Wrasse for pest control.. All of them good?

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen Melanurus Wrasses kept in barebottom tanks, so is it an absolute "no go" with a Leopard Wrasse if I don't have sand?
Is it an absolute "no go" to keep a hermit crab without a suitable shell to change into, even though you've seen it done before?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@1stNoel my 55g wrasse tank is BB but I am planning on adding some leopards so I have three small containers filled with sand hiding behind the rocks.

1stNoel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@1stNoel my 55g wrasse tank is BB but I am planning on adding some leopards so I have three small containers filled with sand hiding behind the rocks.
I have no problem providing a few discreetly-placed containers for them to hide in.

My concern is with keeping the sand in the container, and away from the floor of the tank. I assume they spray sand everywhere when they bury themselves in.

Is there a certain type of container that works best for this? How do you keep the barebottom free of sand?

Greenstreet.1

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do bother as they go in so the little sand that settles in the tank you can just take out with a turkey baster. I used these got them from the dollar store.

d0da03563782be9728b2121bbc7570e4.jpg

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For these a target dragonett works well . I have a pair that eats anything
I've heard this before. I wonder if just the target mandarin goes for flatworms or will the red or green mandarins do the same. I fear it's hit or miss for any fish and pests.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you have a pair of yellow coris wrasse in a 72 gallon?
Wrasses do not "pair". You can likely keep two of them together provided they are not both male.

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses do not "pair". You can likely keep two of them together provided they are not both male.
Well, that's true for the regular wrasse. If you had some of the nonstandard wrasses, specifically the dragon wrasse in this case, you might be able to observe pairing.

Dragon wrasse are known to form mate pairs, and they hunt together, with one fish moving a rock and the other hunting invertebrates found from the moved rock; they alternate in this process as they quickly and effectively hunt for food.

However, most wrasses change genders over their lifetime. As such, most wrasses will not pair like the dragon wrasses will.

OP
OP
Michael43

Michael43

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I can resurrect this thread a little... What species have we narrowed it down to that will be all:

Reef and cuc safe
Peaceful
And take cover of pests like nudis and such?

I'm leaning towards a pink streaked. I'd love to do 6 line but I'm afraid of him bullying my candy basslet who is "lined" as well and very small.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I can resurrect this thread a little... What species have we narrowed it down to that will be all:

Reef and cuc safe
Peaceful
And take cover of pests like nudis and such?

I'm leaning towards a pink streaked. I'd love to do 6 line but I'm afraid of him bullying my candy basslet who is "lined" as well and very small.
Pink streaked and Wetmorella fit all of those criteria, Halichoeres chrysus comes the next closest.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chrysus isn't the yellow one right? Where does it fall short?
With chrysus, some have reported that when it reaches adult size sime cuc were picked at. This has not been my experience, but some have reported it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back