Wrasse expert needed......

Reef Goddess

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
May 18, 2007
Messages
1,059
Reaction score
10
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I thought I was one. hehe

Well the first photos I'm just showing off, the orange speckled one I have id'd as a Timor wrasse which I had never seen before and promptly went into my personal tank. ;p

The last one I cannot for the life of me find an id on. I think maybe he is also in the halichoeres or psuedojulodes family, but I cannot find him. The pictures aren't the best and his coloration in the tank is actually a really nice red grapefruit/pink color mixed with some gold. Anybody have a clue? Detguy? ;]


RG


Line-spot flasher
P7290056.jpg


Yellow-fin flasher
P7290065.jpg


Timor wrasse
P7290049.jpg



Unidentified flying fish (well I hope not actually ;p)
P7290033.jpg

P7290034.jpg

P7290037.jpg
 
Nah, still no luck in the halichoeres family. I sent an email to Julian Sprung to see if he could help me out.
 
yes the first is a female timor...i have never seen one as well..now the next one i am not sure about... it does not look like it is from the pseudojuloides family but i think maybe from the halichoeres or coris family but like i said i am not sure..i looked through photos i have and around on the net and can't find anything...it also looks like it is a female as well beacuse of the color..sorry i could not be off any help..but please let us know if you do get an id on it as i would like to know
 
Yeah the Timor is pretty cool.

Phooey! Lol Well, I'm pretty sure it is a male because it is very bright pinkish when its not stressed out so it doesn't really look like the pics except for the markings. I'll see if I can try and get a pic of the smaller one in my tank.
 
ah ha!!

Woohoo! Someone came through with an ID. Beaut was on the right track, it is a Coris venusta, Elegant Coris wrasse from Hawaii. Grows to 7" so mines still a baby. ;]
 
the timorensis looks like a female to me too
males have green in them between the orange streaks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 15 36.6%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 7.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 5 12.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new