Wrasse expert needed......

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I thought I was one. hehe

Well the first photos I'm just showing off, the orange speckled one I have id'd as a Timor wrasse which I had never seen before and promptly went into my personal tank. ;p

The last one I cannot for the life of me find an id on. I think maybe he is also in the halichoeres or psuedojulodes family, but I cannot find him. The pictures aren't the best and his coloration in the tank is actually a really nice red grapefruit/pink color mixed with some gold. Anybody have a clue? Detguy? ;]

RG

Line-spot flasher
P7290056.jpg

Yellow-fin flasher
P7290065.jpg

Timor wrasse
P7290049.jpg

Unidentified flying fish (well I hope not actually ;p)
P7290033.jpg

P7290034.jpg

P7290037.jpg

OP
OP
Reef Goddess

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah, still no luck in the halichoeres family. I sent an email to Julian Sprung to see if he could help me out.

detguy123

I'm a pain in the wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes the first is a female timor...i have never seen one as well..now the next one i am not sure about... it does not look like it is from the pseudojuloides family but i think maybe from the halichoeres or coris family but like i said i am not sure..i looked through photos i have and around on the net and can't find anything...it also looks like it is a female as well beacuse of the color..sorry i could not be off any help..but please let us know if you do get an id on it as i would like to know

OP
OP
Reef Goddess

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the Timor is pretty cool.

Phooey! Lol Well, I'm pretty sure it is a male because it is very bright pinkish when its not stressed out so it doesn't really look like the pics except for the markings. I'll see if I can try and get a pic of the smaller one in my tank.

OP
OP
Reef Goddess

Reef Goddess

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah ha!!

Woohoo! Someone came through with an ID. Beaut was on the right track, it is a Coris venusta, Elegant Coris wrasse from Hawaii. Grows to 7" so mines still a baby. ;]

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the timorensis looks like a female to me too
males have green in them between the orange streaks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back