Wrasse for frag tank?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey folks. Recently got my frag system up and running. I added a couple yellow tail damsels, but would also like to add a wrasse for more focused pest/bug control for when I started really getting frags lined up. I know sixline is a common choice, but I already have one in my display and would appreciate some variety. Any wrasse suggestions, or other good utility fish suggestions, would be appreciated. Not too keen on a tang given how shallow the tank is, but would also like suggestions for any algae control fish that would be fine with the shallow tank and lack of sandbed

The system:
50 gallon 48x24x10 inches
plenty of flow, rock in corners
no sand bed

Stocking:
2x yellowtail blue damsels (Chrysiptera parasema)
2x clownfish (future, not yet added)

1703866293127.png

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a net on that thing.
I lost 2 wrasses and a blenny in mine, all jumped - wrasses been saved multiple times but eventually I didn’t catch that in time.

I strongly don’t want to put a net on mine, so for the being I’m not introducing them anymore.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
a lid is really necessary if you're keeping a wrasse. my vote goes to the yellow wrasse or 6line (if you already have one, then you know how effective they are!). if you go the yellow wrasse route i highly recommend getting 1 or 2 court jester gobie's as they help eat a lot of algae. they're like little tangs that also are reportedly to eat cyano (as per @AlgaeBarn )

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lid is really necessary if you're keeping a wrasse. my vote goes to the yellow wrasse or 6line (if you already have one, then you know how effective they are!). if you go the yellow wrasse route i highly recommend getting 1 or 2 court jester gobie's as they help a lot of algae. they're like little tangs that also are reportedly to eat cyano (as per @AlgaeBarn )
My yellow wrasse is a trip! He follows my diamond goby around the tank all day eating anything and everything the goby stirs up in the sand haha!

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lid is really necessary if you're keeping a wrasse. my vote goes to the yellow wrasse or 6line (if you already have one, then you know how effective they are!). if you go the yellow wrasse route i highly recommend getting 1 or 2 court jester gobie's as they help a lot of algae. they're like little tangs that also are reportedly to eat cyano (as per @AlgaeBarn )
I love the idea of court jester, such a pretty fish and stay quite small

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My yellow wrasse is a trip! He follows my diamond goby around the tank all day eating anything and everything the goby stirs up in the sand haha!
my yellow wrasse did the same, although with my yellow head jawfish whenever it would spit up sand.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I love the idea of court jester, such a pretty fish and stay quite small
i only ever had 1, but it was constantly grazing on everything! mainly sand/rock, but occasionally i did see it pick at my back glass.

edit: they're cheap and lots of vendors sell captive bred ones :). win-win!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 89 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back