Wrasse not swimming.

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse and he hasn’t really been swimming. He stays in the corner and doesn’t eat. Water par is Po4-.2 Ph-8.0 Nitrate-20 Mg-1400 Ca-420. Does he need more time to get used to the tank? He only swims like this.

IMG_9256.jpeg IMG_9255.jpeg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I just got a McCosker’s Flasher Wrasse and he hasn’t really been swimming. He stays in the corner and doesn’t eat. Water par is Po4-.2 Ph-8.0 Nitrate-20 Mg-1400 Ca-420. Does he need more time to get used to the tank? He only swims like this.

IMG_9256.jpegIMG_9255.jpeg
If this is a new acquisition , there is a possibility that it may have a known condition often affecting wrasses known as Many of these type of wrasses courtesy Of Jay encounter UNWD which shows neurological symptoms where it either cannot swim well, swims tail down or swims with a bent spine and despite all this, the wrasse will still attempt to feed and display no damage such as crashing into objects. Other could be depending where fish is from, cyanide capture which is delayed but the fish ends up in this state.
How was fish acclimated?
Po4 is elevated but should not have effect on fish

Last edited:
OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this is a new acquisition , there is apoosibility that it may have a known condition often affecting wrasses known as Many of these type of wrasses courtesy Of Jay encounter UNWD which shows neurological symptoms where it either cannot swim well, swims tail down or swims with a bent spine and despite all this, the wrasse will still attempt to feed and display no damage such as crashing into objects. Other could be depending where fish is from, cyanide capture which is delayed but the fish ends up in this state.
How was fish acclimated?
Po4 is elevated but should not have effect on fish
Drip acclimate for 40 mins

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Drip acclimate for 40 mins
Did you float bag first, and then after drip verify salinity and ph with that of display tank?
If it is UNWD, acclimation would not be relevant but often plays a role with a new fish introduction.

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you float bag first, and then after drip verify salinity and ph with that of display tank?
If it is UNWD, acclimation would not be relevant but often plays a role with a new fish introduction.
I always float the bag, but this time I did not. However 4 chromis were added with the wrasse and they look healthy and swimming.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always float the bag, but this time I did not. However 4 chromis were added with the wrasse and they look healthy and swimming.
How long has it been in your tank now?
Do you know the salinity in the bag it arrived in versus the salinity of your tank?
Jay

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has it been in your tank now?
Do you know the salinity in the bag it arrived in versus the salinity of your tank?
Jay
It has been in my tank for a day. I forgot to ask the lfs what salinity they were running. My salinity is .025

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been in my tank for a day. I forgot to ask the lfs what salinity they were running. My salinity is .025
We just see a lot of LFS keeping their salinity too low. Then, when fish are sold and acclimated up to full seawater, the fish are severely stressed, even with what is considered “proper” acclimation.
I would just give it until tomorrow and see if it starts feeding for you.
Jay

OP
OP
frankin09

frankin09

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just see a lot of LFS keeping their salinity too low. Then, when fish are sold and acclimated up to full seawater, the fish are severely stressed, even with what is considered “proper” acclimation.
I would just give it until tomorrow and see if it starts feeding for you.
Jay
Do you know why lfs would run low salinity?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know why lfs would run low salinity?

In a mistaken belief that it "controls disease", as well as saving money on salt costs. Hyposalinity does control some diseases, but that is lower than the LFS typically run their tanks at - 1.018 is pretty common for them.

Jay

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 115 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 88 33.2%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%
Back