Wrapping a stand question

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the finish. If it's melamine, a lot of stands are built out of that. If you just mean mdf, with no laminate, I personally wouldn't put the effort in for that material.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re asking for issues unless it’s 100% waterproofed somehow.

Might be cheaper to skin it with some 1/8” veneer if you’re only looking for aesthetics.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the camp of you're asking for trouble with MDF, and I'll add that it's probably not the easiest material to work with for this purpose. Unless sealed with varnish or shellac, the edges would be like a sponge and swell every time water inevitably dripped on it.

As other have mentioned, 1/8-1/4" plywood is ideal and can be painted or polyurethaned easily enough. This is an inexpensive option, probably best suited for painting:

https://www.homedepot.com/CheapPlywood

Here's a 1/4" thick sheet that's still pretty affordable and nice enough that it could be painted, stained, or polyurethaned and would look very good:

https://www.homedepot.com/SandedPlywood

Consider using a prefinished wall panel board. These look nice all on their own, right from day one, and many have at least a water resistant finish. This is an example, but there are all kinds of finishes on these panels. This is a super easy option because they are prefinished:

https://www.homedepot.com/ExamplePanelBoard

If you're looking for something really, really cheap, and don't care about the looks, I *might* be tempted to suggest OSB (Oriented Strand Board) over MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard). It's not pretty, but with some paint I think it would be a much better option than MDF, which, by the way, is a challenging material to paint. The edges of MDF have to first be sealed before painting, and the whole thing generally requires a lot of applications of finish and sanding in between, for example. Again, this stuff sure ain't pretty, but it's much better suited to skinning your tank versus MDF, in my estimation:

https://www.homedepot.com/OSB

Another option is Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic or FRP wall panels, these are inherently moisture/rot resistant:

https://www.homedepot.com/FRPWallPanel

I'm using the big orange box store as an example, but these materials are common and can be found at any decent hardware store.

There's probably a hundred ways to skin a tank, even if you're on a budget, but I'd suggest staying clear of the MDF.

Good luck!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re asking for trouble.

I suggest making panels. One or two for the front, one for each end, and maybe a top. I made panes for my 40B stand using solid boards and pocket screws.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re asking for trouble.

I suggest making panels. One or two for the front, one for each end, and maybe a top. I made panes for my 40B stand using solid boards and pocket screws.
Are you suggesting gluing up solid boards (like you would for a table top) to make a panel to skin the stand? If so, why use solid wood instead of plywood, which seems easier to me?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The integrity of the stand comes in the frame that you are skinning and not in the MDF.

That being said, MDF wouldn't be my first choice, not for structural concerns, but for aesthetic.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you suggesting gluing up solid boards (like you would for a table top) to make a panel to skin the stand? If so, why use solid wood instead of plywood, which seems easier to me?
Not quite, although possible. Think center panel with wood surround. In my case I ran a router with a 45 chamfer bit on all sides of all pieces to give it some detail. Then screwed them edge to edge. Again, it was making use of what was available to me and what tools I had. It wasn’t perfect but it worked.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I follow you. A panel kind of like a Shaker style cabinet door. Thanks for your reply!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I follow you. A panel kind of like a Shaker style cabinet door. Thanks for your reply!
Yeah, exactly. Did something similar with my hood. Those I needed to borrow tools to make though.
IMG_1168.jpeg

These have a plywood center and a solid wood outer. Pocket screws and biscuits. I had to borrow my friend’s tools (table saw) to build them but very happy with the results.
FCD62795-BE38-45F0-98FD-BB2796596090-2214-0000017E79EF12D4.jpeg

(Hood, not stand btw)

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite, although possible. Think center panel with wood surround. In my case I ran a router with a 45 chamfer bit on all sides of all pieces to give it some detail. Then screwed them edge to edge. Again, it was making use of what was available to me and what tools I had. It wasn’t perfect but it worked.

Yeah, exactly. Did something similar with my hood. Those I needed to borrow tools to make though.
IMG_1168.jpeg

These have a plywood center and a solid wood outer. Pocket screws and biscuits. I had to borrow my friend’s tools (table saw) to build them but very happy with the results.
FCD62795-BE38-45F0-98FD-BB2796596090-2214-0000017E79EF12D4.jpeg

(Hood, not stand btw)
I like that very much, that’s a nice look!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hood panels are an 0.5” oak plywood core, then 1X3 oak surround. I used my friend’s table saw to cut the plywood and sides exactly the same height. The top and bottom were left slightly long. The center panel is held in with biscuits but are only glued to the panel, not to the surround. When I got the pieces home, I glued the biscuits into the panels, let them dry, then drilled the pocket screws and assembled the perimeter boards. The extra length on the top and bottom board were trimmed off by my friend the next weekend, then the panels were sanded and finished.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hood panels are an 0.5” oak plywood core, then 1X3 oak surround. I used my friend’s table saw to cut the plywood and sides exactly the same height. The top and bottom were left slightly long. The center panel is held in with biscuits but are only glued to the panel, not to the surround. When I got the pieces home, I glued the biscuits into the panels, let them dry, then drilled the pocket screws and assembled the perimeter boards. The extra length on the top and bottom board were trimmed off by my friend the next weekend, then the panels were sanded and finished.
Thank you for outlining your process. I do think it's a very good looking final product. I may have to steal this idea for an upcoming build ;-)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back