Wrasse-cal's Waterbox 100.3 Build AKA "The Money Pit"

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I'm super excited to start this thread to track the progress and pitfalls of my reef tank build! The primary purpose of this thread is to get advice from all of the members far more advanced and knowledgeable than I--and hopefully post cool pictures of colorful sticks in the coming months and years.

Updated 4/10/18
  • Tank/Sump: Waterbox 100.3--This is a 75 gallon display, with a 25 gallon sump.
  • Return Pump: Varios-6: return has 2 random flow generators.
  • Manifold Pump: Varios-2: this will run the CA reactor and the algae reactor
  • Skimmer: Lifereef SVS2-24: Powered with a Varios-6. 2x BRS CO2 scrubber plumbed via the venturi.
  • Circulation: 2 Maxspect XF230 gyres with Icecap Apex Interface Modules.
  • Lights: Orphek Atlantik v4: I'm really excited about this light.
  • Controller: Neptune Apex, 2x FFM and ATK
  • Heating: 2 Cobalt Neotherm (150w) as primary and 1 HMO Finnex Heater (300w) as backup
  • Nutrient Removal: Pax Bellum ARID N18 Chaeto Reactor
  • CA Reactor: Geo 618 Reactor and 415 Secondary Chamber with Carbon Doser electronic regulator

Last edited:
OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Issue:

I'm building a set of lighting brackets to mount the Orphek out of materials from 80/20.net. If I want to keep the design simple, I'm somewhat limited by the mounting holes on the top of the light. The mount has a T groove that would allow the light to slide over the tank from front to back.

Because of the gap in the back of the stand, the red option is only possible if I mount the light to the wall. The yellow option would work stand mounted or wall mounted. Which looks better to you all?
tank light 1 (1).png tank light 1.png

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dry live rock arrived! 60 pounds of Pukani from Bulk Reef Supply.

This is my first order, so I’m only going off of the website photos, but to those with more knowledge, does this look like Pukani to everyone?

There is a lot of sand/detritus attached. I plan on washing the rock using the acid then bleach method. Is there any harm in using a garden hose/pressure washer with city water to blow off the loose bits before the acid wash?

3BA1BE0F-5406-4321-B3F5-AE06B3BBFA83.jpeg
19003A90-9C78-4BDA-BED9-AAA90455C25A.jpeg
3603999D-CFD0-49BB-8012-005B0571D4F9.jpeg
2D5E952C-D4D2-47D7-85E0-D03D7C5B4FD0.jpeg
8EE0AD13-B22F-4719-96CD-1A07F20FEA0B.jpeg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First Issue:

I'm building a set of lighting brackets to mount the Orphek out of materials from 80/20.net. If I want to keep the design simple, I'm somewhat limited by the mounting holes on the top of the light. The mount has a T groove that would allow the light to slide over the tank from front to back.

Because of the gap in the back of the stand, the red option is only possible if I mount the light to the wall. The yellow option would work stand mounted or wall mounted. Which looks better to you all?
tank light 1 (1).png tank light 1.png
Yellow

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acid washed my live rock. I was quite careful given the large amount of acid being used. I have to say though, it was a lot less eventful than I was anticipating.

My process:

1. 60 pounds of dry live rock, pre-washed with the garden hose went into a 30 gallon trash can.
  2. 20 gallons of water covered the rock easily, and left a good amount of room still in the can.
  3. I followed the BRS recommendation and did a 20:1 ratio of acid to water.
  4. The rock soaked in the acid solution for 15 minutes.
  5. Then dumped a “a lot” of baking soda into the trash can.
  6. Then dumped out can and rinsed the rock.

The bubbling and foaming was pretty reasonable given the 20:1 ratio. It did foam over the can, but not violently. There was more rapid foaming when I added the baking soda at the end.

The interesting part was the result. The wash seems to have softened the brown film on the rock so that the film could be sprayed off by the hose after rinsing. Surprisingly, the wash revealed green spots on the rock! I assume this is algae...and maybe even live algae given the color?!

628C074C-39ED-4A27-AADA-CD4D21BAC0E2.jpeg
67C1A42A-8DBB-4B41-BD57-AD6057BB6478.jpeg
A46CFE12-E24B-4213-8A88-9B6FC93DA5DA.jpeg

The rock is now in a bleach bath for one week...

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I wait for my live rock to bleach, I was reading up on the processes for seeding my now dead rock.

