Wrasse death

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wrasse is around 9 years old. I know lifespans vary on species but im not sure of his species. He's yellow on the top, kinda greyish black on the bottom with blue lines near his eyes. So he was eating clams and swimming around and doing fine and suddenly after coming home from school, dead in the back of the tank. Water quality was fantastic, everything was fine. Is this just of natural causes? He had no infections, viruses, etc.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was it? Sounds like a Halichoeres leucoxanthus, but I don't know about the blue lines and they are more grey-silver on the bottom -- @Slocke @i cant think
9 years seems like a long life for a wrasse. My bet is old age. See any dropoff in color, appetite, activity levels? Any pics of him?

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big was it? Sounds like a Halichoeres leucoxanthus, but I don't know about the blue lines and they are more grey-silver on the bottom -- @Slocke @i cant think
9 years seems like a long life for a wrasse. My bet is old age. See any dropoff in color, appetite, activity levels? Any pics of him?
Yeah thats somewhat what he looked like. Closest to him atleast. He was about 6 maybe 7 inches. Dropoff in color as in his colors got darker or lighter? I would say darker though. Appetite was same as always, he was eating well. I probably have pics deep into my camera roll so if you really need me to i could.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231106_222714_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20231106_222714_Google.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 36

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats somewhat what he looked like. Closest to him atleast. He was about 6 maybe 7 inches. Dropoff in color as in his colors got darker or lighter? I would say darker though. Appetite was same as always, he was eating well. I probably have pics deep into my camera roll so if you really need me to i could.
Yellow Cheek wrasse? (Halichoeres cyanocephalus)

That was a long-lived wrasse. Not sure cause of death, but I could imagine age played a part.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering most Halichoeres seem to live for 7-10 years you got a good lifespan out of that guy I’d be quite happy personally. And the reason why I am leaning towards old age is because if it was a disease you would’ve seen signs prior to death - I.e. Not feeding, going skinny, swimming weirdly.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow Cheek wrasse? (Halichoeres cyanocephalus)

That was a long-lived wrasse. Not sure cause of death, but I could imagine age played a part.
good to know, felt like i personally killed something, which i still do, but makes me feel better to know he most likely lived his full life.

OP
OP
H

heystopthatman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering most Halichoeres seem to live for 7-10 years you got a good lifespan out of that guy I’d be quite happy personally. And the reason why I am leaning towards old age is because if it was a disease you would’ve seen signs prior to death - I.e. Not feeding, going skinny, swimming weirdly.
Good to know, thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back