr tims said it treats 30 gallon and my tank is 125ltrs and i had heard its good to add twice the amount as you couldn't put too much in?
If it is specifically about not having enough nitrifying microbes, then you don't need MB7. Yes you can dose more to 'speed' things up, but also it won't necessarily be as fast as you'd think. Presuming similar concentrations, you are adding an amount from Dr. Tim's that was already added and had been reproducing since then. Even under the 'simplest' considerations, you are only doubling the amount of nitrifiers, which ain't really worth it imo. If nitrifiers generally double every 24-36 hours, then you are just wasting money for something that will happen within a day or two anyways.

Of course, it may be more complicated than that. It may be about where, when, and how certain nitrifiers end up colonizing different locations or whatever in your biomedia... but how significant is that really? I'd say not very at all, given how often people can successfully with just one bottled bac product - regardless of what brand it is.

I do agree that it can nonetheless introduce diversity to your tank, and that could be a reason to dose MB7. But then, given that it costs like what, at least $10? I'd just go to a random LFS, buy a cheap coral and chuck it into the tank. Tada, microbial diversity. Or better yet, grab a piece of live rock. Tada, diversity.

So not saying you can't or should not dose MB7. I just feel there are better ways to approach anything that dosing MB7 after already dosing Dr. Tim's have to offer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 30.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back