Would I be correct in thinking that my best option is getting rubble from an established tank and using that to seed my rock? I would think that would be better than bacteria in a bottle, but maybe I'm wrong about that.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rock is still in the bleach bath until Saturday.

After some reading, I'm considering using Dr. Tim's Nitrifying Bacteria to seed the tank. Curious if anyone has compared the product to, for example, Zeobak? Both claim to quick cycle the tank.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use bacteria in a bottle to cycle. I'm a big proponent of live rock additions with dry rock after the cycle. Live rock cured, of course. Even live rubble from a existing tank would be beneficial. Dry rock alone just seems to take forever to mature and lacks all of those bacterial strains, more than a bottle can produce.

I'll share this story with you, but don't take it completely on face value. Even though its Mike paletta. I've had good success mixing dry with live, so don't let that deter you.

https://reefbuilders.com/author/mikepaletta/

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use bacteria in a bottle to cycle. I'm a big proponent of live rock additions with dry rock after the cycle. Live rock cured, of course. Even live rubble from a existing tank would be beneficial. Dry rock alone just seems to take forever to mature and lacks all of those bacterial strains, more than a bottle can produce.

I'll share this story with you, but don't take it completely on face value. Even though its Mike paletta. I've had good success mixing dry with live, so don't let that deter you.

https://reefbuilders.com/author/mikepaletta/

Thanks! My problem is finding a source of quality, established live rock—I’d frankly even prefer live rock rubble. I’m in a fairly rural part of northern California and I’m not super confident with the quality of local fish store’s rock. Do you have an online source for live rock rubble you’d recommend? Heck, I’d buy a couple of pounds of established rubble from a forum member with a clean, established tank.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! My problem is finding a source of quality, established live rock—I’d frankly even prefer live rock rubble. I’m in a fairly rural part of northern California and I’m not super confident with the quality of local fish store’s rock. Do you have an online source for live rock rubble you’d recommend? Heck, I’d buy a couple of pounds of established rubble from a forum member with a clean, established tank.

Tampa Bay live rock

http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/ordering/pricelist.html

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just spoke to them, in state (FL) they can ship for 25-30 bucks. I will be using at least 10 pounds of their wonderful rock in my 40g breeder that will be hitting the scenes in 2-3 months.
I have seen some "bad" hitchhikers on their rock, but it is also hands down the most beautiful live rock I have ever seen. The good far outweighs the bad IMO.
I would email them to clarify their shipping price to you, and I would recommend getting 10 pounds of it at minimum, but I am biased.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but Tampa Bay has a 100 pound minimum shipping charge. My five pounds of rubble will cost, if I understand their rates, $100.

Also, and actually more significantly, I’ve heard both good and bad things about Tampa Bay in terms of hitchhikers. Have you used them?

No

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are progressing slowly.

IMG_0209.jpg

I've been tinkering with the rock. After two tubes of epoxy, I'm pretty happy with the two individual components, though I've been working some various ideas on placement.

IMG_0220.jpg

Display tank stand is built--mostly. The kit from Waterbox was missing a self-leveling foot. Unfortunately, because of the holiday, the part won't get here until tomorrow. Props to Waterbox, they quickly sent me another. Waterbox has been really great and very responsive. Thus far I'm very happy with my tank choice.

Unfortunately, because of the holiday, the foot won't get here until tomorrow. No worries though. The delay gave me time to assemble the stand for my light and test mount the Orphek!

IMG_0222.jpg
IMG_0224.jpg

This thing is really cool! Connecting the Orphek though was a PITA. The instructions are terrible. That being said, once I figured out what to do, it only took 30 seconds. Orphek though isn't kidding about the gateway needing to be line of sight to the fixture. I had to order a network switch so I can mount the gateway in the same room as the tank. There was only one wall between the router and the fixture and it wouldn't connect.

OP
OP
Wrasse-cal

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JonJ, thanks for the idea regarding the light mount. I ended up using smaller gauge t-bars and a different attachment method, but you deserve credit for the idea and inspiration.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice and minimalistic. Interesting shapes. Good swimming room. Should allow for great flow with the gyre too. Nice job.

JonJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm set on a rock layout. Any thoughts?

IMG_0238.jpg

Looks nice! The large piece on the right looks like a sharp drop off that might make coral placement a little tough depending on what you put there. It helps me to think about what will go where while aquascaping. You could do a capricornis coming off the face of that big piece. Can’t wait to see the finished setup!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back