Wrasse For 60 Gal Cube

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys.
So I would classify myself as a pretty intermediate reefer. I have had few tanks and now I finally got the tank that I have always wanted... a 60 gallon rimless CAD light versa. I didn't necessarily want a CAD light but I have always loved cubes and wanted a bigger tank (bigger for me).

What are some good wrasse that aren't "beginner wrasse" like 6 line and such that would be good additions to my tank.

In my tank is one green chromis, that was given to me, softy corals and LPS. I will be adding SPS soon.

Thank you guys for always helping me.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink streak, maybe the flashers.. What's the dimensions of your tank?

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I'm assuming you want reef safe) Christmas wrasse, yellow chest, nearly any flasher, fairy, or if you really want a challenge you could go with a leopard (make sure it's eating well before you buy it.. quarantine for at least 2 weeks and put a container of sand in the QT to allow it to burrow)

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking about a leopard. Is it unheard of to get them eating pellets?

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's possible... it may take some effort though. When choosing one from your LFS, make sure it's at least eating brine shrimp (preferably frozen) and feed the same thing when you pick it up. You'll want to try to ween from brine to frozen and then eventually to pellets (doesn't always happen) just getting them onto frozen can be a challenge! I've also seen these guys go crazy for live black worms, so maybe keep a serving of those on hand

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok cool. I will do that for sure. What do you think about a yellow banded possum wrasse in there? I have had two of them before and love them once they start to not be as skittish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the flashers, a small fairy species, any of the Wetmorella species, Pseudocheilinops ataenia would work.

You could do a leopard, but just make sure the tank is established for at least 6 months, preferably a year.

And also make sure the tank is well covered as wrasses are notorious jumpers.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You have to "train" them in QT, but I'm 2 for 2 with getting my leopards to eat pretty much everything I feed, including pellets. Just check on the specific leopard you want to keep, some are more difficult than others. For example, the potters leopard is a notoriously bad shipper and tougher to acclimate.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have to "train" them in QT, but I'm 2 for 2 with getting my leopards to eat pretty much everything I feed, including pellets. Just check on the specific leopard you want to keep, some are more difficult than others. For example, the potters leopard is a notoriously bad shipper and tougher to acclimate.
Thanks for that advice. I will check into them before hand.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was thinking about a yellow coris because I transfered some rocks over from my previous tank that had a few flatworms. I've heard they take take of them

Best Fish-Jake

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about a yellow coris because I transfered some rocks over from my previous tank that had a few flatworms. I've heard they take take of them

A lot of wrasse, including the yellow coris, will eat critters such as flatworms. Just know that not all of them do and that it varies from fish to fish.

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have just heard people having the most success with the yellow coris for eating flatworms

Bluecbs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess you should put in flashers, leopards and possums first bfore the fairies, imo (my yf flasher hid for 10days after i put in my latticed bf, i thought he was a goner)

If you want other types if fish for flatworms, i' ve read somewhere that springeri damsels eat those too.....can research that too

OP
OP
Jaag

Jaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I'm thinking about putting a mccoskers and a yellow coris in there. The yellow coris is for the flatworm problem I mentioned earlier. What's your thoughts?
Should I add them at the same time?

Manny'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup and used to have a yellow coris and he was a great addition to the tank. It was no problem as he ate pellets from the get-go and they are reef safe. Also, they are a beautiful bright yellow.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back