Wrasse as hitchhiker?

ohio reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2013
Messages
1,524
Reaction score
20
Location
Columbus Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with saltwater I've collected some weird hitchhikers, this takes the cake,
ImageUploadedByReef2Reef Aquarium Forum1367003247.130177.jpg
I bought around 20-30 lbs of live rock out of my lfs display tank, I placed the rock in and saw something small with fins in a piece it is pink and I though that it was some crab thing, well at feeding time it came out of the rock and appears to be a small wrasse, are they notorious hiders? After that I think I'll have a tough time getting him out if I decide to, can I get a name on this? Is it reef safe?


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
Oh yes, they can hide quite well in rocks if they wish to.

Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (male). A keeper unless this is a small tank.
 
They hide in the rock often...It is a lubbuck's wrasse.
 
1smile1

If you don't have your tank covered, you'd best do it quickly. ALL wrasses are jumpers.
 
Completely covered by a glass canopy, I can't even open it without removing the 48 inch lighting fixture, if I can't get in he can't get out haha


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
wow what a great deal. I love that wrasse hes super nice!! Nice Find!!
 
Things so far have been going great with this tank(knock on wood) I bought a bubble tip anemone and on the way here due to shipping stress split and I now have 5 bubble tips that are doing great, my black onxy clowns hosted my new sebae after 2 hours and now a free wrasse!


Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
 
even the wall socket has a shocked look on its face at how beautiful the wrasse is and how much you lucked out. lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new