Wrasse compatibility - melanarus & yellow coris

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

this is best place I have found to .. start my research. I am interested in a second wrasse for my 90g. I do not want the big red dude who flips rocks, sounds like a pita. Currently have a melanarus.

I am interested in the yellow coris wrasse. I read they are of the same halichoerus family, and that may be a bad idea. Some have kept them together, but I am afraid that my melanarus has already had it's turf claimed.

There are 2 clowns, 1 blue eye kole, 1 melanarus currently

I am interested in the wrasse due to the utilitarian nature of pest control but also the 'flashing' of the fins they do and their general temperament of swimming like a torpedo.

What are some wrasse that are not of the halichoerus family that would live peacefully with a melanarus (male, I assume as he is the only one of them in the tank)

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had both in my 80G cube without issue. The yellow was the alpha male. The Mel would on occasion start a squabble with the yellow, but it never went very far other then some simple chasing.

MarshallB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a blue star, melanurus, and a yellow coris in a 125 and no issues what so ever. They all seem very calm, just swimming around picking at the rocks all day.

Daveph68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I currently have a Fairy Wrasse in a 62 gallon tank, I was thinking of adding a Yellow Coris as a utilitarium for pests would they be compatible or not?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am also setting up a 90 gallon reef. Now I don’t know what your other stocking plans are, but having those 3 together is a bit much. The red coris will get aggressive and will get big. Expect him to cause a bit of problems towards the yellow coris. The melanarus wrasse is aggressive as well, and could take out his aggression with the yellow coris, but also towards the red coris. You also need to think about space. The 90 gallon is what 3 or maybe 4 feet? That’s not a lot of territory for 3 Halichoeres. It is doable ig, but not in the long run, and you will probably have problems not just with the wrasses, but also with the other fish. Also keep in mind the red coris is not completely reef safe, so watch for that. My recommendation would be take out the red coris and and keep the melanarus and yellow coris. There could be issues between them but it would be minimal compared to if you had the third one. The reason I saw is to take out the red coris and not the yellow is because the red coris would be the bully of them, both to the melanarus, or the yellow coris. But hey it’s your tank, and if you can make it work, then go for it. These are just some suggestions.

OP
OP
ilikefish69

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am also setting up a 90 gallon reef. Now I don’t know what your other stocking plans are, but having those 3 together is a bit much. The red coris will get aggressive and will get big. Expect him to cause a bit of problems towards the yellow coris. The melanarus wrasse is aggressive as well, and could take out his aggression with the yellow coris, but also towards the red coris. You also need to think about space. The 90 gallon is what 3 or maybe 4 feet? That’s not a lot of territory for 3 Halichoeres. It is doable ig, but not in the long run, and you will probably have problems not just with the wrasses, but also with the other fish. Also keep in mind the red coris is not completely reef safe, so watch for that. My recommendation would be take out the red coris and and keep the melanarus and yellow coris. There could be issues between them but it would be minimal compared to if you had the third one. The reason I saw is to take out the red coris and not the yellow is because the red coris would be the bully of them, both to the melanarus, or the yellow coris. But hey it’s your tank, and if you can make it work, then go for it. These are just some suggestions.
I appreciate suggestion! I went a bit of a different route - could not find a yellow coris wrasse to purchase, but I went with a leopard wrasse. My all time favorite fish. I felt confident after reading many horror stories of them being difficult. My leopard "Leo" is a chubby, do-de-do oblivious to everything around him happy as can be fish :) .

I will most likely just keep a melanarus and leopard. If I ever see a yellow coris wrasse I will think about it, but I have a midas blenny to add the splash of yellow I was hunting for.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back